British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Asians dominate NZ immigration (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/asians-dominate-nz-immigration-792511/)

BlackCrossInResidence Apr 1st 2013 4:20 pm

Asians dominate NZ immigration

No surprise there, especially if you live in Central Auckland.

"The double-whammy impact of Immigration's 'centre of gravity' paired with China's one-child policy was a disproportionate advantage to parents applications from China," said NZ First MP Denis O'Rourke.

"Parents from China filled up more than half the total parent-reunion quota, and parent reunion migrants are eligible for superannuation at age 65 after 10 years of residence."

He said sponsored migrant parents were a burden on health care, superannuation, housing and welfare.

Last July, the parent category was re-launched as a two-tier scheme, where applicants needed at least $65,000 and prove they could bring $500,000 to New Zealand to be in tier one, where applications would be processed faster.

"It appears the new policy has increased the parent application from China even more, with most just transitioned from 'centre of gravity' to tier one," Mr O'Rourke said.

Figures he obtained showed applicants from the UK had dropped from 1157 to 637, but Chinese applications rose from 4891 to 5830....."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10874680

shocked kiwi Apr 2nd 2013 9:28 pm

Re: Asians dominate NZ immigration

Yes I am living in Auckland - this is a very asian city now. The shops and small businesses are mostly asian owned. If you are in a mall and look around at the people shopping, it will appear about 80% asian. It is great if you already own property in Auckland as there are many wealthy immigrants moving here so that many properties are selling well above their G.V. The other day a property in Epsom sold for 2.5 million (its g.v was 1.5 million) to a chinese property developer who is intending to bowl the house an build 2 x luxury townhouses. It is a bummer if you are trying to buy your first house though.

Tom1983 Apr 3rd 2013 4:33 am

Are these asians coming in to invest and contribute to New Zealand or just come to live off the benefit system and not contribute one bit to society?

Sorry, had to be said :)

Jan n Neil Apr 3rd 2013 5:22 am

It,s not the UK, you have to work here they dont give away free money :)

theghostofdustybin Apr 3rd 2013 8:26 am

Odd that's the case isn't it.? People moving to live in another country thats far from their homeland in the hope of a better life. That'll never work.

shocked kiwi Apr 3rd 2013 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Tom1983 (Post 10637519)
Are these asians coming in to invest and contribute to New Zealand or just come to live off the benefit system and not contribute one bit to society?

Sorry, had to be said :)

Yes well its great as they are bringing lots of their money into Nz and that is what is needed to grow the economy. Nz cannot survive with only 4 million people like it used to prior to globalisation - and are hoping to get approx 15 million new people from asian countries to immigrate over the next 20-30 years which is good as they definitely have the money needed by Nz - I guess that it is changing from Nz's old ties with uk/europe to the asia region - and apparently shanghai is the place more Nzers are going for their Big O.E now which is different from the traditional uk/europe O.E.

Mark Smith Apr 3rd 2013 9:04 pm

Mmm hot topic, lets add some more fire. I work in healthcare and treat a lot of elderly immigrant parents at the expense of the state/DHB/PHO. Chronic diseases such as diabetes/copd/PVD usually require expensive management and in my case courtesy of the taxpayer. I seem to remember having a very expensive medical and having to satisfy immigration NZ that I wouldn't be a burden on the state. Are some pigs more equal than others? I will add that the vast majority are lovely people and it is a pleasure to assist in their well being. Looks like nowhere is perfect and I'm very grateful to live on the mainland or whatever its called now.

shocked kiwi Apr 3rd 2013 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Mark Smith (Post 10638941)
Mmm hot topic, lets add some more fire. I work in healthcare and treat a lot of elderly immigrant parents at the expense of the state/DHB/PHO. Chronic diseases such as diabetes/copd/PVD usually require expensive management and in my case courtesy of the taxpayer. I seem to remember having a very expensive medical and having to satisfy immigration NZ that I wouldn't be a burden on the state. Are some pigs more equal than others? I will add that the vast majority are lovely people and it is a pleasure to assist in their well being. Looks like nowhere is perfect and I'm very grateful to live on the mainland or whatever its called now.

Yeah I think that that the asian kids should pay for medical if they bring their elderly parents here as they can afford it. I also don't agree that the elderly asians can get the pension after 10 years even though they have never paid taxes here. I guess the nz govt are so keen to get the rich kids here that they are offering incentives and extras that they can't get in other places.

Mark Smith Apr 3rd 2013 9:17 pm

The same should be for any immigrant group, not to scapegoat asians etc. My old folks are walking health time bombs, when they decide they want to move over will be discouraged.

shocked kiwi Apr 3rd 2013 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Mark Smith (Post 10638958)
The same should be for any immigrant group, not to scapegoat asians etc. My old folks are walking health time bombs, when they decide they want to move over will be discouraged.

I know. Its not like before - where you buy and house and pay off a mortgage over 20 or 30 years - what some of the asians can afford to do is pay cash a 500k apartment in akl central for their kids to live in while they paying 50k or whatever it is - for their kids to go to uni. It's eye watering. And for a local kiwi you feel like a poor peasant as you can't compete.

BlackCrossInResidence Apr 3rd 2013 9:56 pm

And from the Chinese immigrants perspective:-

This translated by Google from http://news.skykiwi.com/na/zh/2013-03-14/156537.shtml New Zealands largest Chinese web site.

....Old Liu, and the side of many elderly people did a lifetime of revolution in China, the sons and daughters of immigrants to New Zealand, and the children came to New Zealand, despite the contribution is not done to New Zealand, they can still receive the money for pensions in the world heaven enjoying their later years.

To foreigners fat pension? The New Zealand Government is not a little silly? Sounds a bit silly, but this is New Zealand's pension system. New Zealand's pension system provides, whether it is New Zealand's own citizens, or foreigners who have permanent residency, as long as the age is at least 65 years old and lived in New Zealand for 10 years, will be eligible to apply for a pension.

Robbie2010 Apr 3rd 2013 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi (Post 10638952)
Yeah I think that that the asian kids should pay for medical if they bring their elderly parents here as they can afford it. I also don't agree that the elderly asians can get the pension after 10 years even though they have never paid taxes here.

What about elderly europeans? or is it just asians/chinese you don't like?

benhila Apr 4th 2013 3:43 am

I wonder why the moderators aren't intervening and shutting down this disgustingly racist thread? Quoting Tom1983: sorry, had to be said.

Dorothy Apr 4th 2013 3:59 am

Originally Posted by benhila (Post 10639392)
I wonder why the moderators aren't intervening and shutting down this disgustingly racist thread? Quoting Tom1983: sorry, had to be said.

Have you reported it? The mods don't know you're offended unless you tell them.

Mark Smith Apr 4th 2013 4:53 am

I for one don't think it racist to worry that taxpayers money is being spent on super for immigrants - be they Europeans, American or Asian. Suppressing debate and crying racism simply breeds contempt in the people locked out of property or job markets by cashed up newcomers. So please by all means snuff out debate like this and feed the real extremist nutters and racists - of which Tom is not.

I'd like to make my position very clear, I feel uneasy about immigrants of ALL countries bringing over non contributing elderly relatives for healthcare and pensions - mine included. And by pigs, I'm paraphrasing Animal Farm not slandering a specific ethnic group.
Jeeeeez.