Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

advice from those who are in the know..... Please

advice from those who are in the know..... Please

Old Nov 4th 2014, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

mimuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile advice from those who are in the know..... Please

Planning a move to nz next yr..... wanted advice on areas to live ( for young outdoorsy people)
And........ also what medicals you need for which visas?
Thanks
Old Nov 5th 2014, 12:15 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice from those who are in the know..... Please

first of all what visa's are you looking to come over on?

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/
Old Nov 5th 2014, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

And what jobs will you be doing?
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:34 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Hello mimuk, and welcome to BE

You are in luck; we have plenty of outdoors

You might need to be a bit more specific about what you're hoping for from New Zealand for more sensible answer - ditto visas; bet we can help but there's so many different visas!
Old Nov 5th 2014, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies and welcome
Ok.... a few more details, we are nurses. We were thinking of coming on a 3 year visa but we don't mind? I'm confused by all the visas? And from what i have been told you need different medicals for different visas?
As for location we are thinking of the south island? Likes are cycling, walking, water sports, skiing, pretty much anything outdoors?
There is an abundance of outdoors in nz so its hard to decide? Otago region looked good?
Mim
Old Nov 5th 2014, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Not Auckland, its a hideous place and should be avoided at all costs.

My opinion, for which I often get slated for by some on here is that you dont travel half way around the world to
become a slave to a mortgage you cant afford, in a house that will cost you a fraction of the price anywhere else
in New Zealand, all in the hope you will gain a little post code envy from others.
If you are going to move to change your life for the better, then actually change your life and start living it.

South Island is probably your best bet for the access to the great outdoors although I'm ashamed to say during
my 6 yrs here I haven't been there yet.
Access to a lot of areas on the north island is restricted as its mostly privately owned and there is no right to
roam and very few public footpaths.

Last edited by Justcol; Nov 5th 2014 at 8:19 am.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

As nurses, NZ is your oyster really. You could go pretty much anywhere.

The South Island is stunning. Some areas are very remote, you could be several hours drive from a city. I don't know anything about visas I'm afraid.

Auckland has plenty of access to outdoor stuff but property is very expensive.

You have so much choice, I'm not sure what to recommend?
Old Nov 5th 2014, 8:06 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

It is job offer first and then apply for visas. The length of the visa will depend on the length of the job offer contract.

I'd suggest contacting a few NZ DHB to see what vacancies are available. I believe there are a few health professional agencies also.

You will also need to be NZ registered to work as nurses here. NZ nursing Council so that is the first thing to sort out.

1 NZ nurse registration
2 NZ job offer
3 Visas
4 Arrive.

Actually, you have not said what ages you are. If you are under 30 , then you could come for a while on a working holiday visa. You could not work as nurses of course but you could take up some sort of part time work to help with funds.

Also. Are you a couple? Or a pair of friends.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 9:05 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

as BEVS has pointed out you would need to see if you can get offer of work. lots of nursing position have been removed from the skills list and the qualification for that left on seems to be higher than it used to be, I believe you also have to have 3 years post qualification experience.

check out the skills list http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/ but also as BEVS says contact the NZ Nursing council

Last edited by MrsFychan; Nov 5th 2014 at 9:15 am.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mimuk View Post
Likes are cycling, walking, water sports, skiing, pretty much anything outdoors?
There is an abundance of outdoors in nz so its hard to decide? Otago region looked good?
Mim
If not living by the sea doesn't bother you it sounds like Central Otago/The Lakes would suit you perfectly. It really is special up there, it's the only place I'd consider moving to if we had to live somewhere else in NZ. This year was my first ever go at snowboarding and we based ourselves in Wanaka, it was amazing, we did Treble Cone and Cardrona ski fields. There's plenty of water sports up there with all the lakes and rivers, there's all sorts of bike trails including the very popular 'rail trail'. Queenstown is boom town at the minute so there's plenty of work up that way too. And it's got to be one of the most beautiful places on earth, it's breathtaking.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Another one for the south island

Go to the following district boards - Canterbury and Otago. These are the two main nursing boards in the SI

You could potentially also look at homes as well. Registered Nurses are high in demand at care homes if you would be happy in that line of work. I presume you would get in under the SM visa but failing that, check whether companies like Bupa, Southern Cross, Pegasus health etc are on the accredited employer list. If so, you can always apply through them and go via the accredited employer WTR route.

