Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

to All Aucklanders :)

to All Aucklanders :)

Old Dec 4th 2006, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

ballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really nice
Default to All Aucklanders :)

Hi

Don't know if you can help or not but I am wondering what the music seen is like in auckland, to be more specific the jazz or ochestral seen. Are there many of these venus around auckland that people know of?

My greatest worry about the move is not being able to find a ochestral band i can play with or a open jazz session, hope they exist.

Have a good one, bit of a specific question but I thought I would try my luck.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: to All Aucklanders :)

Originally Posted by ballsrburning
Hi

Don't know if you can help or not but I am wondering what the music seen is like in auckland, to be more specific the jazz or ochestral seen. Are there many of these venus around auckland that people know of?

My greatest worry about the move is not being able to find a ochestral band i can play with or a open jazz session, hope they exist.

No specific info, but I'm sure you won't have a problem finding what you are looking for. I have a friend in Auckland who plays in a band, has played at various venues including Sky City. Auckland has a great music scene so I shouldn't worry. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 8:07 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ballsrburning
Hi

Hiya,

You can have a look at the NZ Symphony Orchestra's website and the Auckland Symphony website, they've got lotsa details on upcoming events and concert:

http://www.nzso.co.nz/home

http://www.aucklandsymphony.gen.nz/

Both the websites are pretty detailed and they can also send you a catalogue with upcoming concerts.

Hope this helps,

Jen
Old Dec 5th 2006, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

You should be fine, jazz is quite popular here, you often have jazz bands playing in wine bars, on the viaduct, etc. And there is Jazz in the Park during the summer. Dont know how you would go about joining one but just wanted to say that there must be loads about!
There really is nothing better than sitting outside a wine bar in the summer listening to some jazz, or watching the cricket
Old Dec 6th 2006, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Two of my work colleagues play violin in some orchestral thingy and regularly perform concerts... I'll get some details off them tomorrow and post it up for you
Old Dec 6th 2006, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

ballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really nice

Originally Posted by dlmckay
Two of my work colleagues play violin in some orchestral thingy and regularly perform concerts... I'll get some details off them tomorrow and post it up for you
excellent thanks fella that would be great, thanks for all the responses sounds encouraging. I am looking to join a amature ochestra/jazz session etc the symphony ochestras are a little bit out of my league, at the mow anyhow in years time who knows.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Here's what he has to say...
There are some orchestras in Auckland - I only know about the classical ones
This is ours:
http://www.bachnz.org.nz/

Some others:
http://www.smco.org.nz/
http://www.aucklandsymphony.gen.nz/

I believe (pretty sure) that there are also some Jazz groups
Cheers
Hope this helps!
Old Dec 7th 2006, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dlmckay
Here's what he has to say...

Hope this helps!
thanks, much appreciated.