Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any UNLIMITED WIRELESS Broadband Internet Connection?

Any UNLIMITED WIRELESS Broadband Internet Connection?

Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Any UNLIMITED WIRELESS Broadband Internet Connection?

Originally Posted by mickey_d
As is the same wherever you are, we still use string & tin cans down here

I know many people who use Virgin & are very happy with it.
I'd be happy with it though if I were getting TV, phone & Broadband for $70, instead of $250ish.
You'd only get that with Virgin if you were living in a fibre optic area and even moving 5 mins down the road in Brighton from our last place that did have it (and it was great), we couldn't access that from our new place - and it wasn't that cheap, around £60 a month for all. It took them a month to switch on our new service and then it continually koncked out. Sky - yes we had all 3 but the service regularly dropped out (ie we had to keep restarting our wireless router) and it was exceedingly slow.

Here (according to my friendly Chorus engineer who I am now on good terms with the amount he's been out to see us!) they are planning on having 80% of New Zealanders within reach of fibre optic provided broadband up to 20 whatsits by the end of next year. That would be a nigh on impossible (and very expensive) task in the UK and it's not Openreach laying it so you have no choice but to go with Virgin (at least that is my understanding?). Sometimes having a smaller population does have its benefits

We fell out massively with Slingshot as their customer service was appalling and switched to Telecom who had a phone for me so I could ring my poorly mum in the first 20 minutes. But I'm sure others use Slingshot with no problems Broadband took a while longer but that was just because of some connection problems to our house.

Again, my friendly Chorus engineer informed me that the reason Telecom removed the unlimited download is because NZ does not have enough datalines between it and America/rest of the world to sustain it (there is a new cable between NZ and America proposed at a cost of $600 million ). He said he doubts Slingshot will be able to maintain its unlimited service - if the main provider can't then what hope has a third tier supplier? were his exact words. It's all a bit beyond me, I just want to press the 'on' button and for my machine to work