British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Yes or No? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/yes-no-914616/)

Still Game Jul 5th 2018 5:02 am

Yes or No?

I'm interested in whether people are deciding not to move back to the UK based on what you feel may happen with BREXIT?

I know many people have vastly different opinions, and I'm not looking to open a huge debate/can of worms as I know this can be a heated subject - just looking to gauge via a Yes or No.

Thanks.

Floridablues Jul 5th 2018 1:22 pm

Re: Yes or No?

Moving back to the UK or into Europe is something i've been considering for the past couple of years so obviously interested to know the outcome and i guess it might influence my final decision. I'm a dual citizen coming up the pension age.

Still Game Jul 8th 2018 7:29 am

Fairly even spread 6 to 5 for the Yes camp. Will be interesting to see what the year brings,

scot47 Jul 8th 2018 9:00 am

A few years ago I had the option to take out Bulgarian citizenship. I did not. Mistake ? Maybe. Too late to reverse the decision.

Editha Jul 8th 2018 3:48 pm

I think Brexit is a disaster, but whether it affects a decision to move back to the UK rather depends on where you are moving from, what stage of your life you have reached and your other personal circumstances.

durham_lad Jul 9th 2018 1:51 pm

Brexit certainly did not influence our decision to move back in January 2017, and our son also moved back 9 months later, he told us that living here through the Brexit transition is still far preferable to where he was living in the USA. We are retired so his decision was more likely to be affected by Brexit since he had a job to find and hold onto. The job he got, within 6 weeks of arriving last year, is in Transport IT, supporting payment systems (think Oyster cards and their equivalents) in the UK and different english speaking countries around the world, so no systems in Europe other than Dublin in Ireland. They also support transport payment systems in Chicago, San Francisco, Miami, New York City, and Brisbane.

Rusty Chainsaw Jul 9th 2018 7:01 pm

I don't even want to visit the UK anymore since Brexit, let alone move back. The whole thing has left a nasty taste in my mouth.

At least our (big, fat, orange, stupid) issues here in the US have a time limit attached.

robin1234 Jul 9th 2018 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw (Post 12529962)
I don't even want to visit the UK anymore since Brexit, let alone move back. The whole thing has left a nasty taste in my mouth.

At least our (big, fat, orange, stupid) issues here in the US have a time limit attached.

Time limit? The next six and a half years could seem like an eternity, though.

durham_lad Jul 9th 2018 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw (Post 12529962)

Like about 30 years after he nominates his 2nd Supreme Court judge, not counting the many Federal Court judges he has appointed and continues to appoint (21 so far) that are changing the judicial landscape for a long time to come.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...y_Donald_Trump

Rusty Chainsaw Jul 9th 2018 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12529993)

Like about 30 years after he nominates his 2nd Supreme Court judge, not counting the many Federal Court judges he has appointed and continues to appoint (21 so far) that are changing the judicial landscape for a long time to come.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...y_Donald_Trump

This is why I'd quite like to keep my EU citizenship. I want an escape plan that doesn't involve the UK!

Richard8655 Jul 10th 2018 12:52 pm

Concerned the atmosphere in the UK has changed since Brexit. UK becoming more insular and less open to the rest of Europe is a worry. Having to rely more on spouse’s Polish passport for access to Europe.

tusitala Jul 10th 2018 5:19 pm

We are retiring to Scotland from the US and about the only positive aspect of Brexit for us is the drop in the value of the pound

On the negative side it will make travel to Europe more complicated and possibly trigger another independence vote for Scotland which will create more uncertainty for us

If Scotland did vote for independence they would probably apply to rejoin the EU but that would take years

scot47 Jul 10th 2018 5:28 pm

Robin 1234

Six and a half years ? I think Armageddon may ensue before then.

Editha Jul 10th 2018 5:35 pm

I don't think that travel to Europe as a tourist is going to be badly impacted, although travel is already more expensive than it was, and will probably remain so. The main effect of brexit is more likely to be poor economic performance by the UK economy, which will affect incomes, but also impact on public services including the NHS and social care. I've observed that one of the motivations for ex-pats returning in retirement is the safety net of the NHS, pension credit, and subsidised social care. It is worth bearing in mind that these services may be pared back as a result of brexit. For younger people, however, brexit is going to be even more negative. Most sectors of the economy will be negatively impacted and that affects career prospects. I advise young people to consider emigrating.

durham_lad Jul 10th 2018 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12530560)
Robin 1234

Six and a half years ? I think Armageddon may ensue before then.

6 years? No problem, be over in no time, WWII just flew by.

Richard8655 Jul 10th 2018 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 12530565)
I don't think that travel to Europe as a tourist is going to be badly impacted, although travel is already more expensive than it was, and will probably remain so. The main effect of brexit is more likely to be poor economic performance by the UK economy, which will affect incomes, but also impact on public services including the NHS and social care. I've observed that one of the motivations for ex-pats returning in retirement is the safety net of the NHS, pension credit, and subsidised social care. It is worth bearing in mind that these services may be pared back as a result of brexit. For younger people, however, brexit is going to be even more negative. Most sectors of the economy will be negatively impacted and that affects career prospects. I advise young people to consider emigrating.

