Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any Help for Telephone Interviews

Any Help for Telephone Interviews

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

frattonlad has a spectacular aura aboutfrattonlad has a spectacular aura aboutfrattonlad has a spectacular aura about
Default Any Help for Telephone Interviews

Can anyone help...

I have a telephone interview on Tuesday morning with a Certain Ferry Company in New Zealand. They are calling me here in the UK at 8am.
Never done a telephone interview before, can anyone give any tips or has anyone had this kind of interview before please that they can tell me what kind of questions they ask.

Any advice etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

Trev & Sam
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:32 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Help for Telephone Interviews

Originally Posted by frattonlad
Can anyone help...

I have a telephone interview on Tuesday morning with a Certain Ferry Company in New Zealand. They are calling me here in the UK at 8am.
Never done a telephone interview before, can anyone give any tips or has anyone had this kind of interview before please that they can tell me what kind of questions they ask.

Thanks all

Trev & Sam
The "Search this Forum" button is your friend. Take a look here for a recent and useful thread.

Hope that helps a bit!
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

frattonlad has a spectacular aura aboutfrattonlad has a spectacular aura aboutfrattonlad has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for that

will check it out

Trev
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 5:29 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Oo er. I have just seen this.

All the very best for that telephone interview Trev. It might be I can uncross my fingers finally.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of

My Partner had a telephone interview the other day and they offered her the job the next day.

If they want to telephone interview you it is a good sign, they obviously feel you fit the bill for the job and will just want to have a chat to back up how they feel about you.

One tip is to have some ntes with you that way you don't have to try to remember questions you want to ask them.

They are likely to ask behavioural based questions like how you would react in a situation or how do situations make you feel etc.

Good luck with the interview.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 7:14 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frattonlad
Can anyone help...

Thanks all

Trev & Sam
I found the telephone interview quite difficult as there were 4 people on the line and it was a bad connection. I found I missed out on the non-verbal cues that you get talking face to face: nods, raised eyebrows etc. I found it useful to repeat their question back to them, like: "I'm not sure I heard you correctly, did you say...." so that I had time to think, and make sure I wasn't answering something they hadn't even asked. The plus of a telephone interview is that you can have your own info laid out in front of you and your partner could be shuffling papers looking for answers if you were also on speakerphone!!
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 7:17 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry we didn't have to go through one, but just wanted to wish you luck, I'm sure you're be fine
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

We had telephone interviews - they were OK. Make sure you are somewhere quiet, I had my notes spread out all round me which I found useful but I probably had too much and could have condensed it. The main things they wanted to know was why were we emigrating, how would we manage with no family, how would we cope with homesickness and how committed to coming we were. I also applied for a job that had a lot less responsibility than I was used to and they wanted to know what I thouht bout that, would it be difficult to step down etc.
Good luck with the interview and speak slowly!!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donnaf
We had telephone interviews - they were OK. Make sure you are somewhere quiet, I had my notes spread out all round me which I found useful but I probably had too much and could have condensed it. The main things they wanted to know was why were we emigrating, how would we manage with no family, how would we cope with homesickness and how committed to coming we were. I also applied for a job that had a lot less responsibility than I was used to and they wanted to know what I thouht bout that, would it be difficult to step down etc.

I had a telephone interview - very similar to Donna's.
Mine was at 10pm UK time, was dressed appropriately in comfy pj's, no make up on & a very large Vodka & Coke.
Just be yourself.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 12:43 pm
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by donnaf
Somewhere quiet in your place Donna, where was that ?? down the pub

Frattonlad, I agree with the speak slowly bit, the english accent is sometimes difficult to understand, and don't speak to much they will prompt you if they need more information.

Good luck
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 2:02 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Just relax and be your self. You will be fine.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Ted Logan;4957408]Somewhere quiet in your place Donna, where was that ?? down the pub

Fortunately my interview was 9pm - the kids were in bed and Danny was on his best behaviour being very quiet - probably because his interview was next and he wanted to listen in!
Old Jun 24th 2007, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

My telephone interviewed lasted 12 minutes! The said it would last around 30 minutes. They was a time delay and we often ended up speaking over each other! They mainly based their questions around team work. Such as how would I deal with conflict, What type of working environment I like to work in.

I forgot to ask a couple of questions and just e-mailed them the next day.

Good Luck