Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone out there in Hamilton?

Anyone out there in Hamilton?

Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:44 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone out there in Hamilton?

Have tried before but to no avail!

Anyone living in Hamilton...

Will be working on West side of river and after some advise about districts?

Can anyone help?

Tan
Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:45 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone out there in Hamilton?

Originally Posted by Tan0410

Can anyone help?

Tan
Hi there,
I've only recently moved to Whitby from Hamilton. The sum total of all I can tell you is in the city guide in the Wiki section. Some of the earlier entries in my blog may give you a feel for the place, other than that, I can't help. I enjoyed my time there but circumstances dictated a change of scene.
Karen
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:00 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Karen,

Completely forgot about that. Had looked previously and remember the guide being very useful.

Then sleep deprivation set in!

Tan
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:59 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Can anyone help?

Tan
Hiya - good luck in ole Hamilton. I was born there and spent the first 19 years of my life there very happily. Only moved away because the rest of the world was there.

Grew up in Dinsdale then moved to Pukete/St Andrews. Dinsdale is an old suburb and had a great primary school - I could be quite out of date by now though.

Pukete/St Andrews are established now, new about 15-20 years ago and the street my parents still live on Cherrywood St, won a 'nicest' street award a few years back. Nawton area when growing up was compared to nappy valley ie young families and small houses, but not sure how that area is now.

Sorry - probably not very helpful since I am about 10 years out of date.

I really miss Hamilton - since I have been gone the cafe, restuarant and night life has improved immensely - I am quite impressed when I go back and visit. For an inland city, it's got alot going for it.

Last time I was there the growth seems to be in the north east side of the city - Flagstaff/Rotouna - loads of new suburbs there.

I really like St Andrews/Pukete - close to the highway to Auckland and you can cross over to the east of the River to get over to Chartwell way etc.

Good luck!!
Old Jan 15th 2008, 9:43 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
Hiya - good luck in ole Hamilton. I was born there and spent the first 19 years of my life there very happily. Only moved away because the rest of the world was there.

Grew up in Dinsdale then moved to Pukete/St Andrews. Dinsdale is an old suburb and had a great primary school - I could be quite out of date by now though.

Pukete/St Andrews are established now, new about 15-20 years ago and the street my parents still live on Cherrywood St, won a 'nicest' street award a few years back. Nawton area when growing up was compared to nappy valley ie young families and small houses, but not sure how that area is now.

Sorry - probably not very helpful since I am about 10 years out of date.

I really miss Hamilton - since I have been gone the cafe, restuarant and night life has improved immensely - I am quite impressed when I go back and visit. For an inland city, it's got alot going for it.

Last time I was there the growth seems to be in the north east side of the city - Flagstaff/Rotouna - loads of new suburbs there.

I really like St Andrews/Pukete - close to the highway to Auckland and you can cross over to the east of the River to get over to Chartwell way etc.

Good luck!!
Dinsdale, now thats a name from the past.

Spent some time there myself doing some papers at Waikato Uni.

Lived on corner of Aberdeen and Dinsdale road.

Oh those early morning bus rides into town with the frost and fog.

It really was a great place to live Everything was easy to get too - and now with the work they have done Auckland is far closer (not sure really if that is a good thing )
Old Jan 18th 2008, 1:03 am
Just Joined

Cram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant future

Can anyone help?

Tan

Hi Tan

I have been in Hamilton a little over 2 months now and so far i cant complain. I also work on the West side and were originally looking to find somewhere in Dinsdale but after getting here and talking to the people i work with and the people my company hired to sort us out somewhere to live we looked into St Andrews / Pukete and are now looking to buy in the same area. Don't have anything against Dinsdale or other areas but was advised St Andrews / Pukete were the better areas out of our options.

Good Luck

Mark
Old Jan 19th 2008, 4:30 am

Thanks for reply Beginning to think no one ever moves there!

Don't suppose you have kids and know anything about childcare?

Tan
Old Jan 19th 2008, 4:38 am
Just Joined

Cram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant future

Thanks for reply Beginning to think no one ever moves there!

Don't suppose you have kids and know anything about childcare?

Tan

2 kids (or not so kids) 16 and 17 year olds so no sorry don't know anything about childcare.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 5:28 am
Banned

pioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nice

I work in Hamilton up at the Hospital lots of us Poms up that way actually I think 50% of the staff. I dont live up there so can not comment on locations there are a coupl of areas to avoid, just look before you leap so to speak is the best advice.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 7:59 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pioneer7
I work in Hamilton up at the Hospital lots of us Poms up that way actually I think 50% of the staff.
I worked at the Hnery Bennett Centre for over a year and would agree with you about the number of expats employed there, we quite often outnumbered the locals
Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:04 am
Banned

pioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nice

Originally Posted by karonious
I worked at the Hnery Bennett Centre for over a year and would agree with you about the number of expats employed there, we quite often outnumbered the locals
Oh some of my Passengers escape I mean come from there.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:13 am
conquering the world!

Originally Posted by pioneer7
Oh some of my Passengers escape I mean come from there.
do you mean patients or staff!!