Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

8 deaths on the road in 24hrs!!

Wikiposts

8 deaths on the road in 24hrs!!

Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8 deaths on the road in 24hrs!!

Im all for any rules if they are trying to improve society.

I mean cars are potentially (very) lethal and some people are treating them as mobile offices.

As for no insurance and no effective noise regs in NZ or lack of effective punishment, dont even get me started.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 10:18 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 8 deaths on the road in 24hrs!!

Originally Posted by Browner_
As for no insurance and no effective noise regs in NZ or lack of effective punishment, dont even get me started.
I'm more concearned about the lack of driver training and the ease with which you can get a licence . Sometimes driving here can seem like betting it all on black in a game of roulette.

Saying speed is a major cause of accidents is like saying firearms are a major cause of shootings, it may be true but given that the idea of a car is to get you between two places much quicker than say...walking or a donkey could.

Yes we could limit cars to 5km/h and we'd have almost no road deaths but there would be no point in having cars really would there? The problem isn't that people are speeding, it's that they are driving too fast without sufficient awareness of their own ability or that of their vehicle.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I'

Yes we could limit cars to 5km/h and we'd have almost no road deaths but there would be no point in having cars really would there? The problem isn't that people are speeding, it's that they are driving too fast without sufficient awareness of their own ability or that of their vehicle.
In one bit you say speedings not the problem and in the other you say it is???

No one is suggesting we drive at 5 klm per hour. Its the twats who whang along at 120plus overtaking tail gating and using mobiles while in said warp drive..not that its safe EVER to use a mobile phone when driving IMO. Research has shown that even hands free alters drivers' ability to be as attentive to driving in relation to those who chose to be totally mobile free when driving. Too many people are way too far up their own arses and think the world will stop spinning if they are unable to communicate 24/7. Personally I think its all very sad. Driving is a form of A to B. Phones are for talking to people .... IMO they should never ever meet when the car is in motion. Betcha there would be way less deaths on the road if that was the case. I just hope all those on the road who think its cool and 'necessary' use phones and drive keep away from me and my family.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 11:04 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 8 deaths on the road in 24hrs!!

So why do we have a relentless drive to reduce vehicle speeds rather than turn off your cellphone when driving, stop tailgating vehicles or making airbags a requirement on new/imported cars?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

So why do we have a relentless drive to reduce vehicle speeds rather than turn off your cellphone when driving, stop tailgating vehicles or making airbags a requirement on new/imported cars?
Because the laws an ass. But we all know that don't we??
Old Apr 27th 2009, 11:27 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Wink Re: 8 deaths on the road in 24hrs!!

Originally Posted by Genesis
Witnessing the many people I overtake driving, resolutely, at a constant 100km/h regardless of any other factors I'm not so sure .

It’s fascinating really that the same species that sent a man to the moon and discovered the origins of our universe contains such a wide variety of individuals with such varied intelligence and levels of conscious thought.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Charismatic;7520656]Witnessing the many people I overtake driving, resolutely, at a constant 100km/h regardless of any other factors I'm not so sure .

So you obviously by the comment above 'passing many motor cars doing 100ks' must wilfully and regularly exceed 100ks. What is so important in your life that you appear unable to follow a simple law of the NZ roads??
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by preludefan
this is what happens then you introduce cars with 5 star saftey ratings, active stability control, airbags and abs with automatic transmissions,
I don't know but I'm willing to bet that most of the cars causing each of the recent accidents would probably have been more of an old wreck than you are describing. Horrible photo in Dom Post today of a lorry at the bottom of a precipice in pieces on a road alongside Lake Taupo.
Give me safe cars anyday...since I could be the victim of a boy racer so I'll take the protection thanks.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Genesis;7520681]
Witnessing the many people I overtake driving, resolutely, at a constant 100km/h regardless of any other factors I'm not so sure .

