Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

About NZ houses & possibly building.

About NZ houses & possibly building.

Old May 21st 2009, 10:25 am
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light
Default About NZ houses & possibly building.

Originally Posted by love30stm
Well I made this today of where I live on a cold day and it cheered me up, and appreciate New Zealand

I have just watched your video and can I just say how impressed I was with your house and the surrounding area. It looks lovely and clean and tidy - does anyone live there?!! Almost a show home! A real credit to you. Can I just ask - it all looks so lovely but do you have any issues with it, like so many do in NZ with the houses? Well done you, is it all yours or a rental?

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing it with us.

LB

Last edited by BEVS; May 22nd 2009 at 2:13 am. Reason: Put the post in context.
Old May 21st 2009, 10:36 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A new pic thread to cheer us up when its raining

Originally Posted by Lizaberry
I have just watched your video and can I just say how impressed I was with your house and the surrounding area. It looks lovely and clean and tidy - does anyone live there?!! Almost a show home! A real credit to you. Can I just ask - it all looks so lovely but do you have any issues with it, like so many do in NZ with the houses? Well done you, is it all yours or a rental?

LB
Lol.. its not always that tidy and no we don't have any problems with the house it has lots of windows to get the sun, we have a rinnani energy save heater that heats the whole house, as its open plan, the bedrooms get a bit cold, but the house was built in the 70s and was completely renovated, so don't believe all you read about NZ houses.

all I can say im glad i didn't buy a Victorian wooden Villa, beautiful houses, but so bloody cold... and hard to obtain and heat.
Old May 21st 2009, 10:38 am

LB
and ha ha its not a rental its ours (does it look like a rental I dont think so)
Old May 21st 2009, 10:41 am
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light

No, I wouldn't know what a rental would look like anyway, but was just curious whether you had taken to plunge to buy when I hear that many are reluctant to, that's all. Didn't mean to offend, sorry.

Last edited by Lizaberry; May 21st 2009 at 10:45 am. Reason: spelling
Old May 21st 2009, 10:46 am

No, I wouldn't know what a rental would l look like anyway, but was just curious whether you had taken to plunge to buy when I hear that many are reluctant to, that's all. Didn't mean to offend, sorry.
ha ha no of course you didnt offend me..i was joking, are you in new zealand? and I can tell you, some of the houses for sale are alot to be desired and we saw alot
Old May 21st 2009, 10:52 am
Newbie to NZ

No not yet. We are not planning to be there until next June/July 2010. Need job offer before we can do EOI unfortunately - you read a post of mine yesterday as it happens - the one about houses & weather (before changing your mind about your post and removing it! - LOL). Ideally OH wants to build a house so initially we may rent, though I would rather buy. Am taking on board what people are saying which is all good advice if not a little extreme at times! I get the just of it anyhow so will have a better idea when the time comes.

Thanks for asking, LB
Old May 21st 2009, 10:54 am

No not yet. We are not planning to be there until next June/July 2010. Need job offer before we can do EOI unfortunately - you read a post of mine yesterday as it happens - the one about houses & weather (before changing your mind about your post and removing it! - LOL). Ideally OH wants to build a house so initially we may rent, though I would rather buy. Am taking on board what people are saying which is all good advice if not a little extreme at times! I get the just of it anyhow so will have a better idea when the time comes.

Thanks for asking, LB
ha ha thats ok, take the negative with a pinch of salt there are some lovely houses here.depends on how much you have to spend mind you...
Old May 21st 2009, 10:59 am
Newbie to NZ

Hoping to have about £200k so about $500k, but would prefer not to spend all of it on a house. Say about $400k on the property. Would want 5/6 bedrooms ideally as have 4 children - 2 older boys and an older/younger girl. Have checked some of the real estate sites and it could be attainable. As I said, OH would like to build his own but need to do a bit more research.
Old May 21st 2009, 11:02 am

Hoping to have about £200k so about $500k, but would prefer not to spend all of it on a house. Say about $400k on the property. Would want 5/6 bedrooms ideally as have 4 children - 2 older boys and an older/younger girl. Have checked some of the real estate sites and it could be attainable. As I said, OH would like to build his own but need to do a bit more research.
ahh you will find a lovley place for that money our house coast us $350 and it depends where in new zealand, but house prices have dropped a bit.

4 kids wow, bad enough with two how old are yours?

where abouts in new zeland are you heading? lol im on the computer late husband and kids in bed
Old May 21st 2009, 11:12 am
Newbie to NZ

My children - boy nearly 15, boy 13.5, girl 11 and girl 2 - big gap between 3 and 4 because I had surgery in 2000 and it took me a while before contemplating any more - wasn't sure I even wanted another but in 2005/6 realised I had an 'itch I needed to scratch'!! Anyway, leaving it until next year allows my eldest to finish his schooling cos he is at a special needs school - he has Asperger's Syndrome (mild autism). Nothing physically disabling as such but mentally he is very young minded, has literal understanding, needs watching after, etc. He is very good at making things and loves boats and cars. My OH is a wooden boat builder so work could take us north or south. Not really sure where we are going just yet or where we want to go. Just considering all the options right now.

Thanks,LB
Old May 21st 2009, 11:20 am

My children - boy nearly 15, boy 13.5, girl 11 and girl 2 - big gap between 3 and 4 because I had surgery in 2000 and it took me a while before contemplating any more - wasn't sure I even wanted another but in 2005/6 realised I had an 'itch I needed to scratch'!! Anyway, leaving it until next year allows my eldest to finish his schooling cos he is at a special needs school - he has Asperger's Syndrome (mild autism). Nothing physically disabling as such but mentally he is very young minded, has literal understanding, needs watching after, etc. He is very good at making things and loves boats and cars. My OH is a wooden boat builder so work could take us north or south. Not really sure where we are going just yet or where we want to go. Just considering all the options right now.

Thanks,LB
my daughter whos 15 hates it in new zealand, shes the one who makes it difficult for us! but maybe its teenagers,anyway im going back to england for two weeks on 12th june for a holiday. just me and her, my husband and youngest daughter is staying here.

anyway good luck im off to bed pm me..take care

Bev x
Old May 21st 2009, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

linzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nice
Smile Re: A new pic thread to cheer us up when its raining

Thanks,LB
I have really enjoyed reading your chat! My OH has a job offer but we are STILL WAITING to sell our house over here. (Been for sale since June 2008) The only thing keeping me going is reading the messages on this site. The pictures were FAB and I can't wait to go. I have 3 kids aged 13, 11 and 8 and have similar questions to you. Keep in touch.

Lindsey
Old May 21st 2009, 6:28 pm
Newbie to NZ

Hi Lindsey,

Just wanted to welcome you aboard. So where are you hoping to move to? You say your OH has a job offer and your house has been up for sale since June last year. How long ago did you get the job offer and has your employer been understanding? I have started a thread for those of us that are just starting out or for one reason or another are delayed with the process. My eldest will be going into Y11 in September and we have decided to leave things for another 6/8 months so that it is more realistic to be applying for jobs for June/July 2010 arrival and it allows him to finish his schooling as well. In the meantime, we just sitting it out! Best of luck! LB