Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

almost there!!!/Tax number

almost there!!!/Tax number

Old Sep 15th 2013, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

qssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really nice
Default almost there!!!/Tax number

Our move has become elongated beyond belief!!!! left the UK 20th August, 2 weeks r & r with the kids in Florida, (AKA no Disney!!!!) Now in Melbourne with friends. I have been working in Darwin (OMG Blackpool with heat and humidity)!!!!! and have work for a further 3 weeks. My poor husband, bless him knows every play park within a 10 mile radius of Mill Park!!
Can anyone tell me how to register for a, " social security/Tax/or whatever you call it" in NZ. My employer is paying me on a subcontract basis and I need to invoice? I really don't want to get into trouble, but I have looked on the NZ immigration website and can't find anything. I have been lead to believe that the first years earnings are tax free/ is this correct?
On the upside, we are really looking forward to landing in NZ and getting settled again.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: almost there!!!/Tax number

I'm pretty sure you need to be in NZ before you can register for an IRD number, I certainly did. I dont think there's any way to do it until your actually here.
And no, the first years earnings aren't tax free, your taxed on every cent from day one.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty easy, just go to the AA place with the forms (which I think you can find on the Inland Revenue website and request urgent processing, it costs about $20 or something and you need to bring some proof of ID/ right to be in the country proof. Mine came within about three days.

http://www.ird.govt.nz/how-to/irdnumbers/#01

This is how you get one.

It was the easiest part of my immigration.

Last edited by LauraNotts; Sep 15th 2013 at 1:21 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 8:00 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure I just rung them.? mind you you do need an address.
you can claim back for part year. just fill in a IR3 form next April.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

You have to be here in New Zealand. You can get the IRD form online and ge prepared in advance but you need to go into your local IRD office with it to get t processed.

Make it the very first thing that you do when you arrive. Some employers won't pay you till you have one!
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:32 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by qssue
On the upside, we are really looking forward to landing in NZ and getting settled again.