Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone in the Papamoa / Tauranga area???

Anyone in the Papamoa / Tauranga area???

Old Feb 7th 2007, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Family Maidment is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone in the Papamoa / Tauranga area???

Hello - we're arriving at Easter. Oh has a job to start as a Plumber in Tauranga.

We were in NZ during Aug 04 -Aug 05 and enjoyed our time we holidayed at the Papamoa Top10.

We are looking as Papamoa as a place to live as we sort of know it (only holiday) and just wondering if any of you can give us any advise. We have been recommended Bethlehem as a lovely place to live, but I have a strong feeling we will not be able to afford a house there.

We do have a boy of 7 and a boy of 2.

Which is the better school? - I notice they are zoned - which one should we try for (if any!!)

Their are two Kindies - again which is the one to aim for?

Once we arrive I need to find a part-time job quickly. How easy will it be for me to get child care for the 2 year old (three in July)?

How long will it take oh to travel to Greerton in the rush?

Has all the new sub divisions meant Papamoa has no community?

Can you recommend a good trustworthy Estate Agent we can contact from the UK.

Do you know of any possible (cheep) rentals we stay in upon arrival?

We were based in Taradale (Napier) when we were over for the year, and loved Taradale - though Hawks Bay was too isolated for us (though we did manage to get tickets to see Rod at Mission and be able to walk home - well stagger) - hence Tauranga.

Sorry for all the questions.

We know no one, in the Tauranga - so if any of you want to make contact - that would be fab.

I noticed someone was getting a meet together last December - it would be lovely to get to know some of you.

Thanking you in advance

Jo
Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:50 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone in the Papamoa / Tauranga area???

Originally Posted by Family Maidment
Hello - we're arriving at Easter. Oh has a job to start as a Plumber in Tauranga.

We were in NZ during Aug 04 -Aug 05 and enjoyed our time we holidayed at the Papamoa Top10.

We are looking as Papamoa as a place to live as we sort of know it (only holiday) and just wondering if any of you can give us any advise. We have been recommended Bethlehem as a lovely place to live, but I have a strong feeling we will not be able to afford a house there.

Which is the better school? - I notice they are zoned - which one should we try for (if any!!)

Once we arrive I need to find a part-time job quickly. How easy will it be for me to get child care for the 2 year old (three in July)?

We were based in Taradale (Napier) when we were over for the year, and loved Taradale - though Hawks Bay was too isolated for us (though we did manage to get tickets to see Rod at Mission and be able to walk home - well stagger) - hence Tauranga.

We know no one, in the Tauranga - so if any of you want to make contact - that would be fab.

I noticed someone was getting a meet together last December - it would be lovely to get to know some of you.

Thanking you in advance

Jo
Hi Jo, welcome to the site.

We have friends who've been in Papamoa since Oct; there observations are in my "Straight from the horses mouth" thread.

We are arriving in the same area at the beginning of April. We've found a furnished rental for the 1st 8 weeks which we are about to confirm. Our problem with finding rentals was we have 2 big dogs. Is it just you adults & kids?

We have a 14 yr old, will be 12 yr old, 8 yr old (boy) and 4 yr old (3rd girl!)

If I have a little time in the morning I will PM you what I know about the area from friends & research. What kind of job do you do?
Old Feb 8th 2007, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

My 10 year old son attends Mount Maunganui Intermediate, 14 and 15 year old sons and 17 year old daughter attend Mount Maunganui College. Within a week of all boys being at school they were all moved up a year as the schools said it was accademically beneficial for them. The Mount Schools are not zoned so when we finally move from rented accomodation to our own we will not have to move 4 screaming kids from their friends and trust me they make them very quickly!

We don't live in Papamoa so can't help you there. Would suggest when you arrive that you find an Estate Agent that you like and he/she will also be able to show you properties from other agents. We found a fantastic one who has lived in the area all her life and even helped us with a rental (with dog too!). You will be arriving at a good time of year to get a rental, there are lots in Papamoa and you will have no problem at all.

Although Greerton isn't very far away, you will have to use the Welcome Bay roundabout, which is be no means like the M25, more like Tesco car park on a Saturday!

We have been here since November and haven't quite found the right house to buy but are living in a fantastic rental and are waiting for the right one to come along, there are lots of houses in all areas up for sale. Selling houses in New Zealand is expensive so make sure when you buy it is the right one.

Let me know if I can help further.

Liz & Co
Old Feb 9th 2007, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

orca05 will become famous soon enoughorca05 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Family Maidment

Thanking you in advance

Jo
Hi
We lived in Paps for 3 years and have just moved to Omokoroa.(near Bethlehem)
After 3 years we got tired of living somewhere flat ,expensive and windy but it is a great place to start when you first come to nz.
There are lots of different daycare and kindys in Paps and you won't have much trouble getting your kids into these.St Marys(my youngest child went there)Little footprints,Bright Beginnings are good ones.
The most popular school is Tatahi Coast school which is zoned and I do highly recommended getting a rental in the zoned area as you won't get in they are pretty strict.Once your kids are at that school you can move or buy out side the zoned area.
The best kindy is Arataki kindy as a lot of Tatahi pre schoolers go there.
The traveling time to Greeton will take about half an hour depends on what time you are travelling in the morning.
Paps has a community spirit and you will get this as your kids are at school but it is a big place and you will have to make a big effort to start with.
Eves at the Mount is good for renting but a really nice trust worthy estate agent whom we have used and highly recommend is a guy called Owen Phelps at First National Property Advocates(AH 07543 0530) or (07578 8887)
By the way if you go for a cheap rental that is what you will get and you will get what you pay for so.It would proably be worth paying as much as you can as staying somewhere even for a short time that is totally not nice will seem like an eternity.
Hope your move to NZ is sucessful and it is good you came to have a good look around before moving here permanantly.I am sure you will be happy with Paps as it has everything and if you want to come to Omokoroa for a beer or coffee then just pm me and we could meet up as I know what it is like to arrive in a different place and not know anyone.
Good luck in your big move at Easter!!
Old Feb 10th 2007, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Family Maidment is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you - you the information and offers to meet up once we arrive.

Today I am having second thoughts re Papamoa - don't know why - hence my new thread Papamoa vs Bethlehem.

Let me know if you can help on this one.

Thanks again

Jo
Old Mar 8th 2007, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

ex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really nice

Hi Our friends have just put up a website about their move to Papamoa you might find it useful www.newlivesnewzealand.com Linda