Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

anyone know/experience car repairs

anyone know/experience car repairs

Old Jan 21st 2015, 8:08 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default anyone know/experience car repairs

so some of you might be aware that whilst on our road trip we had an accident in the car. so we are now back and have taken to local panel beaters who are awaiting the bidding calculator to come in before they can put the quote through to the AA.

Anyone know what the hell a bidding calculator is?
Old Jan 21st 2015, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone know/experience car repairs

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
so some of you might be aware that whilst on our road trip we had an accident in the car. so we are now back and have taken to local panel beaters who are awaiting the bidding calculator to come in before they can put the quote through to the AA.

Anyone know what the hell a bidding calculator is?
No idea but rang OH to see if he knows, him working for an insurance company and all! Not answering his phone so must be in a meeting. OH visited many a panel beater on both islands when checking out suitable ones to get accreditation for Lumley. Sorry I can't help
Old Jan 21st 2015, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Had a bit of a Google and it seems to be something to do with the actual cost of repairing it back to pre-crash condition, which is the goal. Then the insurance company can make a decision on whether to approve the repairs or write it off. I think!
Old Jan 21st 2015, 9:24 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

but are they actually "bidding" on parts like you would on ebay? he said "no one else had put a bid in" so could I lose it if someone else out bids my panel beater. seems a very strange way, if it is, to do things. surely you just go to the manufacturer and get a price or is that just to sensible?
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 3:57 am
Account Closed

but are they actually "bidding" on parts like you would on ebay? he said "no one else had put a bid in" so could I lose it if someone else out bids my panel beater. seems a very strange way, if it is, to do things. surely you just go to the manufacturer and get a price or is that just to sensible?
No idea on that and OH hasn't heard of it either. Is it with an AA recommended panel beater?
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 5:50 am

Yes with an AA approved company. Oh well will just have to wait it out, thanks for asking OH
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that the AA puts the job out to tender, as it were and this invites bids to ascertain what would be the lowest price to fix it. I think that they then can dictate where you should take it, if your local fella is not the cheapest.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 8:01 am

aww that would make sense
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 9:10 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: anyone know/experience car repairs

Yep, repaired by the lowest bidder. Remember that next time you do an emergency stop .
Old Feb 1st 2015, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

Seems a stupid way to go about things to me but what do I know. Why not have a preferred list of panel beaters? I'm biased about this because that's exactly what my OH set up at Lumley.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 10:29 pm

all still as clear as mud.

the auction bid thing seemed to be for the parts as it was a registered panel beater. He initially just stuck it out there for Vauxhall but no one came back, unbelievable I know , so I a mentioned that he did know that it was technically a Holden/Opal so he stuck it out to them and got a hit the next day. Sent the quote the AA who have now approved the quote and we are now just waiting for the parts to arrive so he can fix, which should be over the next few weeks. So I now have a loan car from the panel beaters until mine is fixed which has been a great what with today being the first day back to school and the heavens have opened.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 12:35 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

They didn't know Vauxhall was pretty much Holden/Opel
You'd have thought those in the business would have some idea, oh well.

I have a Holden but have a tendency to call it a Vauxhall since that's what it looks like!

Hope you get it sorted out soon. It's chucking it down here too
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 3:57 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
They didn't know Vauxhall was pretty much Holden/Opel
All GM group. As is Daewoo actually.
Old Feb 4th 2015, 1:49 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know Daewoo was also under GM, however I am not in the automobile business and shouldn't be expected too