I think this is very true. The latest companies considering exiting UK are Jaguar Land Rover and Philips. Loss of large business concerns like this impacts jobs and funding for social services such as NHS. NHS is indeed very generous with free coverage for its returning expats, more so than Ireland and most EU countries that are not completely free of fees, charges, and other costs for medical care. Returning UK expats and retirees could be faced with similar if Brexit trends continue.

Rusty Chainsaw Jul 11th 2018 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Richard8655 (Post 12530696)
I think this is very true. The latest companies considering exiting UK are Jaguar Land Rover and Philips. Loss of large business concerns like this impacts jobs and funding for social services such as NHS. NHS is indeed very generous with free coverage for its returning expats, more so than Ireland and most EU countries that are not completely free of fees, charges, and other costs for medical care. Returning UK expats and retirees could be faced with similar if Brexit trends continue.

I've heard JRM bibbling on about the UK becoming a "vassal state" of the EU if there's no hard Brexit. The thing is, if JRM and Boris have their way and get their hard Brexit, they'll quickly steer the UK towards being a vassal state to Trump's US, bringing with it chlorinated chicken, GM foods, and almost certainly opening the NHS up to US health insurance companies. This would put the NHS in existential crisis mode, and any returning British expats hoping for their NHS health and social care are going to end up rather disappointed.

Still Game Jul 12th 2018 6:23 am

Very interesting to read points of view (thanks all for keeping it civilised)

Richard8655 Jul 14th 2018 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw (Post 12530761)
I've heard JRM bibbling on about the UK becoming a "vassal state" of the EU if there's no hard Brexit. The thing is, if JRM and Boris have their way and get their hard Brexit, they'll quickly steer the UK towards being a vassal state to Trump's US, bringing with it chlorinated chicken, GM foods, and almost certainly opening the NHS up to US health insurance companies. This would put the NHS in existential crisis mode, and any returning British expats hoping for their NHS health and social care are going to end up rather disappointed.

Good point, as am currently under the US health insurance profit-on-illness scheme. Money to be made in keeping patients returning. In the meantime, thousands in poor rural states wait long hours when occasional mobile charity clinics visit, who haven’t seen a doctor in years. Nobody should wish this kind of health care system anywhere in the world.

Still Game Jul 15th 2018 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Richard8655 (Post 12530696)

I've noticed this and has me slightly worried should we ever return.

Still Game Jul 15th 2018 4:26 am

ps the "no" voters are currently ahead of the "yes" 16-11

Still Game Dec 11th 2018 4:27 am

Has anyone’s mind changed with the recent goings-on?

ab.kelly Dec 11th 2018 12:39 pm

Hi there,

We moved back to the UK in October last year (after the vote), so it didn't stop us. The only thing that really worries me is the likely inability to retire anywhere in Europe.
Sigh...
I've got 5 years and 9 months until retirement ... not that I'm counting, or anything...

Cape Blue Dec 11th 2018 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by ab.kelly (Post 12607291)
Hi there,

We moved back to the UK in October last year (after the vote), so it didn't stop us. The only thing that really worries me is the likely inability to retire anywhere in Europe.
Sigh...
I've got 5 years and 9 months until retirement ... not that I'm counting, or anything...

I suspect places like Spain will still be happy for UK people to retire there.

Rusty Chainsaw Dec 11th 2018 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12607309)
I suspect places like Spain will still be happy for UK people to retire there.

Rich people, maybe.

This is one of the big problems with Brexit and free movement - before the EU, free movement was a class thing. If you were rich, you could pretty much move and live anywhere.

The EU, and the introduction of freedom of movement, combined with the rise of the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet, levelled the playing field, all of a sudden anyone could go and live anywhere in the EU if they had a job to go to and enough cash to start themselves off. The Europe section of this site is testament to the fact that many of us, from all backgrounds, have done just that.

Brexit risks throwing us back to the time when living abroad was only for the rich.

ab.kelly Dec 11th 2018 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw (Post 12607325)
Rich people, maybe.

Brexit risks throwing us back to the time when living abroad was only for the rich.

So very true! And I ain't one of 'em, unfortunately...

Then I worry about the poor sods over there now ... it isn't going to be easy for them ... no matter the rhetoric coming from both sides...

Richard8655 Dec 11th 2018 1:43 pm

Recent events certainly give pause. The recent Bank of England economic impact of a no deal Brexit is worrisome. As of today, it looks like the cabinet will now be discussing no deal as an option following the Commons vote fiasco.

Rusty Chainsaw Dec 11th 2018 2:17 pm

Just going to leave this here:

ab.kelly Dec 11th 2018 2:19 pm

Bwah ha ha ha ... most cool!

Especially given I'm originally a Kiwi...

:)

Cape Blue Dec 11th 2018 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw (Post 12607325)
Rich people, maybe.

This is one of the big problems with Brexit and free movement - before the EU, free movement was a class thing. If you were rich, you could pretty much move and live anywhere.

