Anti Smacking Law

Old Jul 15th 2007, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of
Default Anti Smacking Law

Is this a good idea or is this fluffy NZ going too far, I think a little smack doesn't hurt anyone.

Also do we have any law breakers here, I won't tell!

Lastly what is excessive force?

Is Akon encouraging smacking with his song smack that?

Love to see what everyone else thinks is it just me who thinks it is madness?
Old Jul 15th 2007, 9:18 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Anti Smacking Law

Originally Posted by bro69
Is this a good idea or is this fluffy NZ going too far, I think a little smack doesn't hurt anyone.

I think for the most part it is unenforceable.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

I might be wrong, and I'm happy to be put right, but we're not talking about a little smack here. The law is to stop parents beating their kids then using the excuse they were using reasonable force.
I happen to agree with it, but I'm getting used to not being able to say this out loud! I had a man in my work recently asking if I would sign a petition against it and because I politely refused I then had a woman yapping at me about how she smacked her daughter blah blah blah, I didn't know this woman, and I never said a word apart from saying no to the chap with the petition.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jude J
I might be wrong, and I'm happy to be put right, but we're not talking about a little smack here. The law is to stop parents beating their kids then using the excuse they were using reasonable force.
I happen to agree with it, but I'm getting used to not being able to say this out loud! I had a man in my work recently asking if I would sign a petition against it and because I politely refused I then had a woman yapping at me about how she smacked her daughter blah blah blah, I didn't know this woman, and I never said a word apart from saying no to the chap with the petition.
Hi Jude, Just wanted to say that I am with you on this. The law is not about little smacks, but to stop child abuse. Also, as a mother of 2 young children I can say that in my experience smacking does not actually work half as effectively as the "naughty corner", timeout etc. Plus, smacking a child "smacks" of hypocrisy - Smack a child to tell him off only teaches him that it's okay to smack - well IMHO anyway.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

I see you joined in May bro69 - we did this in March

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=smacking

Who's Akon?
Old Jul 16th 2007, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

While I was marching my 10 year old out of a shop this afternoon after she had been rude to me and her brothers she said very loudy "you're not allowed to smack me, it's against the law" - I don't think I've ever smacked her but she came pretty close at that moment, particularly while all the other parents looked discreetly away!
I agree with Leihlou, smacking is not effective discipline but as for the law stopping child abuse - it won't!

Last edited by donnaf; Jul 16th 2007 at 7:29 am.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donnaf
While I was marching my 10 year old out of a shop this afternoon after she had been rude to me and her brothers she said very loudy "you're not allowed to smack me, it's against the law" - I don't think I've ever smacked her but she came pretty close at that moment, particularly while all the other parents looked discreetly away!
I agree with Leihlou, smacking is not effective discipline but as for the law stopping child abuse - it won't!
Lucky I wasn't with you. I'd have broken the law.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Woodlea
I see you joined in May bro69 - we did this in March

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=smacking

Who's Akon?
Akon is a popular singer.

I have lots of Kiwi friends with opinions on this just thought I would see what my fellow brits thought.

NZ does have a problem, they have the second highest rate of child abuse in the western world behind South Africa, the law is not to stop kids getting aju cord on the back of the legs it is designed to stop the hand smacks really.

I got plenty of smacks as a kid I deserved them all, as I learnt to run there were plenty I missed.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Akon is a popular singer.

I have lots of Kiwi friends with opinions on this just thought I would see what my fellow brits thought.

NZ does have a problem, they have the second highest rate of child abuse in the western world behind South Africa, the law is not to stop kids getting aju cord on the back of the legs it is designed to stop the hand smacks really.

I got plenty of smacks as a kid I deserved them all, as I learnt to run there were plenty I missed.
Bizarrely,I never got smacked as a kid,but find it a last resort solution when they've lost sense of control. Rare,but it works. My wife disagrees with it entirely-but does use it. More often on me!
Old Jul 16th 2007, 10:27 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Not pc I know, but IMO there are some situations/ages which are beyond logic and reason and potentially dangerous and a short sharp shock actually defuses that, eg when you're in the supermarket and they're throwing a complete tantrum and about to hurl jars off the shelf, or out in the street about to strop off into the traffic etc. My two are now 12 and 11 and I'm constantly told how well mannered and well behaved they are. I didn't beat them when they were little, but a rap at appropriate times followed by an explanation when they'd calmed down enough to listen doesn't seem to have done them any harm.