Yorkshire

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 1:16 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yorkshire

I lived in Canada too and was lucky that I had a health plan with my employer. I thought their doctor and hospital system was really good, but I know what you mean about prescriptions.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reeni
been back in S Yorkshire since Feb 1, 2011
..The people are friendly, perhaps thinking i am a little crazy for coming back from Canada. But I just tell em - I love it here and how great I think it is. Oft the response is them thinking I AM crazy The air is great, the weather is lovely...
The truth is that many people here in the UK - who have never had the balls to go and live in other countries or planned to, as in my case, and then had so many unforseen obstacles placed in the way of such a move and therefore were forced to stay put - really believe that the grass is so much greener in many other countries with similar lifestyles, and that the UK is some kind of hellhole for whatever reason....more so now with the economy on a tight rope and Government cutbacks coming at us full pelt from all sides - it's UK Budget Day tomorrow and only today the latest economic report states that the current rate of inflation of over 4% is the highest since 1991, and unemployment is still climbing. On top of that add the social problems facing this country - anti social behaviour and all that kind of caper.

Then I come into this Ex Pats Forum and I'm gobsmacked at the number of people who did have the balls to ship out of the UK but then wish they hadn't for a variety of reasons, and often find similar difficulties or even worse ones of a different nature in their new homelands, therefore kicking the "grass is greener" element firmly into touch.

Not all people who sound off big time about current life in the UK are Daily Mail readers by any stretch of the imagination, but looking back over history the British people have always had a tendency to moan and whine and whinge about their lot anyway - it really must be part of our nature as a race. Most just put up with the things they get all wound up about - like all those train travelling commuters on suburban lines in and out of London in the brilliant TV program "Train Journeys from Hell" shown last night 21/03 and hosted by Victor (I don't believe it!) Meldrew - sorry, I mean Richard Wilson - all expressing their dissatisfaction about crowding on the trains and sudden cancellations - but doing bugger all about it in the way of protest and complaints - "it won't make any difference" according to them. The Germans don't think that way - they demand action and change and get it.

Yet in spite of all of this crap many people do come to live in this country from abroad and really like it and never wish to leave - as highlighted in a late night program on TalkSport radio yesterday/today. Many people from other non third world developed countries come to the UK on short terms stay visas and then apply for extensions and some don't even apply - they choose to stay here illegally until they get caught up in the system. The presenter of that radio program went on about all the reasons why so many people enjoy living in the UK and choose to stay. The reasons are many and varied.

It's a funny old world really.

Yes, the spring weather here in the UK right now really is very pleasant....not much rain since the start of the year really, and hardly any at all so far this month in most parts away from the north western Highlands, sunny days and the temperatures slowly warming up - 18C promised later in the south - and clocks go forward an hour early on Sunday morning...British Summer Time.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Well said, LothianLad!
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
The truth is that many people here in the UK - who have never had the balls to go and live in other countries or planned to, as in my case, and then had so many unforseen obstacles placed in the way of such a move and therefore were forced to stay put - really believe that the grass is so much greener in many other countries with similar lifestyles, and that the UK is some kind of hellhole for whatever reason....
I have emigrated twice (South Africa and Canada) partly because of work and partly out of nothing more than a sense of adventure. I never intended to stay in these countries. I have no regrets but often wonder if I would have better off just moving to a different part of the UK. Years ago, in the UK, apart from those that emigrated, there was less movement of people and many had a tendency to stay in their own back yard. I am sure the Internet contributes to people moving and finding work in different places.