Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Apply for citizenship in NZ and medical question.

Apply for citizenship in NZ and medical question.

Old Apr 27th 2019, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

becton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Apply for citizenship in NZ and medical question.

Hello!

I have an Australian passport so I can pretty much turn up at the airport in NZ and tell them I'm staying. I did that about 18 years ago and stayed for five years before coming back to the UK. I want to move back to NZ now but I now have children.

This complicates things though as they have a UK passport only. So I have been told that I will need to apply for visitors visas for my children and then once in NZ apply for citizenship for them. This worries me as if they were to be declined we would have moved to NZ and brought our pets over etc etc etc and moving back to the UK will not be a good move!

I don't see why they would be declined, but my daughter does have allergies and carries epipens for anaphylaxis. Does anyone happen to know whether this would be a reason for her visa to be declined?? Or does anyone have any advice in general about applying for the visa there? Having one or both declined would be a nightmare!

Thanks so much,
Becca
Old Apr 27th 2019, 10:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apply for citizenship in NZ and medical question.

Originally Posted by becton
Hello!

I have an Australian passport so I can pretty much turn up at the airport in NZ and tell them I'm staying. I did that about 18 years ago and stayed for five years before coming back to the UK. I want to move back to NZ now but I now have children.

This complicates things though as they have a UK passport only. So I have been told that I will need to apply for visitors visas for my children and then once in NZ apply for citizenship for them. This worries me as if they were to be declined we would have moved to NZ and brought our pets over etc etc etc and moving back to the UK will not be a good move!

I don't see why they would be declined, but my daughter does have allergies and carries epipens for anaphylaxis. Does anyone happen to know whether this would be a reason for her visa to be declined?? Or does anyone have any advice in general about applying for the visa there? Having one or both declined would be a nightmare!

Thanks so much,
Becca
I'm sure the NZ experts will be along shortly, but in the meantime, are you actually applying for visas for the children, or citizenship? They are two very different things.
Old Apr 27th 2019, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Sorry!! You’re right, I’d be applying for a visa so they can stay. After five years I can apply for citizenship for them.
Old Apr 28th 2019, 12:50 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by becton
Hello!

Thanks so much,
Becca
Having allergies does not preclude your child from being eligible for NZ residency. It is not on the list of medical conditions that cause concern.

Yes. You will need to show that you are permanently resident in NZ first hence the suggestion that you apply for visitors visas for your children. I am assuming here they are young and dependent.

You have not mentioned a partner - and I am not being nosy on that one . To remove the children from the UK you will need permission from the other parent if that person is not accompanying you.
If they are coming to NZ with you and are not NZ / Oz then it will be a partner visa application.

Old Apr 28th 2019, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi BEVS,

My children are eight and I have sole parental rights so taking them out of the country isn't a problem thankfully.

I had tried to Google and find what medical issues precluded visas but couldn't find it, so that's good to hear.

I just wish they could get full visas here and it wasn't such a risk taking us all there for them not to get it.