Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Application Advice please! :)

Application Advice please! :)

Old Aug 10th 2006, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all
Default Application Advice please! :)

I was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice please regarding mine and my husbands EOI. We have submitted this with a points total of 105 which we appreciate is a little on the low side and so we are applying for jobs frantically to try and boost this with an offer. Unfortunately in our profession (Graphic Design) it is difficult to secure work from a distance as viewing portfolios of work and talking these through with prospective employers is key.

I was wondering about whether or not applying for a working holiday visa would be a good idea so we could sell up over here and set off as though it was all permanent and then secure work on our arrival as we have had positive feedback from people that we are very 'employable' people. Unfortunately aside from the obvious risks involved in this strategy I don't know if it is even possible. Can you apply for a working holiday visa if you have an EOI in the pool as they seem to be a conflict of interest really and I don't know how they would look upon this.

If anyone can offer me any words of wisdom I would be most grateful, whether it be about this option or other possibilites that would enable us to action our plans whilst waiting, rather than just waiting.

Thanks

Amy
Old Aug 12th 2006, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Application Advice please! :)

Originally Posted by DiffordA
I was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice please regarding mine and my husbands EOI. We have submitted this with a points total of 105 which we appreciate is a little on the low side and so we are applying for jobs frantically to try and boost this with an offer. Unfortunately in our profession (Graphic Design) it is difficult to secure work from a distance as viewing portfolios of work and talking these through with prospective employers is key.

I was wondering about whether or not applying for a working holiday visa would be a good idea so we could sell up over here and set off as though it was all permanent and then secure work on our arrival as we have had positive feedback from people that we are very 'employable' people. Unfortunately aside from the obvious risks involved in this strategy I don't know if it is even possible. Can you apply for a working holiday visa if you have an EOI in the pool as they seem to be a conflict of interest really and I don't know how they would look upon this.

If anyone can offer me any words of wisdom I would be most grateful, whether it be about this option or other possibilites that would enable us to action our plans whilst waiting, rather than just waiting.

Thanks

Amy
Hi Amy,surely applying for a working visa is totally possible,but to the point of selling up is surely extremely risky!
As is typical of a lot of answers in this field,why don't you consult the experts at the Expo-see what is advised,otherwise have yourselves a lovely-but expensive holiday and check it out-either way-good luck to you.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 1:47 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Application Advice please! :)

There is Jobs in the paper every other day for Graphic Designers, I would recommend that you both check www.seek.co.nz and www.herald.co.nz and then sign up with a couple of agencies get some interviews set upa nd take the plunge for a few weeks holiday or even 1 week and get yourselves a couple of offers, which would not be hard.

I wish you luck and speak from experience as this is the way I did it and like you my occupation was on the required occupations list.

See ya, if you need anymore please just ask.

Andy