Reload this Page >

Any T1 Diabetics onboard?

Any T1 Diabetics onboard?

Old Dec 16th 2020, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Catsmilk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any T1 Diabetics onboard?

Hiya,

Are there any T1 Diabetics onboard that are or have migrated to NZ in the last few years?

TIA
Cate
Old Dec 17th 2020, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

KOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any T1 Diabetics onboard?

Originally Posted by Catsmilk
Hiya,

Are there any T1 Diabetics onboard that are or have migrated to NZ in the last few years?
Our son was diagnosed 6 months before we moved but he's a dual citizen so not sure if I can be of any help.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Thanks for coming back to me. I was hoping to apply for a work visa but looks like my diabetes will put a stop to that. Though it is not on the list, it does state that if the condition costs more than $41K over a 5 year period it is likely that your visa application will be declined. So I don't really see the point in applying as i am sure being a T1 diabetic would cost the healthcare system more than that.

I guess my question is - I don't suppose you have an idea on the cost involved?

TIA
Cate
Old Dec 18th 2020, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Information for tourists and immigrants
Old Dec 18th 2020, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks - i have read this and i guess what it is saying is that unless i am a resident or citizen i need to pay for it which is fine but it still looks like my diabetes will be a problem with getting a visa due to the cost involved regardless of whether i pay for it or not.

"The requirement that an applicant for a residence class visa must be unlikely to impose significant costs on New Zealand's health services is not met if, in the opinion of an Immigration New Zealand medical assessor, there is a relatively high probability that the applicant's medical condition or group of conditions will require health services costing in excess of NZ$41,000"
  1. In the case of acute medical conditions, the medical assessor will provide an opinion on whether there is a relatively high probability that the condition or group of conditions will require health services costing in excess of NZ$41,000 within a period of five years from the date the assessment against health requirements is made.
  2. In the case of chronic recurring medical conditions, the medical assessor will provide an opinion on whether, over the predicted course of the condition or group of conditions, there is a relatively high probability that the condition or group of conditions will require health services costing in excess of NZ$41,000.
  3. The following factors have no bearing on whether an applicant is unlikely to impose significant costs on health services:
    1. The ability of a person or organisation to pay for health services, pharmaceuticals, or residential care which may be required.
    2. The ability of an applicant to gain access to the private health system.
    3. The applicant’s possession of health insurance.
    4. The capacity of family, friends, or a charitable organisation to provide care for an applicant.
Old Dec 19th 2020, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

I was also suggesting that you contacted them directly as they should know the answers to your questions.

T1 thinking about NZ - diabetes.co.uk

Someone else asking the same questions (unless it is you there as well).
Old Dec 20th 2020, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

KOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess my question is - I don't suppose you have an idea on the cost involved?

TIA
Cate
No sorry. ATM we're paying the standard $5 fee for each item on the prescription but that stops once we've paid $120 I think (and that includes all the family prescriptions in a given year - so once $120 is reached the remaining prescriptions in that year are free). He's still under paediatric diabetes care at the hospital, but once he turns 18 I guess he'll have to pay for GP visits. Not sure how much it costs if you're not a citizen/resident.

I did wonder though whether had he not been a citizen would he have been be allowed into NZ when I saw that $41,000 figure.

Sorry I haven't been able to be more helpful.
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 2:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thanks - i have read this and i guess what it is saying is that unless i am a resident or citizen i need to pay for it which is fine but it still looks like my diabetes will be a problem with getting a visa due to the cost involved regardless of whether i pay for it or not.
This is not quite correct.
First and foremost what type of visa would you be applying for . Under which policy. Acceptable standard of health depends on visa.
Old Jan 7th 2021, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thank you for your responses. I plan to go in as a skilled migrant.

TIA
Cate
Old Jan 12th 2021, 2:58 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi, thank you for your responses. I plan to go in as a skilled migrant.

TIA
Cate
Back to this. Do you have a job offer? I am lagging a bit behind. Do you have more than enough points under that policy?

The diabetes should not be a problem per the Ops manual. I am assuming it is well controlled.

You would pay the usual fees and costs towards your own health as a resident or on an approved work visa. That is pay for GP or nurse appointment and pay for meds. There is no fee for hospital stays on these visas.

GP visit $40/50
Meds prescription $5 or $10 for the scrip I think. Depends how often the repeat is.
Insulin/Pumps etc - Depends what you are on . If this is available in NZ. What you would be prescribed as funded by Pharmac.