Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

EARLY STAGES OF CONSIDERING THE MOVE.......HELP!!

EARLY STAGES OF CONSIDERING THE MOVE.......HELP!!

Old Jan 13th 2010, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

1diamond is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EARLY STAGES OF CONSIDERING THE MOVE.......HELP!!

Hi guys, this seems like a very friendly forum and possibly the best place to start???

My husband and I have been considering the move for some time and are now sure that this is what we want to do. The only problem is, where do we start??

My OH is in the RAF and has 2 years left until he "retires" although he will still only be 39. He is an aircraft and helicopter engineer. I am a driving Instuctor, is there a calling for this type of work?

Where and how do I "start the ball rolling"??

I hope somebody could point me in the right direction, thanks for reading guys.....
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:25 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EARLY STAGES OF CONSIDERING THE MOVE.......HELP!!

Originally Posted by 1diamond
Hi guys, this seems like a very friendly forum and possibly the best place to start???

My husband and I have been considering the move for some time and are now sure that this is what we want to do. The only problem is, where do we start??

My OH is in the RAF and has 2 years left until he "retires" although he will still only be 39. He is an aircraft and helicopter engineer. I am a driving Instuctor, is there a calling for this type of work?

I hope somebody could point me in the right direction, thanks for reading guys.....
Hi & welcome!!
This is def a good place to start. Have a look at NZIS web site for immigration information, skill shortage lists & links etc, you could try using the 'points calculator'. Hopefully others will be along to give you more direction, in the mean time research research research!! I'm sure you'll find this forum really helpful & informative, just ask for any help guidance etc.
Good luck B x
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:38 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome.

As has been stated the best place to start is the NZIS web site and find out what jobs are in demand, and how many points you would get for them and your qualifications.

A mate of mine moved down here in the 90's as an aircraft engineer for the RNZAF so it can be done but I don't know what is available these days.

As for driving intructor well I have good and bad news for you....the bad news is that New Zealand is one of the few places in the developed world where you don't have to get formal driving lessosn before trying to pass your test. Equally bad news is the standard of appalling driving that causes! (My wife and 6 year old nearly got run over this week by a girl (about 16) reversing at full speed down a main street away from a junction without using her mirrors or looking behind becuase she'd missed a car parking spot!).....

...however the good news is that there is pressure to change the law and that may include compulsary lessons (though the speed of law changes here is painfully slow). if that happens and if you can show that UK driving instructor skills are transferable then you may be in luck.

Anyway best of luck with the process.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:06 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
Hi and welcome.

As has been stated the best place to start is the NZIS web site and find out what jobs are in demand, and how many points you would get for them and your qualifications.

A mate of mine moved down here in the 90's as an aircraft engineer for the RNZAF so it can be done but I don't know what is available these days.

As for driving intructor well I have good and bad news for you....the bad news is that New Zealand is one of the few places in the developed world where you don't have to get formal driving lessosn before trying to pass your test. Equally bad news is the standard of appalling driving that causes! (My wife and 6 year old nearly got run over this week by a girl (about 16) reversing at full speed down a main street away from a junction without using her mirrors or looking behind becuase she'd missed a car parking spot!).....

...however the good news is that there is pressure to change the law and that may include compulsary lessons (though the speed of law changes here is painfully slow). if that happens and if you can show that UK driving instructor skills are transferable then you may be in luck.

Anyway best of luck with the process.
Hi just want to say welcome to the site and good luck in what you do. very helpful and friendly site, ask anything and someone will help find out the answer

Tina. x
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willand tina_h
Hi just want to say welcome to the site and good luck in what you do. very helpful and friendly site, ask anything and someone will help find out the answer

Tina. x
I am SURE hubby will get a job in his area. Alas Driving instructors are as rare as rockhorse poo!!!!! Helicopters are HUGE in NZ and he may well be able to transfer with the NZ army/navy/airforce..even if his job is not on the skills shortage list..which would surprise me, there are sooooo many helicopters in use here he would always be able to secure a job from an accredited employer I am sure. All you have to do now is choose the North Island or the South!!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:51 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1diamond

Hi and abig welcome for me too you have found one of the best places to start your journey & research

Dewb
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Hello & Welcome from us too!
Happy posting!
Old Jan 15th 2010, 11:52 am
Just Joined

1diamond is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read and reply to my post. I now have a few bits of information to start my research!!

A long road ahead.....but willing to give it 100%!!