Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

ACC - how does it work?

ACC - how does it work?

Old Nov 9th 2014, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice
Default ACC - how does it work?

Okay, managed to injure my back on the mountain bike and went around to the Dr. He billed me 45 bucks and described it as a ACC consultation.

Question is - am I able to claim this money back through ACC or is that already factored in? I had a look at the ACC website and it's as clear as mud.... I also have a small prescription charge and he referred me to a physio, but the ACC was already factored in for the physio so that is fine.

Cheers

D
Old Nov 9th 2014, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: ACC - how does it work?

Think you'll find that that charge is a lower ACC rate, ACC will contribute to fees depending on the injury and how it was done. Hubby fractured a vertebrae playing football, his chiropractor sessions were 1/2 the price of normal charges, ACC paid the rest, but I may be wrong lol
Old Nov 9th 2014, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

mmm, so I don't need to claim anything? the deduction is already made?
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

The last time I had an injury, my GP notified ACC who then wrote to me with a claim reference. When I made a physio appt, I quoted the ACC ref and was charged a reduced price for my appointments. The Physiotherapist has to fill in another claim form if they feel you require extended treatment sessions.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desmondo84
Question is - am I able to claim this money back through ACC or is that already factored in?
Nothing to claim, it is already factored in and you will have been charged a 'reduced' rate by your GP for your visit. The reduction is all of about $5 of $6 - whoopee doo!!
Old Nov 9th 2014, 3:00 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you should get a letter in the post with a claim number, you will need to have this for any related care for the injury to get the discount.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 4:06 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

My friend broke her arm tripping over at the weekend. He drs fee was covered. No charge. I think every where's different and each case is dealt with differently.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

Cheers guys. I have southern cross private ins through work. I wonder if they can pick up the rest?
Old Nov 9th 2014, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

I had a back injury, took me twelve weeks of interrogation and an MRI for ACC to pay up anything other than free physio which my Dr told me not to have before I had had an MRI as who knew what was going on inside my body.
It was a very confusing system, I thought it was an accident insurance that kicked in as soon as you were injured but 'They' needed physical evidence. They needed to see my spine was fooooked or else I got nothing.
It is easier if you have a broken bone than any other injury ... if you break a bone then it's sweet, they have black and white evidence and you are covered.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 7:44 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by desmondo84
Okay, managed to injure my back on the mountain bike and went around to the Dr. He billed me 45 bucks and described it as a ACC consultation.

Question is - am I able to claim this money back through ACC or is that already factored in? I had a look at the ACC website and it's as clear as mud.... I also have a small prescription charge and he referred me to a physio, but the ACC was already factored in for the physio so that is fine.

Cheers

D
No. There is nothing for you to claim. It is already factored in. The usual reduction for a GP consultation is around $5/$10 off the usual rate. To find out the exact discount applied simply go to your GP surgery and look at their board of charges. That will tell you. They need to be ACC accredited.

As it is ACC , your physio will be at a reduced rate depending on what your physio usually charges.

Any xrays will also be charged at a reduced rate.....so on and so forth.

$45 seems high for a consultation which includes an ACC discount. You may want to shop around.

Be careful with ACC. This needs to remain an ongoing injury and the effect from injury. Keep that ACC number close to your heart.

If in the future you have problems with your back, it could be considered wear and teat, then you will simply be on the wait lists and pay fully for any treatment.

The system is not a good one really. It is open to abuse and because of funding ACC and the health service tend to pass from pillar to post if they can.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
$45 seems high for a consultation which includes an ACC discount. You may want to shop around.
That'll be the Auckland factor usual price for me is $50 and $44 if an ACC visit.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Our medical centre charges the same for an ordinary visit and an ACC one . Frankly, I'm yet to understand the health system here after 8 years and having worked as a midwife in it for a while.