British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   1st day of winter (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/1st-day-winter-719137/)

Genesis Jun 1st 2011 1:30 am

1st day of winter

Yeah right. Elise wants her duvet off the bed and all my windows are open!

What has happened to winter?? My daffs are about to flower and I can walk about the house in a state of undress.

Global warming or just good old NZ weather?

keeny Jun 1st 2011 2:00 am

Re: 1st day of winter

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9401318)

What has happened to winter?? My daffs are about to flower and I can walk about the house in a state of undress.

t'is a glorious day today isn't it :D Not exactly 'winter'.

Wessa Jun 1st 2011 2:03 am

Originally Posted by keeny (Post 9401367)
t'is a glorious day today isn't it :D Not exactly 'winter'.

Yeah, lovely here in the Waitaki Valley. :thumbup:

The Dean Jun 1st 2011 2:39 am

It's not the first day of winter. Or of anything else.

All seasons all over the world start on the 21st of something, and end three months later on the 20th of something else. If you are in NZ, winter will start on 21 June.

(It's to do with solstices and equinoxes)

Genesis Jun 1st 2011 2:50 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9401480)

All seasons all over the world start on the 21st of something, and end three months later on the 20th of something else. If you are in NZ, winter will start on 21 June.

That is what I heard last week but every one on the radio has been saying today that its the 1st day of winter and assumed I had heard it wrong last week. Just goes to show that probably every thing I hear on the radio is bollocks.:eek:

The Dean Jun 1st 2011 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9401501)
That is what I heard last week but every one on the radio has been saying today that its the 1st day of winter and assumed I had heard it wrong last week. Just goes to show that probably every thing I hear on the radio is bollocks.:eek:

Did they also tell you that the All Blacks are going to win the RWC?

You're right...... total bollocks.

faye_h Jun 1st 2011 3:07 am

Just looking at my calendar and it says first day of winter today! :confused:

Genesis Jun 1st 2011 4:37 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9401516)
Did they also tell you that the All Blacks are going to win the RWC?

You're right...... total bollocks.

And that NZ is the antidote to every thing bad, the land of milk and honey and that the streets are paved with gold.

Bo-Jangles Jun 1st 2011 8:30 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9401480)

Depends on which calendar you follow, but 21st/22nd of June is the shortest day and is the Winter Solstice or 'Mid-winter'.

You could argue until the cows come home (it is Gypsy day after all) but regardless of what any ancient or pagan calendar might say; it is 'officially' the first day of winter here in NZ and Australia today and is marked on local calendars as such.

Winter 1st June
Spring 1st September
Summer 1st December
Autumn 1st March

The Dean Jun 1st 2011 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 9402073)
Depends on which calendar you follow, but 21st/22nd of June is the shortest day and is the Winter Solstice or 'Mid-winter'.

You could argue until the cows come home (it is Gypsy day after all) but regardless of what any ancient or pagan calendar might say; it is 'officially' the first day of winter here in NZ and Australia today and is marked on local calendars as such.

Winter 1st June
Spring 1st September
Summer 1st December
Autumn 1st March

And 21 June is known as "Midsummer Day" in the Northern Hemisphere.......

....... but only by druids............

If today is NZ's 'Midwinter Day', doesn't that mean winter started on or about 16 April?

I need a lie down.

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 1st 2011 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9401318)

TMI Genesis :scaredhair:

Beautiful here too.

The Dean, you & I know that the seasons change on the equinoxes but things are a little bit different down-under. One learns to go with the flow ;). Enjoy your lie down.

Persephone Jun 2nd 2011 12:22 am

It's been getting a bit frosty here in the mornings but we still haven't had the heating on yet:thumbup:
However the fluffy cheap mink very warming Briscoes blankets have been out for a while...