Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

ANY TIPS FOR KEEPING COOL!!

ANY TIPS FOR KEEPING COOL!!

Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:44 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ANY TIPS FOR KEEPING COOL!!

we just bought a portable air conditioner! It's ugly as sin, but it's amazing.
We just do one room with it - the bedroom, but it's like a little bit of the arctic in there. Absolute bliss. It was money well spent!

We've got ceiling fans too that we brought with us and they're good but not nearly as effective as the ac.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
we just bought a portable air conditioner! It's ugly as sin, but it's amazing.
We just do one room with it - the bedroom, but it's like a little bit of the arctic in there. Absolute bliss. It was money well spent!

We've got ceiling fans too that we brought with us and they're good but not nearly as effective as the ac.
Can I ask how much you paid for it. Our bedroom although south facing is really hot these past few days. I would rather have a cold bedroom than a hot one. At least you can layer up if you are cold, nothing much to do once you are down to just your skin when hot!! LOL.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:14 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirl
Can I ask how much you paid for it. Our bedroom although south facing is really hot these past few days. I would rather have a cold bedroom than a hot one. At least you can layer up if you are cold, nothing much to do once you are down to just your skin when hot!! LOL.
it was $800 i know its a lot but it was present money!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:46 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

My DD went for a sleepover at a friends house last night, (down in Rolleston) and they slept on the trampoline in the end, cos it was too hot inside

It's a bit fresher here today but very pleasant none the less
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:49 am
Just Joined

rosyroyal is an unknown quantity at this point

YEH,MOVE TO SPAIN...ITS F#####G FREEZING HERE !!!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rosyroyal
Now my inlaws moved to spain for the better winter weather. Were they telling porkies!! They live in Mallora though!!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

If you only have air conditioning (heat pump) in the living room, drag a foam mattress or sleeping bag in there, or make up the couch with sheets if it's long enough, on particulary hot nights, and keep the A/C going....
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:59 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I just jumped in pool - lovely and refreshing/sobering! In absence of pool or friends having one nearby, I suggest fill bin with cool water and dip self in it ...
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:39 am
A land far far away

actually that reminds me of when we first arrived - it was a scorching summer so we bought one of those big paddling pools from the Red Shed for $100 - filled it up and jumped in - it was ace.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:05 am
Banned

Scouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really nice

We've got air-con in the house, but I just bought a fan from the Warehouse for the downstairs apartment (no aircon there) for $50, and it even has a sleep mode which starts nice and cool but then slows down for the overnight whilst you're asleep (because, apparently, we get cooler anyway then). It also has various timer settings.

For $50, you can't go wrong eh?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black Sheep
If you only have air conditioning (heat pump) in the living room, drag a foam mattress or sleeping bag in there, or make up the couch with sheets if it's long enough, on particulary hot nights, and keep the A/C going....
I like this one Black Sheep!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scouse Dave
We've got air-con in the house, but I just bought a fan from the Warehouse for the downstairs apartment (no aircon there) for $50, and it even has a sleep mode which starts nice and cool but then slows down for the overnight whilst you're asleep (because, apparently, we get cooler anyway then). It also has various timer settings.

For $50, you can't go wrong eh?
Another good un!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rosyroyal
Maybe a consideration when we retire LOL!!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Him and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by P2L
My DD went for a sleepover at a friends house last night, (down in Rolleston) and they slept on the trampoline in the end, cos it was too hot inside

It's a bit fresher here today but very pleasant none the less
More back here! cold enuf to freeze the nuts of a brass monkey my dear

means we could take up our friday night's of mayhem again
Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:29 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

We have a forecast of 31 on Friday,

I feel a day at the beach coming on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.