British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Advice & guidance ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/advice-guidance-911123/)

JEM999 Mar 30th 2018 11:17 pm

Advice & guidance !

Hi,
My husband and I have always wanted to move to NZ and intended on doing this once we had done our studying. However like most, life got in the way and we haven’t took the plunge!
My husband and I still love the thought of moving to NZ however we have little idea where to start. We have 3 children 15,11,7 and would be looking to move across in the next 18 month-2 Years.
I am a qualified BA HONS social worker, I am also a teacher with a PGCE post 14 qual. My husband is a time served plumber and gas fitter with over 12 year exp . I have checked the skilled workers and we are both under this category. My husband is on the Canterbury shortage although my quals are not. We are both 31 years old. I score 160 in points and I’m unsure of husbands.
I have some family in NZ who have stated the could offer sponsor if we were serious about going, although again I’m unsure what this entails.
We have done some research in respect of where we would like to live although we understand this would reflect any job opportunities.
Could anyone provide advice on A) likeliness of securing employment in our fields & which location the jobs may be in demand B) Should we apply for jobs prior to going to NZ C) What does sponsorship entail D) Are job offers likely to be contract or perm as I’m aware this can impact on visas etc.

If anyone has been in our position or currently is it would be great to hear from you!

Many thanks I’m advance :)

Justcol Mar 30th 2018 11:55 pm

Re: Advice & guidance !

Only one applicant (the main applicant) needs to make enough points
The rest tag onto that application.
How do your kids feel. I brought a 13 and 17 yr old.
Both returned to the UK once they could.it can be tough on kids

JEM999 Mar 30th 2018 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12473382)
Only one applicant (the main applicant) needs to make enough points
The rest tag onto that application.
How do your kids feel. I brought a 17 yr old and he hated it.
He went home 18 months later

Hi thanks for quick reply! Our Oldest will make his mind up as we go as he may want to study here or come. It’ll be a decision for him to make nearer the time, two younger ones like the idea although again we would have to see how that fitted in two years or so. What we have heard and read is that it’s a better lifestyle for kids growing up and opportunities for them. There’s little in terms of opportunities and jobs where we are and it’s likely that it will get better x

MrsFychan Mar 31st 2018 3:32 am

both comments about lifestyle for kids and better opportunities are a red flag to me.
Personally my kids have less opportunities here than they had where we lived in the UK. I also worry about eldest career opportunities as have seen quite a few expat kids moving countries to get jobs worth taking.
It does all depend on what you are coming from and what to.

If I had our time again I would look first at moving within the UK.

Also I have no idea how your family here could sponsor you, family criteria has changed drastically over the last couple of years so I would check the Immigration website on any possibility.

Canterbury skill shortage visa is a temp visa.
If you already have 160 points you can apply for a visa, just make sure that what you are claiming is correct or they will throw it back

Justcol Mar 31st 2018 3:40 am

I have a son in the UK with a masters degree and no jobs for him
I see at least half a dozen a month here in nz that he could walk into.
Everyone I know with young adult kids, their kids are all happy and in good jobs.
Some are in media and IT which I think the snobs on here would call a career
and others are tradies, but all are happy, which is what's really important

JEM999 Mar 31st 2018 8:52 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12473419)
both comments about lifestyle for kids and better opportunities are a red flag to me.
Personally my kids have less opportunities here than they had where we lived in the UK. I also worry about eldest career opportunities as have seen quite a few expat kids moving countries to get jobs worth taking.
It does all depend on what you are coming from and what to.

If I had our time again I would look first at moving within the UK.

Also I have no idea how your family here could sponsor you, family criteria has changed drastically over the last couple of years so I would check the Immigration website on any possibility.

Canterbury skill shortage visa is a temp visa.
If you already have 160 points you can apply for a visa, just make sure that what you are claiming is correct or they will throw it back

Thanks for your feedback it’s appreciated x

JEM999 Mar 31st 2018 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12473420)
I have a son in the UK with a masters degree and no jobs for him
I see at least half a dozen a month here in nz that he could walk into.
Everyone I know with young adult kids, their kids are all happy and in good jobs.
Some are in media and IT which I think the snobs on here would call a career
and others are tradies, but all are happy, which is what's really important

Thanks for your feedback. That’s the things ive come across in respect of opportunities. Lots to think about and consider but I think we might get a better balance of work life in NZ as in the UK it’s chaotic and not slowing down! x

Spacecake799 Mar 31st 2018 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by JEM999 (Post 12473474)
Thanks for your feedback it’s appreciated x

I just wanted to add my bit in about your children as someone who brought 3 children out at 13, 13 & 7, I think for your older two it really is not a great age for you to bring them.
Are you happy to leave 1 or 2 of them? It doesn't bother you that you wont see them often?
At that age also I know it was only a short time my older 2 were interested in going to the beach etc. We weren't outdoorsy people and nothing was going to change that.
Making the move is difficult for anyone. This is your dream not theirs and it will be difficult.
Good luck

