British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Yes or No? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/yes-no-914616/)

Richard8655 Jul 10th 2018 10:15 pm

Re: Yes or No?

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 12530565)
I don't think that travel to Europe as a tourist is going to be badly impacted, although travel is already more expensive than it was, and will probably remain so. The main effect of brexit is more likely to be poor economic performance by the UK economy, which will affect incomes, but also impact on public services including the NHS and social care. I've observed that one of the motivations for ex-pats returning in retirement is the safety net of the NHS, pension credit, and subsidised social care. It is worth bearing in mind that these services may be pared back as a result of brexit. For younger people, however, brexit is going to be even more negative. Most sectors of the economy will be negatively impacted and that affects career prospects. I advise young people to consider emigrating.

I think this is very true. The latest companies considering exiting UK are Jaguar Land Rover and Philips. Loss of large business concerns like this impacts jobs and funding for social services such as NHS. NHS is indeed very generous with free coverage for its returning expats, more so than Ireland and most EU countries that are not completely free of fees, charges, and other costs for medical care. Returning UK expats and retirees could be faced with similar if Brexit trends continue.

Rusty Chainsaw Jul 11th 2018 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Richard8655 (Post 12530696)
I think this is very true. The latest companies considering exiting UK are Jaguar Land Rover and Philips. Loss of large business concerns like this impacts jobs and funding for social services such as NHS. NHS is indeed very generous with free coverage for its returning expats, more so than Ireland and most EU countries that are not completely free of fees, charges, and other costs for medical care. Returning UK expats and retirees could be faced with similar if Brexit trends continue.

I've heard JRM bibbling on about the UK becoming a "vassal state" of the EU if there's no hard Brexit. The thing is, if JRM and Boris have their way and get their hard Brexit, they'll quickly steer the UK towards being a vassal state to Trump's US, bringing with it chlorinated chicken, GM foods, and almost certainly opening the NHS up to US health insurance companies. This would put the NHS in existential crisis mode, and any returning British expats hoping for their NHS health and social care are going to end up rather disappointed.

Still Game Jul 12th 2018 6:23 am

Very interesting to read points of view (thanks all for keeping it civilised)

Richard8655 Jul 14th 2018 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw (Post 12530761)
I've heard JRM bibbling on about the UK becoming a "vassal state" of the EU if there's no hard Brexit. The thing is, if JRM and Boris have their way and get their hard Brexit, they'll quickly steer the UK towards being a vassal state to Trump's US, bringing with it chlorinated chicken, GM foods, and almost certainly opening the NHS up to US health insurance companies. This would put the NHS in existential crisis mode, and any returning British expats hoping for their NHS health and social care are going to end up rather disappointed.

Good point, as am currently under the US health insurance profit-on-illness scheme. Money to be made in keeping patients returning. In the meantime, thousands in poor rural states wait long hours when occasional mobile charity clinics visit, who haven’t seen a doctor in years. Nobody should wish this kind of health care system anywhere in the world.

Still Game Jul 15th 2018 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Richard8655 (Post 12530696)

I've noticed this and has me slightly worried should we ever return.

Still Game Jul 15th 2018 4:26 am

ps the "no" voters are currently ahead of the "yes" 16-11

Still Game Dec 11th 2018 4:27 am

Has anyone’s mind changed with the recent goings-on?

ab.kelly Dec 11th 2018 12:39 pm

Hi there,

We moved back to the UK in October last year (after the vote), so it didn't stop us. The only thing that really worries me is the likely inability to retire anywhere in Europe.
Sigh...
I've got 5 years and 9 months until retirement ... not that I'm counting, or anything...

Cape Blue Dec 11th 2018 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by ab.kelly (Post 12607291)
Hi there,

We moved back to the UK in October last year (after the vote), so it didn't stop us. The only thing that really worries me is the likely inability to retire anywhere in Europe.
Sigh...
I've got 5 years and 9 months until retirement ... not that I'm counting, or anything...

I suspect places like Spain will still be happy for UK people to retire there.

Rusty Chainsaw Dec 11th 2018 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12607309)
I suspect places like Spain will still be happy for UK people to retire there.

Rich people, maybe.

This is one of the big problems with Brexit and free movement - before the EU, free movement was a class thing. If you were rich, you could pretty much move and live anywhere.

The EU, and the introduction of freedom of movement, combined with the rise of the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet, levelled the playing field, all of a sudden anyone could go and live anywhere in the EU if they had a job to go to and enough cash to start themselves off. The Europe section of this site is testament to the fact that many of us, from all backgrounds, have done just that.

Brexit risks throwing us back to the time when living abroad was only for the rich.

ab.kelly Dec 11th 2018 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw (Post 12607325)
Rich people, maybe.

Brexit risks throwing us back to the time when living abroad was only for the rich.

So very true! And I ain't one of 'em, unfortunately...

Then I worry about the poor sods over there now ... it isn't going to be easy for them ... no matter the rhetoric coming from both sides...

Richard8655 Dec 11th 2018 1:43 pm

Recent events certainly give pause. The recent Bank of England economic impact of a no deal Brexit is worrisome. As of today, it looks like the cabinet will now be discussing no deal as an option following the Commons vote fiasco.

Rusty Chainsaw Dec 11th 2018 2:17 pm

Just going to leave this here:

ab.kelly Dec 11th 2018 2:19 pm

Bwah ha ha ha ... most cool!

Especially given I'm originally a Kiwi...

:)

Cape Blue Dec 11th 2018 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw (Post 12607325)
Rich people, maybe.

This is one of the big problems with Brexit and free movement - before the EU, free movement was a class thing. If you were rich, you could pretty much move and live anywhere.

The EU, and the introduction of freedom of movement, combined with the rise of the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet, levelled the playing field, all of a sudden anyone could go and live anywhere in the EU if they had a job to go to and enough cash to start themselves off. The Europe section of this site is testament to the fact that many of us, from all backgrounds, have done just that.

I don't think you'll need to be rich to retire there - if you have a pension and enough to buy or rent a house, I suspect the Spanish will be OK - it's not like you'll have any recourse to Spanish income benefits and your healthcare will be paid by the NHS.