Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice please - What to take/pack?

Advice please - What to take/pack?

Old Aug 1st 2013, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice please - What to take/pack?

Originally Posted by elaine1810
Hi all,
My first post! My family and I are most likely coming over to the Christchurch area in November (just waiting for confirmation on hubbys job), and was after some advice please regarding the following:

Electrical Goods - From what I can gather electrical goods are pricey/a bit low quality over there and therefore best to ship stuff over. Does this include smaller stuff like kettle/toaster/hairdryer etc? Is it best to just get plug adapters for everything or to get the plugs switched over once arrived? Also what kind of sockets are over there, are they the 2 prong rounded pins?

Kitchen Stuff - Should I pack stuff like plates & cutlery? I'm thinking just best to replace on that side as they are likely to get damaged on the way over. What about stuff like pots and pans, are they pricey over there or sort of on par with the UK?

Linen - Bedding, duvets & towels etc - bring or replace? Are they expensive over there?

Clothes - People have said that clothes shopping there is not the same as over here, much less choice etc - and have heard of lots ordering on line from places like Tesco and getting it shipped over. Was thinking it might be a good idea to stock up on some stuff for the kids to grow into and ship over with our stuff? What kind of stuff would you advise?

Any further advice on what to bring and what not?

Just trying to get my head around the whole packing scenario! With two 4yr olds and another arriving in a few weeks I'm trying to get organised as early as possible - all advice much appreciated!
thanks
Bring EVERYTHING!!! Voltage is same so it will all work. And it will be cheaper in the long run