Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

which accommodation when we arrive in Auckland???

which accommodation when we arrive in Auckland???

Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold
Smile which accommodation when we arrive in Auckland???

Hello to everyone,

I would appreciate some words of advice and wisdom from any forum members please.

My family, (husband, son 22 and daughter 9 ) and I are finally making the move to NZ after 5 years of applying gaining PR and having had to apply again as we never sold our house back then.

But enough of that we have been given resident visa's once again and are aiming for the end of April this year.

What I really need advice on is what do you think would be the best kind of accommodation when we arrive. We are going the North Shore to rent a house eventually but I want to look for a rental accommodation when I arrive as I need to look at the schools with my daughter and am aware that some schools ar e zoned so want to be sure that she and we are happy with the school.

Is it best to look at motels intially for about 4-6 weeks, or is book a bach holiday a better option? Or does anyone have any other suggestions or experiences where they stayed when they made the move.

Also how much do you think we should be paying for motels or holiday home?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Mandy and Tony
Old Jan 17th 2013, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which accommodation when we arrive in Auckland???

Hi there,
we booked a short term fully furnished rental for a month. Have a look on book a batch or trade me. If you already know what area you want to rent long term then maybe a good idea to get a sshort term in that area. Gives you time to check out the schools and see if you want to commit to that area.
I think we paid $500 per week, but that is on tha kapiti coast and in winter.
Good luck
Kaz
Old Jan 17th 2013, 2:04 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

www.holidayhouses.co.nz

http://www.holidayhouses.co.nz/properties/12837.asp

This is the website that we used to book accommodation when we stayed in Browns Bay, Auckland in February 2011. That's the north shore. We didn't have kids so we only needed a small place. Have a look at the current prices as we paid $350 for one week for a one bed 'granny flat' of a larger house that's the second link. The south Africans that owned it were very nice hosts. Self catering in a short term let will probably be more comfortable than staying in a motel.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jan 17th 2013 at 2:12 am. Reason: wrong web link
Old Jan 19th 2013, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

bigjohnny7 is just really nicebigjohnny7 is just really nicebigjohnny7 is just really nicebigjohnny7 is just really nicebigjohnny7 is just really nicebigjohnny7 is just really nicebigjohnny7 is just really nicebigjohnny7 is just really nice

When my parents come over from the UK, they stay at this place - http://www.cocklebayheights.co.nz/.

It's a great place and for the price it's pretty good.

It's not exactly central - it's East Auckland, so it's about 40 minutes outside of the CBD, but it's a nice halfway point between the luxury of a hotel and the independence of self-catering accomodation.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PHONEJUNKY
Hello to everyone,

I would appreciate some words of advice and wisdom from any forum members please.

My family, (husband, son 22 and daughter 9 ) and I are finally making the move to NZ after 5 years of applying gaining PR and having had to apply again as we never sold our house back then.

But enough of that we have been given resident visa's once again and are aiming for the end of April this year.

What I really need advice on is what do you think would be the best kind of accommodation when we arrive. We are going the North Shore to rent a house eventually but I want to look for a rental accommodation when I arrive as I need to look at the schools with my daughter and am aware that some schools ar e zoned so want to be sure that she and we are happy with the school.

Is it best to look at motels intially for about 4-6 weeks, or is book a bach holiday a better option? Or does anyone have any other suggestions or experiences where they stayed when they made the move.

Also how much do you think we should be paying for motels or holiday home?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Mandy and Tony
We paid a small fortune because of the chuffing Rugby World Cup - money grabbing wotsits.

Anyway, the place was alright and normally charges ok from what I understand:
Sea Vista Apartments, Torbay