Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is it all a big mistake?! Last minute doubts

Is it all a big mistake?! Last minute doubts

Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it all a big mistake?! Last minute doubts

Originally Posted by love30stm
Links not working?
Apologies;

try this one - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#axzz2KaaMCBJl
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
First smile I've had today. Thanks.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
But that goes for being anywhere. You could be away on holiday & a parent may die, sure it's more likely if you live far away. You can't live your life on what ifs.

I don't know if I'll ever get to see my parents again and that's hard, it's not cruel though. It's just life & everyone needs to live their own life. My parents regretted not emigrating here in the 60's, they stayed because of their Mum's. So although they miss us terribly they have been fully supportive of our decision & continue to support us.

We don't have children so we'll always effectively be alone but I would hope that most parents would approach death knowing that they have done the best for their children & given them the courage to make their own way in the world.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Woah.

That's deep.

I'm certain that my family would feel cruel if I told them "I thought about going the New Zealand, but I'm not going just in case one (or more) of you dies while I'm there".
My dad has already said that. My. Mum doesn't agree though!
Old Feb 16th 2013, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
Another postiive about goodbyes being easier is if your family are 100% behind you in your move.

We thought all of our families were behind us, it's only since we've had Dylan have we found out peoples true opinions of our move. My family want me to stay out here, the wifes family - well less I say the better

Unfortunately the 14th October 2011 was the last time I saw my nan in Sheffield face to face and how ironic a year later she dies on that day. One regret I have is that Dylan will never see his great granny Sheffield whinger. But she was delighted when she heard I was moving somewhere new and i'm sure she's up there happy. We're lucky that his second great nan came over to see him, and there is a slight chance that his third great nan will be flying over in October.

When we said goodbyes to everyone, there wasn't a great deal of emotion shown as back then, everyone was behind us in our move. Being at Heathrow Airport on the 14th October 2011, ready for our Singapore flight, there was no tears, no regrets - just excitement of a new life beginning. Touching down at Christchurch was when reality struck and we were so far away from everyone. The wierd thing was the first thing I did on Monday Morning was find an internet cafe to see how Wednesday got on against the scumbags from Sheffield 2. None around but managed to get a sim card sorted for the phone and found out that way. Instead of getting ourselves round estate agents looking at places available, registering for metro cards etc - Sheffield Wednesday was the first thing to sort out. Even better was finding out two days later Westlife were splitting up!

16 months later, we've been homeless, we've had a few big shakes, we've had a few ups and downs, no regrets for us . Hoepfully it'll work out for you

Good luck
Thanks Tom. Funny you know, my biggest concern will be sorting the phone and iPad so I can get back in contact with the UK. (Since hubby can't come at first)
Old Feb 16th 2013, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS
I'd go along with that one. We've no kids carolandpete and it was some while before I realised just how completely , utterly and deeply I had broken my Dad's heart..... and also my own for that matter.
Yet, he never once tried to dissuade me. I dished all that pain out to us , all on my own.

My dad has been exactly the same. Bless his heart.