JEM999 Mar 31st 2018 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 (Post 12473661)
I just wanted to add my bit in about your children as someone who brought 3 children out at 13, 13 & 7, I think for your older two it really is not a great age for you to bring them.
Are you happy to leave 1 or 2 of them? It doesn't bother you that you wont see them often?
At that age also I know it was only a short time my older 2 were interested in going to the beach etc. We weren't outdoorsy people and nothing was going to change that.
Making the move is difficult for anyone. This is your dream not theirs and it will be difficult.
Good luck

Thanks, it’s always been on the cards, we have some family over there with cousins the same age as my children who they are familiar with so hopefully that will help with intergeation, schools etc.
The oldest will be 18 when we intend to move so he would make a decision based on where he is with study etc. The younger two will come with us of course.
We are very outdoorsy so again hopefully that will support & we currently live in the coast at home.
Lots of research and planning to do so we can fully weigh up pros and cons x

carcajou Apr 1st 2018 12:47 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12473419)

Yep. Throw in "work-life balance" too.

Kiwis do not work any less than Brits and I have no idea why this idea has taken hold in the UK. Especially if OP is a teacher she will be doing the same 50-60 hour weeks.

"Lifestyle" moves can work out if the migrant has specific ideas behind what they want - ie someone with strong drive and interest in working in/engaging in things like viticulture, extreme mountain sports or certain specific environment/conservation fields etc moves to NZ.

But more often on these boards, "lifestyle" means "work less" and "have more time with the kids" which NZ will not deliver unless you downshift to part-time. Which can also be done in the UK.

It also seems crazy to want to move to NZ to give your 11 year old more professional opportunities as an adult. Uni students on average change their major twice; the average 11 year old will change what they want to do a dozen times and you have no idea if NZ is better suited or not. More to the point the UK option is not static and permanent; they can "go back" if they don't like NZ but will not "slot back in" to the UK like they never left (and neither will you). Social relationships and friendships break down (especially for teenagers), professional pathways and expectations diverge, aunts/uncles/cousins/grandparents move on without you. Kids can come back very much a foreigner in their own country with all the challenges and isolation that this brings.

Go for the move if you want - but I would advise you to have much more specific and realistic goals about what you would want to achieve with it, and then re-evaluate according to those specific goals.

Justcol Apr 1st 2018 2:28 am

Remember, if your eldest stays and studies in the UK, they will not be eligable to join you once uni has finished as they will not be classed as dependant.

I love nz, I arrived as 1 of a family of 4 and I am the only one left here but I would never have even considered coming if either of mine had refuse to come. Do not under estimate how difficult settling in is. When homesickness kicks in, which it will, the guilt of leaving a child back home and the feeling of helplessness if anything goes wrong for them can be emotionally crushing.

JEM999 Apr 1st 2018 8:38 am

Of course we have specific and realistic goals this post was to get some balanced feedback, to be honest it has all been been very negative, with little positive input.
Naturally we are not going to move kids across the world without thinking it through thororoughly taking into consideration the emotional impact / change etc.
Both our jobs are heavy jobs and we are used to working this, so not afraid of hard work wherever that may be.
Again, we will continue to do our research to see if this move would be in the best interests moving forward.

MrsFychan Apr 1st 2018 11:36 am

Originally Posted by JEM999 (Post 12473835)
Of course we have specific and realistic goals this post was to get some balanced feedback, to be honest it has all been been very negative, with little positive input.

You are getting personal comments from those that are living it, the fact that they are not rosy rosy cannot be helped. I'm sure you would rather have real comments than everyone saying its the best thing since sliced bread.
The thing with research is that it can pop up stuff that may not be exactly what you want to hear, it is what it is

JEM999 Apr 1st 2018 3:20 pm

I’m more than happy to hear peoples lived experiences I was just hoping to hear some positives too. I was told in advance the forums aren’t usually the best due to people
being generally negative but I was hopeful anyways. My family out there have been there for over 20 years and are very settled with no intentions to return to the UK other than visiting.I’m looking forward to visit next summer as planned to get a better feel moving forward.

Spacecake799 Apr 1st 2018 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by JEM999 (Post 12473992)
I’m more than happy to hear peoples lived experiences I was just hoping to hear some positives too. I was told in advance the forums aren’t usually the best due to people
being generally negative but I was hopeful anyways. My family out there have been there for over 20 years and are very settled with no intentions to return to the UK other than visiting.I’m looking forward to visit next summer as planned to get a better feel moving forward.

A holiday is just that, a holiday. Nothing like living there.
Your relatives will have had the same advantage as many brits that bought a property 20 years ago...Plenty of money made. That is not the case now and property is a ridiculous price.
Did your relatives take children out there the age of yours?
Ours were all happy to go. We had researched, talked to people and looked on forums when we took the plunge.
How can you prepare for how it feels to leave a child? To only speak to them on skype? To not be there when they graduate?
At the end of the day try it....it might be the best thing you have done....