Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Internet - Broadband

Internet - Broadband

Old Dec 6th 2006, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Maz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud of
Default Internet - Broadband

How quick is the internet in NZ. Read some crackers about it. We are going over this month (yeh) and this will be the most effective way of keeping in touch with family back home. Any info would be most grateful.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 5:52 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet - Broadband

We are on broadband with iGrin. I think there is hardly anyone else uses our exchange as it is way quicker than we had in Glasgow! - I use an iSight to talk to family a couple of times a week and have only had a glich once in over a year. We think it's excellent. We are also on a plan that has unlimited downloads! They have changed this now and have tried to get us to change to a plan that they say will suit us better with a limit that is about $5 cheaper! heehee we keep saying no thanks!
Old Dec 6th 2006, 10:18 pm
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Maz1
How quick is the internet in NZ.
At home I currently get "unlimited" speed ADSL which for me works about to be about 4 megabits per second down and 700k bits per second up. The speed you get will vary according to your distance from the exchange and your line quality.

There have been some growing pains of late as Telecom offered an "Unlimited" usage plan that sucked an awful lot of common bandwidth at exchanges, and some non-Telecom ISPs like ihug have been having infrastructure problems (which now appear to be fixed), but you get these problems anywhere.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with orcon and get 6Mbs down, 600k up and up to 5GB per month for $50. Not a bad deal really.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 8:14 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz1
How quick is the internet in NZ. Read some crackers about it. We are going over this month (yeh) and this will be the most effective way of keeping in touch with family back home. Any info would be most grateful.
My complaint is that I keep losing the connection. I have no idea who we are with because I have a man who does all that technical stuff and dusts and irons when I am at work . It just about drives me bloody daft (the connection shutting off) as I also frequent a games site and play against the clock and then lose the best score ever in the world because the connection fails. However, it could be our laptop, not the provider. I will let people know if it is the laptop once our PC arrives because it would not be fair to blame the fault on the provider if that turns out not to be the case.
Karen B