Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Another Fun One: You know youve been in NZ too long when....

Another Fun One: You know youve been in NZ too long when....

Old Dec 4th 2005, 11:27 am
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice
Default Re: Another Fun One: You know youve been in NZ too long when....

Originally Posted by sadie33138
Read this somewhere, it's how Kiwis sound to me.
New Zealand speak:

Milbun - capitol of Victoria, Australia
Peck - to fill a suitcase
Pissed aside - bug spray
pigs - for hanging clothes on the clothesline
nin tin dough - computer game
munner stroney - type of soup
min - males of the species
mess kara - eye makeup
mckennock - person who fixes cars
mere - mayor
leather - foam obtained from soap
lift - departed
kittle crusps - potato chips
dick - wooden patio attached to house
jumbo - pet name for someone called Jim
jungle bills - christmas song
inner me - enemy
guess - vapor
fush - marine animals as in "fush & chups" (fish & chips, lol)
fitter cheney - pasta
ever cardeau - avocado
fear hear - blonde
ear - mixture of nitrogen & oxygen
ear roebucks - exercise
duffy cult - not easy
amejen - visualize
bug hut - popular recording
bun button - bitten by an insect
iggs eckly - precisely
beard - a place to sleep
sucks peck - half a dozen beers
beers - large savage animals
sex - one less than seven
beggage chucken - place to leave your luggage
tata - hard deposit on tooth enamel

That is a fantastic post......Set my day up nicely - Thank you thank you thank you!!! Have some Karma!!!
Old Dec 4th 2005, 2:40 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
My local Countdown has a big sign for the "trundler Park" :-)
Hey I dont doubt you guess its just one of those things I always took for granted & never noticed the signs in the car park but will pay extra attention to them when Im home again
Old Dec 4th 2005, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

Kurtons is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Another Fun One: You know youve been in NZ too long when....

Originally Posted by sadie33138
Read this somewhere, it's how Kiwis sound to me.
New Zealand speak:

Milbun - capitol of Victoria, Australia
Peck - to fill a suitcase
Pissed aside - bug spray
pigs - for hanging clothes on the clothesline
nin tin dough - computer game
munner stroney - type of soup
min - males of the species
mess kara - eye makeup
mckennock - person who fixes cars
mere - mayor
leather - foam obtained from soap
lift - departed
kittle crusps - potato chips
dick - wooden patio attached to house
jumbo - pet name for someone called Jim
jungle bills - christmas song
inner me - enemy
guess - vapor
fush - marine animals as in "fush & chups" (fish & chips, lol)
fitter cheney - pasta
ever cardeau - avocado
fear hear - blonde
ear - mixture of nitrogen & oxygen
ear roebucks - exercise
duffy cult - not easy
amejen - visualize
bug hut - popular recording
bun button - bitten by an insect
iggs eckly - precisely
beard - a place to sleep
sucks peck - half a dozen beers
beers - large savage animals
sex - one less than seven
beggage chucken - place to leave your luggage
tata - hard deposit on tooth enamel

Brilliant - haven't laughed so much all week

Thanks for those, i'll practice a few in front of the mirror before goin out
Old Dec 4th 2005, 6:52 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
....you run out of money.....?
haha that one made me chuckle :-)
Old Dec 4th 2005, 6:57 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

me too - i thought i was the only one!!
We still use some things on an adaptor - the Dyson is one of them. It died recently so we took it to get repaired.

The people at the Dyson repair place phoned me to ask me if I'd bought it at Retravision here in NZ! Big clue - English plug!
Old Dec 4th 2005, 7:02 pm
Member of Mumo-land

1. You end every sentance with "Aye"
2. You start using words like "awesome" and "heaps" as superlatives
3. You can get drunk on 1 bottle of Steinlager
4. You know what they are talking about when the weatherman says there is going to be a sou'westerly change...
5. You start shopping at Smiths City because Kmart and the Warehouse are soo downmarket

any other offers?
You don't think it strange to buy one curtain (drape) in a pack!
You call a curtain a drape.

I get in a right mucking fuddle sometimes
Went into Mitre 10 to buy some line for the whipper snipper. They didn't know what I meant. Then I said Strimmer, then I said I dunno what you call it and just did the actions! Still dpn't know what they call it here.

I call all things the wrong names here. New World is the IGA and Countdown is Coles. I just can't think waht they are half the time but luckily now hubby knows what I mean.

!!!
Old Dec 4th 2005, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

ex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really nice

Originally Posted by mumomonty
You don't think it strange to buy one curtain (drape) in a pack!
You call a curtain a drape.

I get in a right mucking fuddle sometimes
Went into Mitre 10 to buy some line for the whipper snipper. They didn't know what I meant. Then I said Strimmer, then I said I dunno what you call it and just did the actions! Still dpn't know what they call it here.

I call all things the wrong names here. New World is the IGA and Countdown is Coles. I just can't think waht they are half the time but luckily now hubby knows what I mean.

!!!
garden strimmers are called weed eaters here
Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

1. You end every sentance with "Aye"
Being Canadian we also end much of what we say with Aye, except we spell it EH. As an example, we might say, "Sure a lot of snow eh?"

Michael
Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:17 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CWEMM02
Being Canadian we also end much of what we say with Aye, except we spell it EH. As an example, we might say, "Sure a lot of snow eh?"

Michael
A lot of us kiwis also spell it EH so guessing it just depends on where your from on how you spell it!!
Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by shepslady
A lot of us kiwis also spell it EH so guessing it just depends on where your from on how you spell it!!
Actually, I found that some of the things posted by people are the same as we have here. I am remined though when I was in Tesco's in Gravesend, Kent and asked one of the shop girls where the Q-Tips were. She did not know what I was talking about. Finally, we did find the cotton buds.

Michael
Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:26 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by shepslady
have never seen it written anywhere so i was just spelling it phonetically.

you mean to say you actually WRITE it too!!!

maybe NZ should get its own ISO computer keyboard layout with a special "Eh" button, near the Return key I would suggest so that it was handy for the end of all those sentances... perhaps the full stop key could be changed from "." to "eh." - that would help eh? ACK im doing it now !!

Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:43 pm
Isle of Wight Chick

silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future

u know when u have been here too long when the kiwis cant understand english accents.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:49 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silvermuse
u know when u have been here too long when the kiwis cant understand english accents.
Surely if you've been here long enough you'll have adapted your way of speaking so that people can understand you? I always have had to do that: I'd just be getting the locals used to me when we'd up sticks and move to another country and end up doing it again
Old Dec 4th 2005, 9:44 pm
livewire

My kids do that aye !!

Me and the DH will never change our accents and we know some brits who have been here for 35 years and they still speak proper Yorkshire. We've lived in so many different places I'm not sure how English we sound ayway.

I don't think it's necessary to change either, you just need to intonate differently, ie, don't "do" the words just the tune and end every sentence with a question?

Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:18 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

a) you getclinically depressed after 12 hours of constant grey skies
b) you forget the name of your favourite curry house
c) you forget what your favourite Dhansak tasted like
d) you look at the England team sheet (football) and you say who the h**l are those guys?
e) and what the f**k is a 'shav''?
f) every sentence needs a f**k or a s**t or a h**l for punctuation purposes!
g) British politics is on the news or BBC24 and you yawn (or did I do that in UK too?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.