Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

After 5 years in NZ

After 5 years in NZ

Old Mar 11th 2008, 7:04 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: After 5 years in NZ

Originally Posted by pascalr
Ted, is it not a prerequisite for a hammer to be a chav?
Nah mate, that's Milwall (cough splutter)
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:43 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Its funny you should say that as it's the same answer you will get with the teenage drinking culture in UK towns.
Yeah, EXACTLY MATE

And you left UK because ?????????

Come on Dirk, that's why you feel at "home" in Kiwi land

Sweet as
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:24 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Campbells
Yeah, EXACTLY MATE

And you left UK because ?????????

Come on Dirk, that's why you feel at "home" in Kiwi land

Sweet as
I left the UK to raise my 2 yr old in a better environment that England could never give her. This is my home, I was born and raised here till the age of 23.
I lived in England for 15 years, I feel now was the right time to leave and bring up my family in an environment which is safer than what England could offer us.

New Zealand has got issues like many other countries but the issues here aren't as bad as other countries, currently the rounds is a bad boy racer epidemic, which I for one have not seen only read about. We also have a high domestic abuse and drug problem. We are also suppose to have a nasty gang culture as well.

So as stated, I haven't seen boy racers "live' in their environment, haven't come across anyone I know who has been exposed to domestic abuse or drug addiction. In the year I have been back I have only seen two gang members (both at Pak&Save).

But saying that, I'm not living in Auckland whereby a bigger population will always bring out higher incidents nor Christchurch where boy racers seem to be all the rage. Seems as Wellington is a bit dull to the rest of the country.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:56 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

I left the UK to raise my 2 yr old in a better environment that England could never give her. This is my home, I was born and raised here till the age of 23.
I lived in England for 15 years, I feel now was the right time to leave and bring up my family in an environment which is safer than what England could offer us.

New Zealand has got issues like many other countries but the issues here aren't as bad as other countries, currently the rounds is a bad boy racer epidemic, which I for one have not seen only read about. We also have a high domestic abuse and drug problem. We are also suppose to have a nasty gang culture as well.

So as stated, I haven't seen boy racers "live' in their environment, haven't come across anyone I know who has been exposed to domestic abuse or drug addiction. In the year I have been back I have only seen two gang members (both at Pak&Save).

But saying that, I'm not living in Auckland whereby a bigger population will always bring out higher incidents nor Christchurch where boy racers seem to be all the rage. Seems as Wellington is a bit dull to the rest of the country.

Ahh Dirk, you’re a Kiwi , that explains the blind patriotism

One question please, if NZ is such a great place why did you go to live in the UK for 15 years

I have heard many folk say that NZ was the land of milk & honey 15 years ago

You think the issues aren’t as bad as any other countries. For example you also think that there is no hoon problem anywhere in New Zealand whilst you live in the back end of Wellington.

The “supposed to” gang culture is very real mate, a trip to South Auckland ANY night of the week will probably give you second thoughts regards just how safe wonderful New Zealand is. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news mate, but the rot is spreading FAST , just as it did in the UK

On the crime in New Zealand, the one member here Derek Mackay ( I think) is a cop and says that there is stuff going on here that would make our hair curl and is NOT reported by the media. Sounds like a media ban to me.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:33 am
Winter hibernator

Ahh Dirk, you’re a Kiwi , that explains the blind patriotism

One question please, if NZ is such a great place why did you go to live in the UK for 15 years

I have heard many folk say that NZ was the land of milk & honey 15 years ago

You think the issues aren’t as bad as any other countries. For example you also think that there is no hoon problem anywhere in New Zealand whilst you live in the back end of Wellington.

The “supposed to” gang culture is very real mate, a trip to South Auckland ANY night of the week will probably give you second thoughts regards just how safe wonderful New Zealand is. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news mate, but the rot is spreading FAST , just as it did in the UK

On the crime in New Zealand, the one member here Derek Mackay ( I think) is a cop and says that there is stuff going on here that would make our hair curl and is NOT reported by the media. Sounds like a media ban to me.
Firstly make sure when you quote me you do it correctly.

