Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice & guidance !

Advice & guidance !

Old Apr 1st 2018, 7:39 am
Just Joined

JEM999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice & guidance !

Sorry I think we’re on different subjects. Leaving a child and not being there when they graduate? Who said that would be the case? People’s circumstances are totally different which you are giving no consideration to!
I’m just at a loss as to why people are so negative and judgemental on here. Many people still live there/ emigrate so i find it hard that’s its all negative.
Anyways onwards and upwards!
Old Apr 1st 2018, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JEM999
Sorry I think we’re on different subjects. Leaving a child and not being there when they graduate? Who said that would be the case? People’s circumstances are totally different which you are giving no consideration to!
I’m just at a loss as to why people are so negative and judgemental on here. Many people still live there/ emigrate so i find it hard that’s its all negative.
Anyways onwards and upwards!
My apologies for giving a different opinion. You have researched. Good luck with it all
Old Apr 1st 2018, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your plans

See you again when the homesickness kicks in and you're missing your kids.

Happy Days
Old Apr 1st 2018, 11:19 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

unfortunately a lot of people put their all in and then just don't have the money to move again.

From my own experience the best advice I could give you is, lower your expectations.

Your family moved over a long time ago so would of had different experiences to deal with, even those that are moving out now will have different experiences to those that moved out just 5 years ago.

New Zealand has finally woken up to the fact that people have been moving over to live and playing catch up with housing, infrastructure, health & Safety etc and this comes at a cost to everyone, being a country that is so far away from other countries the cost of stuff can be high and choice is restricted.

One thing you have going for you is you have family here to show you the ropes.

Its a beautiful country with the diverse weather systems, earthquakes, volcanic activities still altering the land. The night skies are amazing and its one thing I would love to show my mum.

When it comes to the end of the day you will still have all the same day to day things to deal with as you would where ever you are just a different way of dealing with things.
If you are the sort of person that can go with the flow, have a "she'll be right" attitude and not a policy and procedures type of person you may well thrive.

I have seen it does depend on where/what you come from and where/what you end up with

Last edited by MrsFychan; Apr 1st 2018 at 11:22 am.
Old Apr 1st 2018, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Are you really sure the problem is that you stumbled into a nasty negative forum?
Old Apr 1st 2018, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Put me down as one of the negatives as well. This “work/life balance “ phrase, seems to have become fashionable these days, with Brits who are planning to move to NZ, Aus, Spain etc. Forget your dream in this respect, as we all have to work and commute no matter where we live. The outdoor life can also be enjoyed in the UK.
My biggest negative thought in your case, is the ages of your children, and your thinking they have a more promising opportunties in NZ. Children, particularly teenagers can and very often do, have major phsychological problems moving to other countries. As others have said, have you really thought about what it would be like for your older child and yourself to not see each other for what may be a long period? Over my lifetime, I’ve seen the effect of this many times, and more often than not, it ends up with the family not being able to afford to return to the UK, and the child refuses to leave the UK. Good luck, you’ll need all you can get !