Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's worth taking,what's not.

What's worth taking,what's not.

Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's worth taking,what's not.

What is worth shipping and what is not? So far we've arranged to have furniture and beds moved,but no electrical equipment.
What about towels,bedding,glassware,etc? Kids?
Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

chrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What's worth taking,what's not.

Hi Danny

I'd say bring what u can fit - almost everything but leave the kids!!!!! Seriously thought we brought most stuff and don't regret it as its hard and time consuming to find relacements. Didn't bring phones or washer (only cos it wasn't worth it) - prices are comparable here for most electrical goods see Warehouse or K-mart sites. If it works and is in good order then bring it!!!
hope this helps some,

Chris
Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What's worth taking,what's not.

Originally Posted by chrisvan
Hi Danny

I'd say bring what u can fit - almost everything but leave the kids!!!!! Seriously thought we brought most stuff and don't regret it as its hard and time consuming to find relacements. Didn't bring phones or washer (only cos it wasn't worth it) - prices are comparable here for most electrical goods see Warehouse or K-mart sites. If it works and is in good order then bring it!!!
hope this helps some,

Chris
Thanks Chris,
that helps. We've heard that TVs and DVDs aren't compatible - is that true?
Danny
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Bring everything you can... things here arnt as cheap as you may think or been lead to believe. We left certain items at home and now say to everyone bring everything that you can fit in.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by danny.f
What is worth shipping and what is not? So far we've arranged to have furniture and beds moved,but no electrical equipment.
we just bought laptop and playstation (hubbys) and also mobile phones (make sure they are not locked to a network), but didnt bring beds or much furniture...I now regret not bringing towels and bed linen as although they are not expensive, I just find that the cheaper ones we bought initially are pretty crap compared to cheaper stuff in the uk, (like tesco/asda bed linen)

I dont have expensive tastes int his sort of stuff, just need it to be practical

also finding that the towels get fluff all over everything even when they have been washed several times, so have to wash them seperately, were as in UK I used to bung them all in together as there are only 2 of us in our house
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Thanks Chris,
Danny
Forget the TV's - unless the children just want to play games on them - don't know about DVD's - still trying to work out how to use the TV to its full potential!
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 7:35 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Bring the lot cos it's not cheap to set up here and nice to have familiar stuff around too. :-)
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Chris,
Danny
Hi Danny,

We brought our TV's here. What a fab picture we've got. You just need to buy a NZ video recorder to link up and you have your sound and picture. UK DVD's play ok on UK player, but when you start buying NZ DVD's, you will then need to buy a multi format DVD player. We brought all our electricals including a huge fridge and freezer, tumble dryer, microwave etc, we also brought plenty of bedding, extra quilts and towels. We brought our phones and they work no bother. We have no regrets bringing as much as we could, as most of our things are under 2 yrs old.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

westies is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the rough

Bring the lot, why buy all over again, save your money to spend on something you havent got or never had!!
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Ladies and gentlemen-thank you all so much for your swift replies and advice,we are extremely grateful. That gives us a lot to go on,and hopefully you've saved us enough to treat anyone around at Christmas to a large family bbq. Have it extremely massively!!
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Ladies and gentlemen-thank you all so much for your swift replies and advice,we are extremely grateful. That gives us a lot to go on,and hopefully you've saved us enough to treat anyone around at Christmas to a large family bbq. Have it extremely massively!!
Hi Danny,
We brought everything except the TV, & we are glad we did. We even brought the rotary washing line (!!! ) but no ground socket for it, & so far can't find a ground socket - may have to use a parasol stand in Summer!! could be fun !
Its ok i know i'm mad
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:12 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

i plan on taking everything from the rotary washing line (and spike) to entire kitchen contents, gardening tools (soaked in dettol of course), fishing gear, linen, clothes, cot, duvet - everything as if i was moving house. i might even do a trip down ikea and buy a load of assembly furniture to take with us. dont have money to burn as such, but if i can put off spending over the next two years then that cant be bad?

edited to ask: can you bring food with? not fresh or perishables... powdered and tinned stuff.

also, i love flanders poppies - do you see those in NZ? could i get away with bringing some seeds do you think??!

and finally - i use soapnuts to wash my clothes. they are a natural subsitute to washing powder etc. they grow on trees and are harvested in Nepal. youg et them in bags and they look like sticky sweets i wonder if i could bring those too? (1.5kilo of these will wash your clothes, car, oven, hair and just about anything else for a year. at a cost of £10)!!

Last edited by dreamfish; Aug 2nd 2006 at 9:15 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:36 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dreamfish
i plan on taking everything from the rotary washing line (and spike) to entire kitchen contents, gardening tools (soaked in dettol of course), fishing gear, linen, clothes, cot, duvet - everything as if i was moving house. i might even do a trip down ikea and buy a load of assembly furniture to take with us. dont have money to burn as such, but if i can put off spending over the next two years then that cant be bad?

edited to ask: can you bring food with? not fresh or perishables... powdered and tinned stuff.

also, i love flanders poppies - do you see those in NZ? could i get away with bringing some seeds do you think??!

and finally - i use soapnuts to wash my clothes. they are a natural subsitute to washing powder etc. they grow on trees and are harvested in Nepal. youg et them in bags and they look like sticky sweets i wonder if i could bring those too? (1.5kilo of these will wash your clothes, car, oven, hair and just about anything else for a year. at a cost of £10)!!

Do not bring anything that is plant material. It will be impounded and it's to stop disease spreading into plantlife here. Don't bring things like that.
I'm from Cambs to by the way!
When you get here research a business brining them in legitimately and perhaps that will be your niche here.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Re food stuff- I don't know about putting it in a shipping container but I declared my herbal tea bags and chocolate as we entered NZ on both holidays and they were fine with those.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumomonty
I'm from Cambs to by the way!
Me too.... we are from Cambs (Peterborough)... just sold my small house on the South Lincs/Cambs border but all our family live in Cambs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.