I lived in the UK for 15 years as like many kiwis (and has been stated on here in many a thread) went for my OE and stayed a bit longer. I have now come back to settle with my family as the environment here is better than what I recently encountered in England.

My knowledge of NZ means to me that I would NEVER live in Sth Auckland, but than again I would never live in Peckham in London either. Knowing the area is something which is essential in most places

Maybe I've just chosen the right place to live !!! free from all the shit that is apparently around NZ.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:21 am
Banned

Firstly make sure when you quote me you do it correctly.

I lived in the UK for 15 years as like many kiwis (and has been stated on here in many a thread) went for my OE and stayed a bit longer. I have now come back to settle with my family as the environment here is better than what I recently encountered in England.

My knowledge of NZ means to me that I would NEVER live in Sth Auckland, but than again I would never live in Peckham in London either. Knowing the area is something which is essential in most places

Maybe I've just chosen the right place to live !!! free from all the shit that is apparently around NZ.
A kiwi on OE to UK is usually 2 years working visa right?

You stayed 15, couldn’t have been all that bad – right

Otherwise you would have been back in NZ that is sh1t free ( apparently).

Mate, we have bashed a few keys tonight and it is certainly a debate and ongoing I have no doubt.

A parting thought, if you had said you came back to NZ because of the UK weather I wouldn’t have guessed you would chose Wellington.

PS: Sh1t floats and NZ is two narrow islands
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:24 am
Winter hibernator

Mate, we have bashed a few keys tonight and it is certainly a debate and ongoing I have no doubt.

A parting thought, if you had said you came back to NZ because of the UK weather I wouldn’t have guessed you would chose Wellington.

Correct it wasn't that bad, chaving a child changed my view and decide best option is to bring her up back home.

True though, as I'm from Wellington I love it. But the RAIN and WIND can do your head in, but I don't miss the COLD
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:27 am
Banned

Correct it wasn't that bad, chaving a child changed my view and decide best option is to bring her up back home.

True though, as I'm from Wellington I love it. But the RAIN and WIND can do your head in, but I don't miss the COLD
You talking indoors or outdoors
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

You talking indoors or outdoors
never known cold like I experienced in our wooden shed in NZ.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:48 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

chaving a child changed my view

Like this?
Attached Thumbnails After 5 years in NZ-burberrybaybee.jpg  
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Avid
Like this?
Congratulations Avid!

Your holiday in NZ has produced a little Kiwi.

Kip
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:18 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

A kiwi on OE to UK is usually 2 years working visa right? Not always.
My OH has a Dutch passport as well as his NZ one so could stay as long as he liked. We actually met in Holland and he was going back to NZ but stayed because he met me My Dad was unwell and I didn't want to leave so that's why he stayed in Europe (Holland/London/Irleand) for 14 years.

As is quite obvious from posts on here over the years, people don't always stay somewhere because they want to!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 1:53 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
LMAO!! is this an admission from someone wielding one of the forums biggest howitzers? (I had the nerve to take part in a discussion about the winterless north and you accused me of calling NZ a hell hole, and then there was the one where you over reacted to my comments about the chauvenism of some NZ males?.....ah heady days!)

Now why someone would want to come half way round the world to be able to keep chickens, put to sea in a boat and grow their own veg beats me! you could've done that in the UK - anywhere from the coast of Scotland to Cornwall. But, hey each to their own live and let live .
Yes. That's why I said likewise when someone says something nice they too get shot down in flames. A bit like, erm... well, what you've just done really. And I thought you weren't supposed to get personal? How you seem to get away with it time and time again I don't know.

I wish I'd have had your valuable input before going through all that stress and moving all the way here. If only I'd known before I could've done all those things in UK. Only in case you didn't read my post properly I did say two things we'd not have had had we stayed put. Do you think maybe there just could be other reasons which are none of your business why these things might not have been possible for us in the UK?

So, yes please Nerine, take your own advice and 'let live' without having to pass personal insult or judgement on me or anyone else
Old Mar 12th 2008, 2:31 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't know that howitzers could be retrofitted with flame throwers.

When you start posting "something nice" please let me know so I can be sure not to blink and miss it.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 2:41 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.