1st day of winter

Old Jun 1st 2011, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default 1st day of winter

Yeah right. Elise wants her duvet off the bed and all my windows are open!

What has happened to winter?? My daffs are about to flower and I can walk about the house in a state of undress.

Global warming or just good old NZ weather?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of
Default Re: 1st day of winter

Originally Posted by Genesis

What has happened to winter?? My daffs are about to flower and I can walk about the house in a state of undress.

t'is a glorious day today isn't it Not exactly 'winter'.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by keeny
t'is a glorious day today isn't it Not exactly 'winter'.
Yeah, lovely here in the Waitaki Valley.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the first day of winter. Or of anything else.

All seasons all over the world start on the 21st of something, and end three months later on the 20th of something else. If you are in NZ, winter will start on 21 June.

(It's to do with solstices and equinoxes)
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean

All seasons all over the world start on the 21st of something, and end three months later on the 20th of something else. If you are in NZ, winter will start on 21 June.

That is what I heard last week but every one on the radio has been saying today that its the 1st day of winter and assumed I had heard it wrong last week. Just goes to show that probably every thing I hear on the radio is bollocks.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

That is what I heard last week but every one on the radio has been saying today that its the 1st day of winter and assumed I had heard it wrong last week. Just goes to show that probably every thing I hear on the radio is bollocks.
Did they also tell you that the All Blacks are going to win the RWC?

You're right...... total bollocks.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

faye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to all

Just looking at my calendar and it says first day of winter today!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Did they also tell you that the All Blacks are going to win the RWC?

You're right...... total bollocks.
And that NZ is the antidote to every thing bad, the land of milk and honey and that the streets are paved with gold.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on which calendar you follow, but 21st/22nd of June is the shortest day and is the Winter Solstice or 'Mid-winter'.

You could argue until the cows come home (it is Gypsy day after all) but regardless of what any ancient or pagan calendar might say; it is 'officially' the first day of winter here in NZ and Australia today and is marked on local calendars as such.

Winter 1st June
Spring 1st September
Summer 1st December
Autumn 1st March
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Depends on which calendar you follow, but 21st/22nd of June is the shortest day and is the Winter Solstice or 'Mid-winter'.

You could argue until the cows come home (it is Gypsy day after all) but regardless of what any ancient or pagan calendar might say; it is 'officially' the first day of winter here in NZ and Australia today and is marked on local calendars as such.

Winter 1st June
Spring 1st September
Summer 1st December
Autumn 1st March
And 21 June is known as "Midsummer Day" in the Northern Hemisphere.......

....... but only by druids............

If today is NZ's 'Midwinter Day', doesn't that mean winter started on or about 16 April?

I need a lie down.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

TMI Genesis

Beautiful here too.

The Dean, you & I know that the seasons change on the equinoxes but things are a little bit different down-under. One learns to go with the flow . Enjoy your lie down.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 12:22 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

It's been getting a bit frosty here in the mornings but we still haven't had the heating on yet
However the fluffy cheap mink very warming Briscoes blankets have been out for a while...