Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

After 5 years in NZ

After 5 years in NZ

Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:22 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: After 5 years in NZ

May be a good time to invest in a de-humdifier if you've not already done so - don't go for anything fancy, just something wiht a largish water collection reservoir and not too power hungry.

When we were in a rental we found a combination of hot air blowers and oil radiators worked reasonably well. It's important to keep the bedrooms reasonably warm to prevent all the cold, moist air in the house from being attracted into them.

Bedding will feel damp when the humidity is high but just closing the room and leaving a de-humidifier running in it for a couple of hourse usually does the trick (provided your house is reasonably draught proofed and no more damp air is being drawn in)

Another way of drying out bedding pretty quickly is electric blankets (some types can be left running on a low setting all night) and its a really lovely feeling to get into a warm bed at night.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

weebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud of

WELL! That's me put in my place! I will keep my humble opinions to myself from now on.

Another reader of this thread shot down in flames and unsubscribing now

Nothing personal Ian, but your fans are too scarey
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:20 pm

Errr....wrong thread?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:43 pm
Dr. Watchers

Scottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nerine
May be a good time to invest in a de-humdifier if you've not already done so - don't go for anything fancy, just something wiht a largish water collection reservoir and not too power hungry.

When we were in a rental we found a combination of hot air blowers and oil radiators worked reasonably well. It's important to keep the bedrooms reasonably warm to prevent all the cold, moist air in the house from being attracted into them.

Bedding will feel damp when the humidity is high but just closing the room and leaving a de-humidifier running in it for a couple of hourse usually does the trick (provided your house is reasonably draught proofed and no more damp air is being drawn in)

Another way of drying out bedding pretty quickly is electric blankets (some types can be left running on a low setting all night) and its a really lovely feeling to get into a warm bed at night.
Thanks for the advice Nerine. We've got a couple of small oil filled radiators and will be looking to buy some more in the next couple of weeks. Didn't think about the dehumidifier - will get one of those too now. Cheers
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

I got a dehumidifier, but it is best to do as the Kiwis do, open the windows when it is sunny, i hardly used the dehumidifier. It is so warm during the day when the sun comes out, even in the depths of winter !
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

weebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by weebossyboots
WELL! That's me put in my place! I will keep my humble opinions to myself from now on.

Another reader of this thread shot down in flames and unsubscribing now

Nothing personal Ian, but your fans are too scarey
Errr....wrong thread?

Oh yeah, so it is! i wondered where it had gone LOL

Nevermind, I'm sure you get the point

Last edited by weebossyboots; Mar 26th 2008 at 8:16 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:08 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy2
I dont apologise for being a Brit....fact is, many immigrants seem to move on. The other fact is that many Kiwis also choose to live elsewhere. And just as much as this thread may be seen as a negative one, there are countless ones that are reflecting the balance and focusing on the positive.
You know I was going to post almost exactly the same thing in a slightly less diplomatic post but I let it go..........

I was also going to say good on ya TiggerLottie for having the courage to (i) realise you made a mistake (ii) confront it (iii) do something and then (iv) have the backbone to post here......in spite of the snide flak that you would inevitably attract.......

The reply just seems to sum up the defensive, deversionary attitude that has been spoken of and presented in the other "what's wrong with/what can we do about NZ" thread of late.......
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
I got a dehumidifier, but it is best to do as the Kiwis do, open the windows when it is sunny, i hardly used the dehumidifier. It is so warm during the day when the sun comes out, even in the depths of winter !
When it's sunny, and opening windows won't help much at night but I guess it does come down to what you think is a comfortable level of moisture and how it affects other family members' health.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:44 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

When it's sunny, and opening windows won't help much at night but I guess it does come down to what you think is a comfortable level of moisture and how it affects other family members' health.
yeah and first thing in the morning is when you get the real benefit of dry air taking the chill off the house - never mind the condensation off the windows....
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:57 am

Ever had to open the windows not just to let the moisture out but to let the heat in? That's living in a rental.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 2:21 am
you dewty owld maan!

Ever had to open the windows not just to let the moisture out but to let the heat in? That's living in a rental.
no living in Oz when the aircon's on the blink!!!
Old Mar 27th 2008, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Errr....wrong thread?
Yes I think you got the wrong thread! Imagine how Ian could have felt (were he a sensitive soul) when he read your original comment.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 3:41 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Yes I think you got the wrong thread! Imagine how Ian could have felt (were he a sensitive soul) when he read your original comment.
Originally Posted by weebossyboots
Thanks for that, Ian. Love your story but was just a bit confused at that bit. i have kiwi in-laws and they are very much like that - good with the practical help but not so much into the celebrations. In fact my ma-in-law was practically orgasmic whne she saw the choices in the shops particuarly the cards shop - plus blokes are nver as thoughful.

Don't keeps us waiting so long for the next part . . . .
to be fair to WBB she was only asking for clarification........ah the joys of a forum....and "cross" cross posting.....
Old Mar 27th 2008, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by lardyl
no living in Oz when the aircon's on the blink!!!

Difference being that the condensation is on the outside of the glass here . (The car windscreen kept misting up this morning, gawsh....the things I have to put up with!)
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I think you underestimate Ian.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.