Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any regrets?...........Your last minute must sees/dos in UK.....before NZ?

Any regrets?...........Your last minute must sees/dos in UK.....before NZ?

Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Any regrets?...........Your last minute must sees/dos in UK.....before NZ?

Danny took me to Rome for my birthday - also the last time we had a weekend away on our own. I did London and Dublin with my mates but would have liked to have gone back to London as a family.Would like to have gone to Venice, only thing on our wish list of places to go that we didn't get to.
2 weeks before we left we had a long weekend in the Lakes, one of our favourite places - we had been staying with family for 6 weeks before emigrating and just needed to spend some family time together. Nowhere that I really regret not visiting apart from going back to Northen Ireland with the kids, Danny's family are from there and although the kids have been I would have liked to take them now they're older to see where they came from - not something I really thought about until we came here and they started doing work at school on their whakapapa - geneaology - and I realised that we probably haven't talked to them enough about our family history.

On a happy note (for me!) it's nearly my birthday again and one of our friends is having the kids overnight while we go to a 5 star hotel in Welly!!!!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:37 am
Just Joined

andrew jackson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any regrets?...........Your last minute must sees/dos in UK.....before NZ?

Originally Posted by Liz & Co
Before we came to NZ, hubby kitted out a van and took out 4 children (then 16,14,13 and 10) on a whistle stop tour of England and Wales. I stayed at home to look after the dog. The kids said that of all the holidays they have ever been on (Far East, Caribbean, Europe) the tour of England and Wales was the best. They are even asking is we can do the same here. I don't think I will be staying at home with the dog, for this trip!!
we rented out a camper van and went to london to pick up our visas. shit i moaned so much as all i could say was this wont be like this in nz. and you know what..... i was soo right. a bloody jobsworth told us to move on at night as it was more than his job.... no what i mean. anyway nz is so relaxed in all ways. ive been here for 3 yrs with no regret, and i only miss twiglets.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Liz & Co
Before we came to NZ, hubby kitted out a van and took out 4 children (then 16,14,13 and 10) on a whistle stop tour of England and Wales. I stayed at home to look after the dog. The kids said that of all the holidays they have ever been on (Far East, Caribbean, Europe) the tour of England and Wales was the best. They are even asking is we can do the same here. I don't think I will be staying at home with the dog, for this trip!!
Fantastic!..............................would love to hire campervan and cover the UK.......................excellent................ ......if only I had the time..................and money..................hats off to your hubby.............mine would have returned with out two before hitting the motorway
Old Aug 8th 2007, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice

hi

talking of rome, donna, paul and i are off there next week for 5 days it is a place we have always wanted to go, cannot wait.
as for the uk
we have done the very north coast of scotland including: John O Groats, Thurso, Wick and Bettyhill, it is so pretty and the weather was lovely, good fresh air and food.
living in Northumberland we have done a lot in the localish area and we are off out again on saturday, there is so much to see and do, i think we are going to Woodhorn colliery then off into the Cheviots - weather permitting
i am not sure where else we will be heading for, but we are also trying to do as much as we can before we come over, i would like to go to the Cotswolds etc i have never been there or the west coast of Scotland, we would also like to go to New York, hopefully get there for a Christmas shopping trip.

There is just so much to see in the Uk i know we are not going to have time to do half of what we want.

I think that paul will have to keep working the overtime to afford all the holidays

with regards

kirstie
Old Aug 8th 2007, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by KIRSTIE
hi

talking of rome, donna, paul and i are off there next week for 5 days it is a place we have always wanted to go, cannot wait.
as for the uk
we have done the very north coast of scotland including: John O Groats, Thurso, Wick and Bettyhill, it is so pretty and the weather was lovely, good fresh air and food.
living in Northumberland we have done a lot in the localish area and we are off out again on saturday, there is so much to see and do, i think we are going to Woodhorn colliery then off into the Cheviots - weather permitting
i am not sure where else we will be heading for, but we are also trying to do as much as we can before we come over, i would like to go to the Cotswolds etc i have never been there or the west coast of Scotland, we would also like to go to New York, hopefully get there for a Christmas shopping trip.

There is just so much to see in the Uk i know we are not going to have time to do half of what we want.

I think that paul will have to keep working the overtime to afford all the holidays

with regards

kirstie

Kirstie.......................I have to say hand on heart the cotswolds are breathtaking. My gran was born in stow-on-the-wold. Little villages around are........Bourton-on-the-water, lower/upper slaughter, lower/upper swell? think thats right .................. beautiful............driving through fords and through quaint villages. We used to hire a relatives cottage............... great memories Its amusing to read that Kate Moss, Liz Hurley & Co. all have houses in that area now.....................dont blame them.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jill1420
but was lucky enough to be just outside Edinburgh when it was on its final flight.................everyone was pulling over and getting out their cars.................what a buzz.................what a noise....................amazing!

Where in Scotland are you visiting?...........................feel free to PM re. any attractions worth visiting north of the border.
I was at Heathrow in Nov 2003 as Concorde left for it's last flight. We were used to the noise twice, a day it came over our house in Surrey!
re -Scotland we are staying at a HPB property near Callander, Tigh Mor, Trussocks. Do know the area?
We took a cruise last summer starting in Venice and stopping at 9 ports. definately happy I've seen a bit of Italy, Greece, France and Spain.
We often travel down the A303 so see Stonehenge- didn't realise it was so expensive to visit it!
I'd quite like to see Buckingham palace state rooms.
I think we'll be happy knowing that anything we don't see now we'll visit when we return to uk to visit my parents.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

helinuk - I know the area (Trossachs - Rob Roy country) but haven't visited for a few years. I have done some hillwalking in that area. Stirling castle.................the dungeon/jail tour (cant remember what they call it) worth a visit if youve got time. ................good fun! Callander nice wee town.......................I think Stirling will be your nearest city.....................where you will also see Wallace Monument...................and Blair Drummond Safari Park..................good park if youve got kids..................and its dry..................although I have visited when the rain been bouncing off the ground and kids still enjoyed themselves.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jill1420
helinuk - I know the area (Trossachs - Rob Roy country) but haven't visited for a few years. I have done some hillwalking in that area. Stirling castle.................the dungeon/jail tour (cant remember what they call it) worth a visit if youve got time. ................good fun! Callander nice wee town.......................I think Stirling will be your nearest city.....................where you will also see Wallace Monument...................and Blair Drummond Safari Park..................good park if youve got kids..................and its dry..................although I have visited when the rain been bouncing off the ground and kids still enjoyed themselves.
Karma to you! I'll note these down
cheers
Old Aug 10th 2007, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=KIRSTIE;5162798]hi

Oh you will have a fabulous time - it's really hot this time of the year! We were there a year ago next week and we loved it. Recommend the OUTSIDE tour of the Coliseum rather than the inside tour, the tour bus is great, Sistine Chapel closes at the weekend so don't plan to go at the weekend! Go to Spanish Steps at night, take some drink (or buy cheap lager from the Bangladeshis) and sit and watch the people, have a great time!
Donna
Old Aug 11th 2007, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

one last minute regret for something i should have done;

gone to the dentist and had tooth fixed that was giving me jip
had to go to dentist about 3 days after getting here......needed root canal treatment..........

$1,500 OUCH that was more painfull than the toothache

definitely recomend getting any work done thats needing done before you come out