Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Asians dominate NZ immigration

Asians dominate NZ immigration

Old Apr 5th 2013, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Asians dominate NZ immigration

Originally Posted by Tom1983
Are these asians coming in to invest and contribute to New Zealand or just come to live off the benefit system and not contribute one bit to society?

Sorry, had to be said
Yes they are coming in to invest and contribute to New Zealand and no to living off the benefit system. They have to much of a work hard ethos to fall back on others traits
Old Apr 5th 2013, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983

Now one thing I have noted is that a lot of the fish and chip shops in Christchurch are mainly owned people that look like they're from the far east, is this the case in Wellington, Auckland etc?
Is that the very far east or the nearer west?
Old Apr 5th 2013, 8:52 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Yes they are coming in to invest and contribute to New Zealand and no to living off the benefit system. They have to much of a work hard ethos to fall back on others traits
Well said.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Those days never really existed!
They did though Robbie. In the 70's in Nz my parents of middle class and no savings could afford to build a house in bucklands beach Auckland on one income and mum stayed home to look after me. Although they could not splurge on luxuries, they had 2 x cars, could eat well as food was cheap, and could even pay their bills with some left over. Life was much easier for sure.

Last edited by shocked kiwi; Apr 7th 2013 at 10:13 pm. Reason: adding
Old Apr 7th 2013, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Because our economic system, whatever we may think of it, is the one we have.

Rule one of economics. It relies on ever increasing demand. When that demand evaporates at a local level and / or is replaced by an external demand, foreign investment from developing economies, i.e. those with a new and increasing demand, will drive the system.

I'm not saying I like it and I for one like a bit of isolationism but those days are gone.
You are right and this is what scares me.John key is currently in china to increase trade and this includes exports - more more more are what the chinese want - I hate to think what the cost of food will increase to now for people living in NZ - now that we will be competing with billions of middle class in china who will pay top dollar for meat etc - what will be left over for the kiwis living here? A butcher that I know said that meat will be unaffordable for the average kiwi within 5 years.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gcr
The cynical conspiracy theorist in me says that in those days, people were to clever, could think for themselves, and couldn't be controlled like sheep. That's bad for governments.

People were happier and wanted less - that's bad for business.
I think you might be right.

Last edited by shocked kiwi; Apr 7th 2013 at 10:13 pm. Reason: adding
Old Apr 8th 2013, 4:30 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

I wonder how long it'll be before John Key comes out with the comedy phrase

New Zealand jobs for New Zealand workers

Or will he be calling any concerned migrant level Kiwis bigots and label them NZ first (think they're the equivalent of UKs British National Party) supporters?
Old Apr 8th 2013, 5:20 am
gcr
Forum Regular

gcr is an unknown quantity at this point

I've not been here long enough to satisfactorily know how good (or otherwise) individual Kiwi politicians are.

But I will confess to feeling uneasy that John Key has been discussing trade with China. No reason I can think of... Just a feeling.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

please can racist rants be removed?
What is wrong with asian people??? NOTHING at all - I cannot believe such horrible hateful comments from people who are or have been immigrants themselves. For crying out loud...
FYI there is NO way anyone can claim unemployment benefit until they have been in the country for 2 years.

NZ should be rejoicing that people want to live there and arrive with money, skills and hope for their future. Good luck everyone.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
They did though Robbie. In the 70's in Nz my parents of middle class and no savings could afford to build a house in bucklands beach Auckland on one income and mum stayed home to look after me. Although they could not splurge on luxuries, they had 2 x cars, could eat well as food was cheap, and could even pay their bills with some left over. Life was much easier for sure.
and did they sing around the piano and knit all their own clothes etc etc
It's 2013 people.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 7:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneRiley
What is wrong with asian people??? NOTHING at all - I cannot believe such horrible hateful comments from people who are or have been immigrants themselves. For crying out loud...
FYI there is NO way anyone can claim unemployment benefit until they have been in the country for 2 years.

NZ should be rejoicing that people want to live there and arrive with money, skills and hope for their future. Good luck everyone.
If you want posts to be looked at by the Mods you will need to report those posts. You can do that by using the Blue button with the exclamation mark, next to the karma button on the posts in question.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

I personally believe the author of the thread makes a valid point about immigration as a whole, but has maybe grinding an axe unfairly against poorly defined one group.

As an newly arrived immigrant I'll be honest, one of the main reasons I moved to NZ was to escape the 60m+ population of the UK. I feel that the electorate was never consulted about the huge increase in the population forced on us by the left. Education, jobs, healthcare and housing all under massive strain from the bulging population. Nothing against people wishing to have better lives, but I am concerned about rapid changes in population numbers and how that effects everyday life.
Regular kiwis are eventually going to be totally priced out of housing by all (myself included) skilled up/cashed up migrants (along with many other factors) and I think it healthy to debate this.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
Regular kiwis are eventually going to be totally priced out of housing by all (myself included) skilled up/cashed up migrants (along with many other factors) and I think it healthy to debate this.
One way for said Kiwis to keep-up with the 21st century is to place more emphasis on higher education (rather than on sports) and on striving for excellence rather than sit there bemoaning the demise of the "good old days".
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 9th 2013, 1:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JaneRiley

Of course there is nothing wrong with asians - I have several awesome asian kiwi friends who are equally as concerned as me and others about what is happening to NZ. It is about keeping Nz sovereignty- no one wants to see Nz become another china. If Millions of English people moved into china and had more money than the locals and started buying up all the assets and land, do you think the chinese locals would be ok with this? Would they be called racist towards english people for not wanting china to remain in local hands? There is a big difference.

Last edited by shocked kiwi; Apr 9th 2013 at 1:16 am. Reason: adding

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.