Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any help appreciated

Any help appreciated

Old Aug 25th 2005, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

kevandbev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any help appreciated

Hi all, we have been looking into moving to NZ for a while now, we are still weighing up the pros and cons but so far the pros outway the cons.

Our longterm ambition, is for a complete lifestyle change and to start up a business, however from researching we have found that we are unlikely to have the business experience required. We will have money to invest and have 2 business ideas which we plan to run alongside each other.

I have been working in IT for 10+ years, however do not have a degree so the Skilled Visa route doesn’t apply to me. My OH, is a forestry worker contractor but does also hold an HGV license.

Our options, we think, are to go either of the following 2 routes

Go with OH using HGV for visa, however from reading previous posts, there appears to be some restrictions on the visa, ie; having to leave after the 3 years ? Is this correct, or would we be able to apply for PR once in New Zealand.

Go out to NZ, I’m eligible for a Working Holiday Visa, OH on tourist visa and try to get work once there, trying to change visas, once and if ! we find suitable work. Not sure how risky this route is, anyone out there who’s done it ?

Any help would be appreciated, please ! as you can see we are willing to try any route, just wish I'd made the effort to go to university now !