There's some stunning places up on the North Island and Wellington is a cool little capital. But for things like walks. But if you are able to live and work in places such as Wanaka, Twizel, Queenstown etc - go for it. Queenstown is arguably the most beautiful place in New Zealand. I love that place so much I take the family there for a weeks holiday every year. The 5 hour drive from Pegasus is amazing.

Or failing that Nelson and the Marlborough Sounds. Another amazingly beautiful place and you'd have the Abel Tasman national park or the sounds a drive away. There or Queenstown - what a hard choice for a break away
Old Nov 5th 2014, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

jen_jen is an unknown quantity at this point

It does indeed sound like you are describing Queenstown. We have been here two years (almost). It is full of activity and some of it doesn't even cost a fortune!

Cycle trails for mountain biking, there is even a gondola to take you up the hill so you can plummet down without strain, and flatter trails, you can get around the immediate area very well off road on trails. Have a look at the Queenstown Trail.

Skiing - Remarkables 40 mins from town and Coronet Peak 20 mins. Cadrona and Treble Cone are nearer to Wanaka but still do-able in a day. Season provisionally starts end June and finishes early Oct.

Lake - not much sailing or private boats but lots of SUP and kayak. It doesn't seem to be organised, but people do go out. The lake is huge and remains around 10C all year.

Walking - a range of long treks with hut stays and smaller day walks are all nearby. Look at the DOC's site.

There is a hospital and medical centre in Queenstown.

Its a British feeling town and there are loads of Brits living here, many of them are young and working/travelling and many stay longer. Yes its a renown party town, but if you're not into that you can avoid it easily.

There are downsides as with every move and most of them are well reflected on these boards. Specifically to Queenstown, the housing is poor and expensive and its cold cold cold in the winter!!
Old Nov 6th 2014, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Northern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Justcol View Post
Not Auckland, its a hideous place and should be avoided at all costs.

My opinion, for which I often get slated for by some on here is that you dont travel half way around the world to
become a slave to a mortgage you cant afford, in a house that will cost you a fraction of the price anywhere else
in New Zealand, all in the hope you will gain a little post code envy from others.
If you are going to move to change your life for the better, then actually change your life and start living it.
Access to a lot of areas on the north island is restricted as its mostly privately owned and there is no right to
roam and very few public footpaths.
Why!

They are looking at coming on a short term Visa, do some nursing and get out and do stuff and indicated they fancy the South Island...

Do you even read these posts or does your keyboard default to Auckland/Mortgages/House prices etc.

Auckland Airport do allow return fares to UK you know..

Old Nov 6th 2014, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies and advice all..... the south island is definitely the right choice and queenstown is sounding very promising
Will.look into visas with your advice too.
Is it correct that cost of.living is fairly similar to uk?
Thanks mim
Old Nov 6th 2014, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mimuk View Post
Thanks for your replies and advice all..... the south island is definitely the right choice and queenstown is sounding very promising
Will.look into visas with your advice too.
Is it correct that cost of.living is fairly similar to uk?
Thanks mim
Others will disagree but i'd say it's more expensive to live here than it is in the UK, unless you lived in London

Then i'd say it's around the same sort of price bar the housing market but I don't think you'll be experiencing that unless you come here permanently

If you're coming on a short stay only (2 year holiday visa) - then you wouldn't face the expensive day to day costs that occur in this country. The only real noticeable difference is food bills. In Queenstown - you will face a difficult scenario there as from the top of my head, there's only 4 food shops and one of them in particular (next to the beer shop by the roundabout) is costly. The Fresh Choice and New World supermarket prices are slightly more expensive than others mainly due to Queenstown being a more touristy destination.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.