Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

18yrs in China - enough!....

18yrs in China - enough!....

Old Feb 9th 2007, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

sharks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 18yrs in China - enough!....

After 18yrs in Asia, time to move out from under the growing tide of pollution before it engulfs us and our 3 kids. I am an Aussie (& UK citizen), though never lived there. My wife is Portuguese. My kids have UK & Portuguese passports. We have heard many good things about NZ and think between us, we could contribute. Are there any visa/residency comments by those who know?. The NZ consulate in HK was under the impression we could just hop on a plane & go.....Seems to me there must be more to it than that.... hope to hear back, from those who have made the leap...
Old Feb 9th 2007, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 18yrs in China - enough!....

Originally Posted by sharks
After 18yrs in Asia, time to move out from under the growing tide of pollution before it engulfs us and our 3 kids. I am an Aussie (& UK citizen), though never lived there. My wife is Portuguese. My kids have UK & Portuguese passports. We have heard many good things about NZ and think between us, we could contribute. Are there any visa/residency comments by those who know?. The NZ consulate in HK was under the impression we could just hop on a plane & go.....Seems to me there must be more to it than that.... hope to hear back, from those who have made the leap...
After living in China you'll be lonely in NZ - there are no people there.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mazi
After living in China you'll be lonely in NZ - there are no people there.
Yeah...looking forward to it. We never lived in "town" always on offshore islands... My wife is an english teacher at the university and at the hotels schools - though she could teach Portuguese or French?... any jobs available?
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:16 pm
Account Closed

Yeah...looking forward to it. We never lived in "town" always on offshore islands... My wife is an english teacher at the university and at the hotels schools - though she could teach Portuguese or French?... any jobs available?
In my opinion, French would be a God-send to the Kiwis as they are not always au fait with the correct pronunciation (they pronounce chassis 'tSaesIs' for example (you'll have to excuse me, I have lost my phonemic table on my computer but your wife will understand my cack-handed attempt at reproducing the phonemes)) but they seem to learn mostly Kiwi-ese with the odd smattering of an Asian language in schools there. Does she speak English with a strong Portuguese accent? If not, she may be able to teach English but they are not keen on non-native speakers, especially at the universities (for obvious reasons).
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

In my opinion, French would be a God-send to the Kiwis as they are not always au fait with the correct pronunciation (they pronounce chassis 'tSaesIs' for example (you'll have to excuse me, I have lost my phonemic table on my computer but your wife will understand my cack-handed attempt at reproducing the phonemes)) but they seem to learn mostly Kiwi-ese with the odd smattering of an Asian language in schools there. Does she speak English with a strong Portuguese accent? If not, she may be able to teach English but they are not keen on non-native speakers, especially at the universities (for obvious reasons).
Hi Mazi - no my wife speaks better English than me...no accent at all....in fact, she rates much higher (in the assesments) than the native speakers - a matter of character and making the kids get involved. She would be quite happy teaching at a local school/college. I have not pin-pointed a place to live yet - Nelson or Christchurch sounds nice. More important is good schools for the kids (10,5,4) - and hopefully some Portuguese/Spanish friends etc.. to make her feel more at home. We hope to come out in July (summer hols here) and do a months campervanning to get the lay of the land. If we like, start the application process for the family, because apparently as an Aussie I am privaleged to get residency on arrival (thank my lucky stars! - and my good choice in parents)....Tony & Tribe...
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

Hi Mazi - no my wife speaks better English than me...no accent at all....in fact, she rates much higher (in the assesments) than the native speakers - a matter of character and making the kids get involved. She would be quite happy teaching at a local school/college. I have not pin-pointed a place to live yet - Nelson or Christchurch sounds nice. More important is good schools for the kids (10,5,4) - and hopefully some Portuguese/Spanish friends etc.. to make her feel more at home. We hope to come out in July (summer hols here) and do a months campervanning to get the lay of the land. If we like, start the application process for the family, because apparently as an Aussie I am privaleged to get residency on arrival (thank my lucky stars! - and my good choice in parents)....Tony & Tribe...
Ah well, in that case she may find herself a job teaching Asian (again!) students English. Does she have the CELTA or DELTA? The former is essential, the latter, desired.

I can't tell you about kids' schools in those areas but there don't seem to be that many (Continental) Europeans in NZ , at least not Spanish and Portuguese - that's not to say there aren't any, but not in great numbers. A lot of Croatians though.

Yes, you should be allowed to stay with your passport.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Ah well, in that case she may find herself a job teaching Asian (again!) students English. Does she have the CELTA or DELTA? The former is essential, the latter, desired.

I can't tell you about kids' schools in those areas but there don't seem to be that many (Continental) Europeans in NZ , at least not Spanish and Portuguese - that's not to say there aren't any, but not in great numbers. A lot of Croatians though.

Yes, you should be allowed to stay with your passport.
Hi Mazi - I will have to look up the acronyms - but i am sure she does not. She has a degree in International Relations, a TEFL course and a diploma in Education from the U of London - plus many years teaching experience and glowing reviews... Pity about the latins - they add a bit of spice, not to mention good food, to life.... it's great about the bilateral treaty, after having read about the many hoops people have to leap thru, it seems unfair to have it so easy. I also note that many up & leave after a time...hopeing we won't fall into that category. I have an great Uncle (now 90+) and cousins I have never met in NZ... Interesting times ahead for us, can feel the juices flowing again...
Old Feb 9th 2007, 4:17 pm
Account Closed

Hi Mazi - I will have to look up the acronyms - but i am sure she does not. She has a degree in International Relations, a TEFL course and a diploma in Education from the U of London - plus many years teaching experience and glowing reviews...

Pity about the latins - they add a bit of spice, not to mention good food, to life.... Too true!

it's great about the bilateral treaty, after having read about the many hoops people have to leap thru,

it seems unfair to have it so easy. Nah, not really

I also note that many up & leave after a time...yes, me included

hopeing we won't fall into that category. I have an great Uncle (now 90+) and cousins I have never met in NZ... They won't thank you for being an Aussie! But it'll be great to meet them , I'm sure.

Interesting times ahead for us, can feel the juices flowing again...
Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (Cambridge Uni)
Diploma - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A lot of the university-level language institutes are not accepting TEFL certs of any nature but the CELTA now (but there will, of course, be exceptions). However, your wife's DipEd may cover her.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 1:16 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

The NZ consulate in HK was under the impression we could just hop on a plane & go.....Seems to me there must be more to it than that.... hope to hear back, from those who have made the leap...
I'd double check with NZ immigration. Go to www.govt.nz and search for DOL (Department Of Labour [they control immigration]).

Australian passport holders do not need any visas to enter, remain and work in NZ. Spouse and children should be fine BUT I'm not sure what documents/visas etc they require for your wife and children. Marriage and birth certificates might suffice, along with their passports but best to check it out and ensure all criteria are met before you go booking flights.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 1:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I'd double check with NZ immigration. Go to www.govt.nz and search for DOL (Department Of Labour [they control immigration]).

Australian passport holders do not need any visas to enter, remain and work in NZ. Spouse and children should be fine BUT I'm not sure what documents/visas etc they require for your wife and children. Marriage and birth certificates might suffice, along with their passports but best to check it out and ensure all criteria are met before you go booking flights.
Hi - the HK consulate advised me to apply from NZ after landing - they said would take 6+ months to apply from here. Apparently I qualify some form of residency visa on landing. My general idea was to take a long holiday in NZ - then if the wife agrees, we apply for a visa for wife & kids there. After we have to return to China - we have a mountain of packing to do....ughhh