Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

advise re housing please

advise re housing please

Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

snowy and cru is an unknown quantity at this point
Default advise re housing please

Hi we are moving to queenstown and want to rent for a while trouble is we are bringing our two dogs. So far all the estate agents do not have any rental properties that allow dogs. what is the NZ culture are they pet lovers? Also are there plenty of places to run your dogs? As they are costing more to move than us and our furniture I don,t want to make there lives a misery if they cannot run free anywhere.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: advise re housing please

We left our dog at home due to the cost. Also, it is hard to find places to let them run here without also having to take them on a drive. Good luck, but it would be so much easier to leave them at home. This is not dog friendly living down here.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by snowy and cru
Hi we are moving to queenstown and want to rent for a while trouble is we are bringing our two dogs. So far all the estate agents do not have any rental properties that allow dogs. what is the NZ culture are they pet lovers? Also are there plenty of places to run your dogs? As they are costing more to move than us and our furniture I don,t want to make there lives a misery if they cannot run free anywhere.
Hi we brought our dog,yes it does cost a lot of money but for us it just wasn't a consideration to leave him..It would be like leaving one of our kids at home (for us anyway)..We havn't found a problem here with the dog,plenty places to walk and excercise him..Fairly dog friendly here..and although most rentals say no pets they can be negotiable...Our dog was 12 when we moved him which was 18 months ago,and hes as happy as larry here...but good luck with what ever you decide to do...Jacky
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Wink Re: advise re housing please

Hi Jacky
Thanks for the reply, have just heard from an estate agent in NZ they may negotiate re our dogs I have sent him a cute picture of them both in the hope this swings their mind.

S&C
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:08 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I've not got dogs, but I did bring my two cats.

It's normal in New Zealand for dogs to be kennelled outside , rather than live in the house. The usual way to go when wanting to rent with pets is to offer a larger bond and offer to clean carpets etc.

Contact the Queenstown District Council direct for information on where you will be able to walk your dogs in the area.

If it were me, I'd also google for pet friendly accom in Queenstown and contact them regardless of whether or not it was a 'unit ', motel etc. These type of places will be pet friendly and could well know of a pet friendly rental.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jacky
Thanks for the reply, have just heard from an estate agent in NZ they may negotiate re our dogs I have sent him a cute picture of them both in the hope this swings their mind.

S&C
good luck with the rental, we brought our dog out and she loves it.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

juliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to all

Hi, we didn't bring our dog as our vet didn't recommend the flight for her as she is a german shepherd and 11 years old, we did leave her with my parents so thankfully I do still see her on the webcam.

We have since bought another german shepherd as we found it to hard and we have found kiwis to be great dog lovers - we live in Nelson and there are loads of areas for him to run free (or there will be when we trust him off the lead), he is only six months old and is as daft as a brush.

Hope all goes well with your move, i'm sure you will find sumthin that accommodates your dogs.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by juliejamesmcgrath
Hi, we didn't bring our dog as our vet didn't recommend the flight for her as she is a german shepherd and 11 years old, we did leave her with my parents so thankfully I do still see her on the webcam.

We have since bought another german shepherd as we found it to hard and we have found kiwis to be great dog lovers - we live in Nelson and there are loads of areas for him to run free (or there will be when we trust him off the lead), he is only six months old and is as daft as a brush.

Hope all goes well with your move, i'm sure you will find sumthin that accommodates your dogs.
This is our situation too Our 11 yr old dog has really bad arthritis in both hips and vet said he felt the journey was too much for him to go without having pain relief ( which you cannot give them apparently ) so he is being left with my folks. To be honest it is already making me cry thinking about leaving him but we have told the boys we will get another dog in NZ once we are settled.

Hope all goes well with your move snowy and cru

Phyl x
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

drrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nice

Look for private rental properties on trademe.co.nz. I always avoid renting properties through estate agents or rental agencies, as they charge fees and add an extra layer of complexity when something needs doing to the property.

Private renters might be more amenable to letting your dogs stay if you explain that they're well behaved.

Are there plenty of places to run dogs in Queenstown? Are you joking? Surely you've seen photos of the place - it's surrounded by beautiful hills and lakes. Your dogs will never have had it so good!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the trademe link have checked out site looks pretty good.