Auckland Commute

Old Jul 11th 2007, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

misterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nice
Default Auckland Commute

Hi all,

Are what are the public transport links like between Auckland suburbs and the it's CBD? I ask as my wife and I are looking at moving to that region within the next few years - but she can't drive (and doesn't particualrly want to!)

Thanks,

Chris
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:29 am
Just Joined

welshsteve will become famous soon enoughwelshsteve will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Auckland Commute

Was there recently commuting to interviews as I forgot my licence:curse:

Bus services are generally good and not overcrowded. You may get stuck a bit coming in and going out of Auck at peak times but its not to bad
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

misterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nice

Originally Posted by welshsteve

Bus services are generally good and not overcrowded. You may get stuck a bit coming in and going out of Auck at peak times but its not to bad

Thanks for the reply welshsteve. I was in Auckland a month ago, and although public transport around the city center seemed good, I had no idea if it extended out into the suburbs etc.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:09 am
Just Joined

welshsteve will become famous soon enoughwelshsteve will become famous soon enough

I was going out to Albany and Glenfield daily so it reaches right out to the suburbs. Got caught out by missing a couple of changes though but you learn I guess
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:17 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshsteve

agian the "other planet of NZ" rears its head - lots depend upon where you might be coming from and what you are used to but its fair to say that Auckland's public transport is "patchy", I couldn't use it for a reliable commute and some places are better than others but then most Kiwis are in love with their cars/Utes/4x4s/boats/V8s/superbikes/helicopters......not many around Auckland love the bus/train (hence people find some buses a bit empty) although quite a few like the ferry!
Auckland's public transport system is nowhere near as well developed as say Birmingham/West Mids, Manchester, Newcastle, London, Teeside, Coventry - all places where I have used public transport to get to work, etc. Doubt it compares well with many other UK cities - but if you pick the right spot then you can manage. Also Greater Auckland is a large area with a low population density for a city so the routes are not as sustainable as in the UK. Buses there are and they reach most places - the service to the north shore and beyond should be much quicker when much of the bus lane improvement on SH1 opens soon - trains are patchy and rapid transit there is not.
There are park and rides on SH1 north of North Shore and they seem to be as popular as any part of the system and there now seems to be parking spaces at the Albany ones so that could work but if you dont drive then NZ (and Auckland suburbs in particular) is not the easiest place to live in. Good luck!
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

I'd be driving to work in Auckland, but my wife would be commuting. This is the one sticking point to living in the Auckland area, she'd be working at childrens hospital, so would need reliable transport. We currently live a mile out of Birmingham, so are pretty spoilt for public transport. Would the Albany are be a good place to commute out from? If so, is it a good area to live?

Are there any sites like upmystreet.com for New Zealand?
Thanks for the help all.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:59 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misterjingo
I'd be driving to work in Auckland, but my wife would be commuting...Thanks for the help all.
No worries - just found out that one of my classmates (well two years above me in YamYam school) is now parlimentaty private secretary to Gordon Brown - gawd help us!! I'm from Dudley BTW.
Anyway Starship Hospital is on the Grafton site and I drove past there today - its pretty central albeit uphill from the main bus station and most other terminus bus stops. You could get there from Albany, which is itself expanding at a very rapid rate. Check out the North Shore threads to find out about that area - some people also suggest Beachlands and points east of the CBD, others swear by West Auckland and the Titirangi area. Best to narrow down on what appeals - if you want beaches, easy commute, decent schools, etc, etc.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:05 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Oh yeah and welcome to the forum BTW
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the help lardyl .

Originally I come from Wednesbury which isn't too far from Dudley .
Although beaches would be good, currently top of the agenda is a nice area, with a small, easy, commute time to the Hospital site.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

I travel to Newmarket each day from West Auckland, I use the wonderful western line train, which now they have double tracked it as far as henderson is much more reliable than it used to be, I buy a monthly ticket for $160 which is much cheaper than buying a daily ticket, but some people buy the 10 trip ticket which is also a bit of a saving but not as much as the monthly

There are now more trains since they opened the double tracking on the 2nd July, and trains run from about 545am until 9 ish at night

if you want to go to the website for trains and treansport the site is www.maxx.co.nz

Dawn
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

Over here on the east side Howick there are regular buses into AucklandI have used occasionally and can take 1 hour plus.The ferry goes from Half Moon Bay.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed welcome to you all.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 7:10 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

The motorway from Albany to the CDB is a car park during the rush hours but some people do take the bus. Sorry can't say how good the service is or when the dedicated bus lanes will be finished but someone should be able to give you this info

I never rated the public transport system whilst in NZ as do a lot of other people, hence the number of cars crossing the harbour bridge each day.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Albany (Oteha Valley Road park and ride) to CBD by bus in rush hour is about 25min; should be quicker when they finish the busway
Old Jul 12th 2007, 7:54 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Albany (Oteha Valley Road park and ride) to CBD by bus in rush hour is about 25min; should be quicker when they finish the busway
hey and more spaces up there means that at least you can park on the car park. But when will the whole busway be finished? the Onewa Rd junction (part of the improvements) indicates 2009 - or is that just for us planet destroying petrol-heads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.