$24 per hour???

Old Nov 18th 2012, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $24 per hour???

I guess theres no point going over to start a new life to work more than hours than you currently do.

my oh used to work 60 hours a week but now he's on 40ish. dont like the cut in wages but its much better for his health!

Would it not be doable if the oh's wife works?
Old Nov 18th 2012, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all

Depends what your priorities are. We will be much worse off financially but going for the attitude to live rather than being in the rat race. Of course money helps (and the others on here can comment far more accurately about cost of living). If you're going because you want to be more financially comfortable, forget it. If you're going because generally life is more laid back and kids can be kids (and you don't mind beans on toast), then go for it. Life is too short for regrets xx
Old Nov 18th 2012, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

If a couple is coming and both want to live on one persons wage at $24 an hour I would say it is not worth it. Not everyone moves to be financially better off - but it wouldn't just be a little difference - it would be very hard for 2 people to live on that money and doesn't make sense to go to the other side of the world. If they are both earning full time - it will be ok - so if its the quality/lifestyle they are after its another matter entirely....even if the overall income will be lower.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 10:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by akm
Hi,

I am looking for a bit on info if anybody could help me.

I have been offered a job in Christchurch, working as a welder. I have been told the hourly rate is $24 and there is a minimum of 40 hours per week available.

I am curious to know what standard of living i could expect to have with this wage for me and my wife. Would we be struggling to make ends meet or would it be comfortable?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

AKM
You could find that a struggle given what you're current earning power in the UK . We are a couple and we have lived off very similar rates for the past couple of years. Saving grace for us has been no rent or mortgage to pay.
It would be a week on week existence.

It really very much depends on why you wold want to come to NZ or perhaps why you are looking to leave the UK

we would be coming out on a working holiday visa to start with and then after 6months trial, the company is willing to sponsor me for us to stay.
This bothers me a bit. If you are qualified then you don't need a blummin' 6 month trial.

Welder doesn't appear to be an occupation in shortage here Not even on the Christchurch skill shortage list. So, you would be looking at a work to residence visa probably and for that you would need $27 bucks an hour over a 40 hour week.