British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Ashburton - Places to live advice required (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/ashburton-places-live-advice-required-799752/)

Geoff_Rhodes Jun 10th 2013 11:42 pm

Ashburton - Places to live advice required

Hi folks,
We are arriving in July to start work in Ashburton and have a rental home provided for 6 weeks but need to find somewhere to rent before the end of August. So if anyone has any previous or current experience of good areas to live in and around Ashburton we would appreciate your advice.
Cheers :)

pixiewink Jun 11th 2013 2:10 am

Re: Ashburton - Places to live advice required

Originally Posted by Geoff_Rhodes (Post 10750683)
Hi folks,
We are arriving in July to start work in Ashburton and have a rental home provided for 6 weeks but need to find somewhere to rent before the end of August. So if anyone has any previous or current experience of good areas to live in and around Ashburton we would appreciate your advice.
Cheers :)

Avoid the East Side of town...live on the West....or over the bridge in Tinwald...but pick and choose your roads.....where you working? :thumbup:

Geoff_Rhodes Jun 13th 2013 5:50 am

Cheers Pixiewink, any reasons?

Are there bad roads and good roads, are you talking about crime rates or ??

Going to be working for the district council on Baring Square looking after asset management.

We are being given a temp place near the hospital but its only for 6 weeks but will be looking for somewhere straight away for when container lands.

Tinwald is an option but not many rentals there from what I can find.

snowbunni Jun 13th 2013 11:17 am

None of it's that bad. The area around the hospital and council offices is one of the better bits of town.

Tinwald is OK, not really that different to anywhere else in town, but a bit cheaper because it's over the bridge.

pixiewink Jun 13th 2013 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Geoff_Rhodes (Post 10754481)
Cheers Pixiewink, any reasons?

Are there bad roads and good roads, are you talking about crime rates or ??

Going to be working for the district council on Baring Square looking after asset management.

We are being given a temp place near the hospital but its only for 6 weeks but will be looking for somewhere straight away for when container lands.

Tinwald is an option but not many rentals there from what I can find.

Hi
As with everywhere yes there are roads that you would prefer not to live....even in what are considered very good areas such as Allenton, & i am talking from experience.....Not so much crime rates....more unsavouries....noise and late night visits to properties, beauty often has its warts & Ashburton is no different.....

Not all rentals are advertised on the net....once you get into your job I am sure someone will know someone who knows someone with a rental or have a rental of there own....check the papers & register with the agencies in town when you arrive....

Do you have family coming with you?

Good luck with the final preperations where are you coming from? :thumbsup:

pixiewink Jun 13th 2013 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunni (Post 10754865)
None of it's that bad. The area around the hospital and council offices is one of the better bits of town.

Tinwald is OK, not really that different to anywhere else in town, but a bit cheaper because it's over the bridge.

Hi snowbunni
how long have you lived in Ashburton? didn't expect to find anyone on here from Ashburton...small world :cool:

snowbunni Jun 14th 2013 3:10 am

If you work at the council the noise and animal control people will give you a good idea of where not to live!

Pixiewink - about 3 years but in NZ for 10ish

Charismatic Jun 14th 2013 9:02 am

I live not a meeellion miles away.

DeepSix Jun 16th 2013 5:53 am

i lived in Ashburton for about 2 yrs but worked there for about 8 yrs.
As has been said previously.. there are not any "bad" areas. You might get a bad neighbour.. but no where really run down.

i lived in Tinwald for a few months and to be honest.. the difference driving over the bridge is all of 5 minutes.. unless the train comes through.. then add another 5 minutes.

Ashvegas.. much maligned.. but a nice introduction to NZ.. one i would not have missed.:thumbup:

pixiewink Jun 16th 2013 8:12 am

Originally Posted by DeepSix (Post 10759031)
i lived in Ashburton for about 2 yrs but worked there for about 8 yrs.
As has been said previously.. there are not any "bad" areas. You might get a bad neighbour.. but no where really run down.

i lived in Tinwald for a few months and to be honest.. the difference driving over the bridge is all of 5 minutes.. unless the train comes through.. then add another 5 minutes.

Ashvegas.. much maligned.. but a nice introduction to NZ.. one i would not have missed.:thumbup:

DeepSix how long ago did you live in Ashburton? :thumbsup:

DeepSix Jun 17th 2013 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by pixiewink (Post 10759131)
DeepSix how long ago did you live in Ashburton? :thumbsup:

i last lived in Ashburton in 2004

pixiewink Jun 18th 2013 12:33 am

Originally Posted by DeepSix (Post 10760842)
i last lived in Ashburton in 2004

Ok, some time ago then....we arrived in Ashburton 2005....its changed soo much in the last 7 years...its not the quiet little town it used to be unfortunately......

DeepSix Jun 18th 2013 9:47 am

Originally Posted by pixiewink (Post 10761953)
Ok, some time ago then....we arrived in Ashburton 2005....its changed soo much in the last 7 years...its not the quiet little town it used to be unfortunately......

i lived there until 2004 but i worked there virtually every day until 2011

so yes i saw it grow a lot.. i remember the hulabaloo when subway came to town..!

jaffa57 Jan 3rd 2014 1:01 am

Hi guys I will be arriving in Ashburton 2nd week of Feb 2014 will have a place supplied by my company for a month tops then need to find my own rental what sort of price can I expect to pay and any rough areas to avoid

thanks

snowbunni Jan 4th 2014 8:39 am

$300 to $400 a week should get you a decent enough 3 bed house in an OK part of town. $300 being an older house and $400 being something quite new or bigger. It's a bit less if you go outside of town.

There's nowhere particularly bad in terms of areas, maybe the odd street that's not so good.

Rentals go quickly in Ashburton.