Reload this Page >

Ashburton - Places to live advice required

Ashburton - Places to live advice required

Old Jun 10th 2013, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

Geoff_Rhodes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ashburton - Places to live advice required

Hi folks,
We are arriving in July to start work in Ashburton and have a rental home provided for 6 weeks but need to find somewhere to rent before the end of August. So if anyone has any previous or current experience of good areas to live in and around Ashburton we would appreciate your advice.
Cheers
Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of
Default Re: Ashburton - Places to live advice required

Originally Posted by Geoff_Rhodes
Hi folks,
We are arriving in July to start work in Ashburton and have a rental home provided for 6 weeks but need to find somewhere to rent before the end of August. So if anyone has any previous or current experience of good areas to live in and around Ashburton we would appreciate your advice.
Cheers

Avoid the East Side of town...live on the West....or over the bridge in Tinwald...but pick and choose your roads.....where you working?
Old Jun 13th 2013, 5:50 am
Just Joined

Geoff_Rhodes is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Pixiewink, any reasons?

Are there bad roads and good roads, are you talking about crime rates or ??

Going to be working for the district council on Baring Square looking after asset management.

We are being given a temp place near the hospital but its only for 6 weeks but will be looking for somewhere straight away for when container lands.

Tinwald is an option but not many rentals there from what I can find.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 11:17 am
Just Joined

snowbunni is an unknown quantity at this point

None of it's that bad. The area around the hospital and council offices is one of the better bits of town.

Tinwald is OK, not really that different to anywhere else in town, but a bit cheaper because it's over the bridge.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Geoff_Rhodes
Cheers Pixiewink, any reasons?

Are there bad roads and good roads, are you talking about crime rates or ??

Going to be working for the district council on Baring Square looking after asset management.

We are being given a temp place near the hospital but its only for 6 weeks but will be looking for somewhere straight away for when container lands.

Tinwald is an option but not many rentals there from what I can find.
Hi
As with everywhere yes there are roads that you would prefer not to live....even in what are considered very good areas such as Allenton, & i am talking from experience.....Not so much crime rates....more unsavouries....noise and late night visits to properties, beauty often has its warts & Ashburton is no different.....

Not all rentals are advertised on the net....once you get into your job I am sure someone will know someone who knows someone with a rental or have a rental of there own....check the papers & register with the agencies in town when you arrive....

Do you have family coming with you?

Good luck with the final preperations where are you coming from?
Old Jun 13th 2013, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snowbunni
None of it's that bad. The area around the hospital and council offices is one of the better bits of town.

Tinwald is OK, not really that different to anywhere else in town, but a bit cheaper because it's over the bridge.
Hi snowbunni
how long have you lived in Ashburton? didn't expect to find anyone on here from Ashburton...small world
Old Jun 14th 2013, 3:10 am
Just Joined

If you work at the council the noise and animal control people will give you a good idea of where not to live!

Pixiewink - about 3 years but in NZ for 10ish
Old Jun 14th 2013, 9:02 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I live not a meeellion miles away.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

i lived in Ashburton for about 2 yrs but worked there for about 8 yrs.
As has been said previously.. there are not any "bad" areas. You might get a bad neighbour.. but no where really run down.

i lived in Tinwald for a few months and to be honest.. the difference driving over the bridge is all of 5 minutes.. unless the train comes through.. then add another 5 minutes.

Ashvegas.. much maligned.. but a nice introduction to NZ.. one i would not have missed.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DeepSix
i lived in Ashburton for about 2 yrs but worked there for about 8 yrs.
As has been said previously.. there are not any "bad" areas. You might get a bad neighbour.. but no where really run down.

i lived in Tinwald for a few months and to be honest.. the difference driving over the bridge is all of 5 minutes.. unless the train comes through.. then add another 5 minutes.

Ashvegas.. much maligned.. but a nice introduction to NZ.. one i would not have missed.
DeepSix how long ago did you live in Ashburton?
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pixiewink
DeepSix how long ago did you live in Ashburton?
i last lived in Ashburton in 2004
Old Jun 18th 2013, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DeepSix
i last lived in Ashburton in 2004

Ok, some time ago then....we arrived in Ashburton 2005....its changed soo much in the last 7 years...its not the quiet little town it used to be unfortunately......
Old Jun 18th 2013, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pixiewink
Ok, some time ago then....we arrived in Ashburton 2005....its changed soo much in the last 7 years...its not the quiet little town it used to be unfortunately......
i lived there until 2004 but i worked there virtually every day until 2011

so yes i saw it grow a lot.. i remember the hulabaloo when subway came to town..!
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 1:01 am
Just Joined

jaffa57 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys I will be arriving in Ashburton 2nd week of Feb 2014 will have a place supplied by my company for a month tops then need to find my own rental what sort of price can I expect to pay and any rough areas to avoid

thanks
Old Jan 4th 2014, 8:39 am
Just Joined

$300 to $400 a week should get you a decent enough 3 bed house in an OK part of town. $300 being an older house and $400 being something quite new or bigger. It's a bit less if you go outside of town.

There's nowhere particularly bad in terms of areas, maybe the odd street that's not so good.

Rentals go quickly in Ashburton.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.