Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any UNLIMITED WIRELESS Broadband Internet Connection?

Any UNLIMITED WIRELESS Broadband Internet Connection?

Old Aug 7th 2010, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

msi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nice
Default Any UNLIMITED WIRELESS Broadband Internet Connection?

Any UNLIMITED WIRELESS Broadband Internet Connection in NZ?

It should be UNLIMITED - no download/upload limits and WIRELESS (surfing while travel on a Laptop) - speed not a big concern.

Could not find any UNLIMITED plans in NZ....

Wireless Broadband still relatively new in NZ.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 8:28 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any UNLIMITED WIRELESS Broadband Internet Connection?

Come back in 10 years
Old Aug 7th 2010, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Come back in 10 years
There won't be any in 10 years either, or in 100 years for that matter.

There aren't any truly unlimited services in the UK either, and it's never going to happen!
Old Aug 7th 2010, 8:51 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

From your description you are talking about mobil broadband via a mobile phone network. Good luck on finding any unlimited such service globally - phone network providers charge lots for data and always have limits AFAIK, otherwise the network would be swamped.

Better to research free wireless hotspots along your intended route, after all you canĀ“t REALLY need unlimited amounts of data on a truly mobile basis - how are you going to power the laptop??
Old Aug 13th 2010, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

drrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nice

Originally Posted by msi geek
Any UNLIMITED WIRELESS Broadband Internet Connection in NZ?

It should be UNLIMITED - no download/upload limits and WIRELESS (surfing while travel on a Laptop) - speed not a big concern.

Could not find any UNLIMITED plans in NZ....

Wireless Broadband still relatively new in NZ.
Wired or unwired, there are no unlimited internet data plans here in NZ.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:50 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drrobert
Wired or unwired, there are no unlimited internet data plans here in NZ.
Slingshot do an unlimited ADSL (wired) plan.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

Originally Posted by simonsi
Slingshot do an unlimited ADSL (wired) plan.
Do you use Slingshot? From what I've read, this is a fairly new service, and I'd be vey interested to hear what it's like. I've seen a few bad reviews claiming it's slow, and they "prioritise" internet traffic when their network gets congested. I've also heard that it's only available on a limited number of exchanges and you have to sign up for a minimum of 2 years at $80 per month, and sign up for their phone service as well. not sure if this is all 100% true, so any experience of the service would be good to hear.

All of the UK services that have tried to offer unlimited Internet have failed after they quickly run out of capacity, so it will be interesting to see if this can be made to work in NZ.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 8:58 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by rushmere
Do you use Slingshot? From what I've read, this is a fairly new service, and I'd be vey interested to hear what it's like. I've seen a few bad reviews claiming it's slow, and they "prioritise" internet traffic when their network gets congested. I've also heard that it's only available on a limited number of exchanges and you have to sign up for a minimum of 2 years at $80 per month, and sign up for their phone service as well. not sure if this is all 100% true, so any experience of the service would be good to hear.

All of the UK services that have tried to offer unlimited Internet have failed after they quickly run out of capacity, so it will be interesting to see if this can be made to work in NZ.
Yes I do though not on the unlimited service - which is currently the $80/mth but there are data limited plans for a lot less - starting at $30 and no you don't have to sign up for 2yrs although you need to if you want the free wireless router etc etc. Full details are on their website. No idea about exchange availability other than we can get it, there is an address checker on their website.

Speed for us is nearly 20Mb download so pretty fast. I don't know of any ISP that doesn't do some prioritising when the network gets congested, what else are they to do??? That sounds like a typical comment from someone who doesn't understand that the internet physical network isn't infinite...

So far I'm very pleased but have a look at their website for ful details etc...
Old Oct 4th 2010, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I do though not on the unlimited service - which is currently the $80/mth but there are data limited plans for a lot less - starting at $30 and no you don't have to sign up for 2yrs although you need to if you want the free wireless router etc etc. Full details are on their website. No idea about exchange availability other than we can get it, there is an address checker on their website.

Speed for us is nearly 20Mb download so pretty fast. I don't know of any ISP that doesn't do some prioritising when the network gets congested, what else are they to do??? That sounds like a typical comment from someone who doesn't understand that the internet physical network isn't infinite...

So far I'm very pleased but have a look at their website for ful details etc...
Thanks, sounds like a decent service that's worth a closer look. It's not the traffic prioritisation that's the worry, like you said, all ISP's have to do it. It's the danger of unlimited plans creating so much congestion that the prioritisation has to become unduly aggressive. Personally, I'd rather have limited traffic with decent performance rather than an unlimited service with unpredictable performance. I'm only just starting my research into NZ internet services, so thanks for the useful information.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 9:28 pm
It is what it is Member

...It's the danger of unlimited plans creating so much congestion that the prioritisation has to become unduly aggressive....
Usually that prioritisation works against the unlimited users though (by targetting large download files, the type of stuff you would want unlimited data for).

There are also "free" periods on all the limited slingshot plans where data downloaded doesn't count against the data entitlement, always twixt 2 and 8am but for stuff you can schedule it would be on top of your data plan.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

There won't be any in 10 years either, or in 100 years for that matter.

There aren't any truly unlimited services in the UK either, and it's never going to happen!
Really?
http://http://top10.com/broadband/compare/unlimited_broadband/

Last edited by mickey_d; Oct 4th 2010 at 9:41 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 9:41 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Yep, look at the traffic management and fair usage policies on those suppliers and you will see how they do it. Basically if your data amount is "unlimited" then you can expect your speed to be throttled back (which obviously limits/reduces your data download in a given period) at busy periods etc etc.

No free lunch.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, look at the traffic management and fair usage policies on those suppliers and you will see how they do it. Basically if your data amount is "unlimited" then you can expect your speed to be throttled back (which obviously limits/reduces your data download in a given period) at busy periods etc etc.

No free lunch.
Yes, but it is still unlimited!
From what I read you can download over 100gb/month before you are classed as a heavy user, so unless you grossly abuse it you'll be fine.

& we can only dream of those prices!!

Last edited by mickey_d; Oct 4th 2010 at 10:56 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 11:15 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Yes, but it is still unlimited!
From what I read you can download over 100gb/month before you are classed as a heavy user, so unless you grossly abuse it you'll be fine.

& we can only dream of those prices!!
remember Sky is still ADSL via the phone line and Virgin is still via fibre cable (ie the old NTL), both are still subject to those contentions rates so the actual user experience may not be as good as suggested depending on your local contention rate.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

remember Sky is still ADSL via the phone line and Virgin is still via fibre cable (ie the old NTL), both are still subject to those contentions rates so the actual user experience may not be as good as suggested depending on your local contention rate.
As is the same wherever you are, we still use string & tin cans down here

I know many people who use Virgin & are very happy with it.
I'd be happy with it though if I were getting TV, phone & Broadband for $70, instead of $250ish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.