So you obviously by the comment above 'passing many motor cars doing 100ks' must wilfully and regularly exceed 100ks. What is so important in your life that you appear unable to follow a simple law of the NZ roads??
Which on the windy twisty roads of North Island would be very dangerous indeed...I always avoid unnecessary overtaking (the most dangerous manoeuvre in driving) and just wait for the 'passing lanes' to get past slow vehicles in NZ. More crash barrier would be good in some places, though maybe it's deliberate policy to force you to slow down.

Anyone who thinks speed doesn't kill is missing the obvious ....the longer the stopping distance, the higher the impact, the greater the death toll. I found having kids made me respect speed limits far more willingly...unfortunately boy racers are still kids.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:25 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree. The main problem is people not following the law, or otherwise driving unsafely (which is breaking the law anyway).

OK - you or I could always recommend some minor improvements in the law, some of which we agree on, some not. but thats what law is, an evolving set of rules that reflects societies values.

Despite the abolsutely horrendous weekend just past, it is worth remembering that overall the road toll in NZ is trending downwards due probably to a combination of safer roads and cars, more policing of speed and alcohol, and increased provisional driver requirements. Still, we must do better!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 11:16 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty simple really.
Drive within the law ie adhere to speed limits ALWAYS.
Overtake safely, maybe wait for passing lanes or for someone to pull over.
Drive to the conditions.
Don't tailgate/intimidate.
Jobs a goodun less accidents....
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:38 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience many kiwi drivers as a rule are lazy (cutting corners, not stopping at red lights, going way over stop lines), impatient, inconsiderate of other road users, drive poorly maintained cars (I see so many cars with bald tyres).
Also the roads - some of them are wonderful driving roads and you can have a great time on them safely and within the limits.
But the state "highways" - what a mess! Potholes, dodgy cambers, invisible dips and bumps, the worst methods of road resurfacing I've seen (scrape 2km of road and let drivers bounce over it at 20kph!??!)

You have to drive defensively -
Expect them to be muppets
Expect them to do 80 until the passing lane then speed up to 110, then slow down again
Expect the SUVs to do 120+ all the time
Don't expect them to see you (I have a shiny red car with Xenon lights and people don't seem to see it)

The roads aren't going to improve significantly - there isn't the money to do it.

So the answer is, IMHO:
Better enforcement of vehicle safety checks.
Better driver training - force people to take professional lessons - but that would take a generation or two to take effect
Less emphasis on speeding, more on things like texting and bad driving in general (but that's so much harder to police of course)
Oh, and a change of attitude. Kiwis think they have a right to drive, and a right to break the laws as long as no-one is looking so they won't get caught.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 3:00 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

What is so important in your life that you appear unable to follow a simple law of the NZ roads??
That I'm not going to be around forever? I drive quite safely but not within the law (in fact, strictly speaking, you can't drive a car within the law).

Anyway the road north of Masterton is pretty good .
Old Apr 28th 2009, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

That I'm not going to be around forever? I drive quite safely but not within the law (in fact, strictly speaking, you can't drive a car within the law).

Anyway the road north of Masterton is pretty good .
If you kill someone with your excess speed how will you live with that..especially a child? Don't you think 100ks is sufficient on these retarded roads?? I can drive a car well within the law..its easy..occasionly I will go the odd k over the speed limit BUT its not intentional and I correct it immediately. And you are not driving safely if you drive over 100ks..don't care what you say..if you whack into me and my family at 100ks thats one thing..add another 20-30ks and as the ads. say 'the greater the mess'.....the faster you go the less time you have to correct your errors and others. Thus it follows the more shit you will leave in the wake of your excess speed.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 5:01 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

If you kill someone with your excess speed how will you live with that..especially a child? Don't you think 100ks is sufficient on these retarded roads?? I can drive a car well within the law..its easy..occasionly I will go the odd k over the speed limit BUT its not intentional and I correct it immediately. And you are not driving safely if you drive over 100ks..don't care what you say..if you whack into me and my family at 100ks thats one thing..add another 20-30ks and as the ads. say 'the greater the mess'.....the faster you go the less time you have to correct your errors and others. Thus it follows the more shit you will leave in the wake of your excess speed.
Well said

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.