Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Another new girl...

Another new girl...

Old Apr 19th 2008, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

LindaSp is just really niceLindaSp is just really niceLindaSp is just really niceLindaSp is just really niceLindaSp is just really niceLindaSp is just really niceLindaSp is just really niceLindaSp is just really nice
Default Another new girl...

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum, in fact any forum about moving to NZ, so here goes!

My name is Linda, I'm 31 and live in Reading at the mo. I'm getting married this summer to Toby (a Brit) and we're planning to move to NZ later in the year. He's a teacher and has already received a permanent visa; I have a 23-month working holiday visa so can only work for 12 of those months although (unless we hate it when we get there, which I doubt very much) we'll apply for a permanent visa for myself after we get to NZ.

We're hoping to move to South Island, around Christchurch, although realistically we'll go to wherever Toby gets a job so at the moment that could be anywhere! I currently work in local gov't, although my working holiday visa says I'm not allowed a permanent job so I'll just fit in around Toby's work once we know where it is.

Toby's just got back from a fortnight in NZ and loved it and says I'll love it too. I'm sure I will, although I'm also incredibly nervous as well as it's a very long way to go!

Anyway, I just thought I'd say hello and introduce myself. Having looked through some of the discussions on this forum, it looks like there's a wealth of fantastic information here already so I'll check it out a bit more in a minute. I apologise in advance if I ask any random questions, although hopefully by the end of the year I may be able to answer other newbie's questions too!

Thanks for listening!
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:39 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Another new girl...

Come on down. Christchurch has its problems sure, but overall it's quite livable.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Well hey. Welcome and have some karma.

south island is all good. Enjoy.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Cyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the rough

Hi Linda,

Welcome! I'm still quite new myself but pop in now and then. I like random questions (probably won't be able to answer them but I'm sure the others will!) so fire away :-)
Sarah
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

heavenljm is a jewel in the roughheavenljm is a jewel in the roughheavenljm is a jewel in the roughheavenljm is a jewel in the roughheavenljm is a jewel in the rough

hi Linda welcome to site am still very new here myself but its very addictive and some of the advice i have had is stuff you just wont find anywhere at all, and everyone is sooooo friendly and sum funny stuff comes up along the way enjoy good luck xxx
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LindaSp
Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum, in fact any forum about moving to NZ, so here goes!

My name is Linda, I'm 31 and live in Reading at the mo. I'm getting married this summer to Toby (a Brit) and we're planning to move to NZ later in the year. He's a teacher and has already received a permanent visa; I have a 23-month working holiday visa so can only work for 12 of those months although (unless we hate it when we get there, which I doubt very much) we'll apply for a permanent visa for myself after we get to NZ.

We're hoping to move to South Island, around Christchurch, although realistically we'll go to wherever Toby gets a job so at the moment that could be anywhere! I currently work in local gov't, although my working holiday visa says I'm not allowed a permanent job so I'll just fit in around Toby's work once we know where it is.

Toby's just got back from a fortnight in NZ and loved it and says I'll love it too. I'm sure I will, although I'm also incredibly nervous as well as it's a very long way to go!

Anyway, I just thought I'd say hello and introduce myself. Having looked through some of the discussions on this forum, it looks like there's a wealth of fantastic information here already so I'll check it out a bit more in a minute. I apologise in advance if I ask any random questions, although hopefully by the end of the year I may be able to answer other newbie's questions too!

Thanks for listening!
I agree Chch is a great place to be, welcome to the forum
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

EmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really nice

Hi Linda
Wecome - you'll be on here all the time! I'm a teacher and OH a computer porgrammer hoping to move to Christchurch too, maybe later this year if we're lucky. Hope all goes well for you
Emma
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:28 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the forum
Have some karma to ease you into the way of things...........
Karen
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

LindaSp is just really niceLindaSp is just really niceLindaSp is just really niceLindaSp is just really niceLindaSp is just really niceLindaSp is just really niceLindaSp is just really niceLindaSp is just really nice

Thanks for the welcomes - and the positive comments about Christchurch too!

No doubt I'll be keeping in touch with you as things progress and popping in for advice and reassurance ... and maybe more karma as I suspect it may be desperately required as we get closer to the wedding and move!

xx