Reload this Page >

Just moved to the windy city

Just moved to the windy city

Old Nov 17th 2012, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Justos04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Just moved to the windy city

Hi all,
Just into my 3rd week of a 2 year secondment in Wellington from the UK. So far so good, enjoying the (mostly) beautiful sunshine, yummy coffee and slightly more laid back atmosphere here. I'm moving to Mt Cook and hoping to join a club and/or the gym. I'm a bit of a sports fan (watching and playing although I'm a bit older now with even older knees!) so just wondering if there were any like minded souls out there with any recommendations of anything nearby? It's just lil old me so I'm hoping to make the most of my time out here
Old Nov 17th 2012, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just moved to the windy city

Welcome to Wellington.

Have a look at www.meetup.com for groups and activities in the area. There's always something interesting taking place and everyone is welcome.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks cappuccino, that looks at great link!
Old Nov 17th 2012, 11:15 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya and welcome to BE and the NZ branch!

Sorry not in Wellington, but I am sure some locals will make themselves known soon enough!

Pop by and let us know how you are getting on!
Old Nov 18th 2012, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

madao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there and welcome

We've been here for a year now, living in the middle of Courtenay Place. I'm not a massive sports fan, playing or watching, but we went to the 2020 cricket at Westpac Stadium last Friday which was a good evening out. I think it's every Friday now through the season.

There certainly seems to be lots of activities to get involved in. The meetup.com link already posted should show that.

Other than that Four Kings bar seems a good place to watch televised sports, formula 1, football etc. It's across the road for us and seems to be open all hours!

What kind of work are you in and what's your impression of NZ / Wellington so far?
Old Nov 18th 2012, 5:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the welcome guys. I've been quite tempted by the Friday night cricket but haven't managed to get along yet. Courtney Place is very central isnt it, really close to most things going on. I'm working in the Stats office on the harbour front. My first impressions are all good, despite the weather, you can't beat it here when the sun is shining and everyone is smiling. People at work, shops and cafes/ bars etc have all been very welcoming and I haven't felt like a lemon visiting these on my own. Prices are higher than I thought they would be but then again I didn't live in London before so they may be more comparable. I'm hoping to be able to get out and about to visit but not sure whether this means I need to get a car?

Wow a year, what line of work are you in and what are your general thoughts on Welly? Are you planning to stay here?
Old Nov 18th 2012, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Teresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really nice

Hi and welcome to Welly

There's quite a lot to do in central wellington, parliament tours, botanical gardens, museums and there's the weta cave in Miramar (very small but interesting if you like sci-fi and movies). If you want to go further afield you will probably need a car as the public transport system outside of wellington is not good. Hopefully the weather will warm up soon and you will see Wellington at its best.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

madao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond repute

Courtenay Place is certainly central, downside being very loud too especially as there is no double glazing in the building! As a light sleeper I often end up awake singing along to the music still blaring out from Electric Avenue at 4am.

There's certainly lots of choice for bars & restaurants which also means lots of good deals too. Reward junkie app on your phone and websites groupon, grab one and treat me are worth a look for some good going out deals.

We found the prices higher than expected too but have found it just takes some getting used too and a bit of advance thought in to meal planning and supermarket trips. There are also a few fruit & veg markets around the city at the weekends which are a lot cheaper than buying from the supermarkets. Try to resist converting everything to UK £ too as it will just do your head in.

We survived a year without a car but finally got one last week. It won't start this morning but that's another story!

I work at the airport for a ground handler managing some of the international flights. Very different to my previous job in the UK. We got our residency through earlier this year and certainly plan to stay. Love the country and have no desire to move back!

Originally Posted by Justos04
Thanks for the welcome guys. I've been quite tempted by the Friday night cricket but haven't managed to get along yet. Courtney Place is very central isnt it, really close to most things going on. I'm working in the Stats office on the harbour front. My first impressions are all good, despite the weather, you can't beat it here when the sun is shining and everyone is smiling. People at work, shops and cafes/ bars etc have all been very welcoming and I haven't felt like a lemon visiting these on my own. Prices are higher than I thought they would be but then again I didn't live in London before so they may be more comparable. I'm hoping to be able to get out and about to visit but not sure whether this means I need to get a car?

Wow a year, what line of work are you in and what are your general thoughts on Welly? Are you planning to stay here?
Old Nov 19th 2012, 6:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the welcome Teresa!

Madao - definitely know what you mean about converting everything and am trying to resist the urge ha ha! Really pleased to hear you are enjoying welly life. I am too, my stress levels are too!

Not too shabby a job too, hopefully most people are happy and smiley when they arrive in the country?!

Thanks for all your bargain hunting tips, I will most definitely using those!

Fingers crossed the car has passed the morning test?!