The EU, and the introduction of freedom of movement, combined with the rise of the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet, levelled the playing field, all of a sudden anyone could go and live anywhere in the EU if they had a job to go to and enough cash to start themselves off. The Europe section of this site is testament to the fact that many of us, from all backgrounds, have done just that.

I don't think you'll need to be rich to retire there - if you have a pension and enough to buy or rent a house, I suspect the Spanish will be OK - it's not like you'll have any recourse to Spanish income benefits and your healthcare will be paid by the NHS.

Rusty Chainsaw Dec 11th 2018 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12607362)
I don't think you'll need to be rich to retire there - if you have a pension and enough to buy or rent a house, I suspect the Spanish will be OK - it's not like you'll have any recourse to Spanish income benefits and your healthcare will be paid by the NHS.

With Brexit, the UK will no longer be a member of EHIC, so, no, the NHS won't be paying their medical bills.

Given that most Brits who move to Spain are retirees and at the stage of life where they consume more healthcare resources than younger people, they'll have to have the money to pay for private insurance (which comes with its own hurdles with pre-existing conditions, etc).

The scary part is, many of these retirees on the Costa Del Sol are Brexiteers, despite the obvious irony and hypocrisy involved.

ab.kelly Dec 11th 2018 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw (Post 12607370)
The scary part is, many of these retirees on the Costa Del Sol are Brexiteers, despite the obvious irony and hypocrisy involved.

Yes ... always thought that a bit strange!

Well, there'll be a lot of navel-gazing going on when they're tucking into their roast beef and Yorkshire puds in the many 'British' eateries lining the Cost Del Sol now, I'm thinking...

Moses2013 Dec 11th 2018 2:47 pm

With Brexit, the UK will no longer be a member of EHIC, so, no, the NHS won't be paying their medical bills.

Given that most Brits who move to Spain are retirees and at the stage of life where they consume more healthcare resources than younger people, they'll have to have the money to pay for private insurance (which comes with its own hurdles with pre-existing conditions, etc).

It's a business and as long as it's still cheaper to do the hip replacement in Spain, the NHS will pay? Spain will also be happy to get the money, so I don't see a problem there. EHIC is also just for temporary visits, but it's not called EUHIC. You are still in Europe, after Brexit.

Cape Blue Dec 11th 2018 2:48 pm

I don't think EHIC covered retirees medical costs in the past (EHIC is for travellers, not residents) - to my knowledge retirees with pensions were covered under a different system of S1.

I'm sure the UK will agree with Spain a continuation of the system whereby retirees medical costs can be reimbursed to the Spanish medical system by the NHS - why wouldn't they?

scot47 Dec 11th 2018 2:53 pm

EHIC is not confined to EU Iceland accepts it for example and is not in EU There is still hope that a negoitaed BREXIT or better still a CANCELLED BREXIT will mean that we can iuse EHIC as travellers

Rusty Chainsaw Dec 11th 2018 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12607381)
I don't think EHIC covered retirees medical costs in the past (EHIC is for travellers, not residents) - to my knowledge retirees with pensions were covered under a different system of S1.

I'm sure the UK will agree with Spain a continuation of the system whereby retirees medical costs can be reimbursed to the Spanish medical system by the NHS - why wouldn't they?

Depends on what the Brexit deal ends up being.

If it's a full-on WTO hard Brexit, then all bets are off and it's not likely that there'll be any reciprocity in healthcare provision whatsoever. It'll take years to negotiate everything that will come of that.

Right now, the most likely outcome, since the Maybot's deal is dead in the water, is probably Norway++ (ie, EEA with customs union membership), if that does end up being the case then things will probably carry on mostly as they are now, just without the UK having a seat at the EU table.

Lynn R Dec 11th 2018 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12607362)

Spain currently requires non EU citizens applying for non lucrative visas (including retirees) to have a minimum annual income of €25,560 for a single person, plus €6,390 for each additional family member (ie a total annual income for a couple of €31,950). That would rule out a significant proportion of the people who have retired here under EU freedom of movement rules. There is no reason whatsoever to suppose that Spain would not apply the same rules to UK citizens once the UK becomes a third country.

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consula...nLucrative.pdf

Cape Blue Dec 11th 2018 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 12607390)
Spain currently requires non EU citizens applying for non lucrative visas (including retirees) to have a minimum annual income of €25,560 for a single person, plus €6,390 for each additional family member (ie a total annual income for a couple of €31,950). That would rule out a significant proportion of the people who have retired here under EU freedom of movement rules. There is no reason whatsoever to suppose that Spain would not apply the same rules to UK citizens once the UK becomes a third country.

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consula...nLucrative.pdf

As I said, you don't need to be rich, just average.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...me-19-900.html

People retiring this year expect an annual income of £19,900 - a 10 per cent jump on last year after bumper stock market returns helped to boost retirement pots.

Average expected retirement incomes - including money from state and private pensions, savings and investments - have now risen consistently since 2013 when they hit a low of £15,300.
Looks like an average for two people would be £39,800 or around Euro44K.

Other data suggests a lower average - £29,952 for a couple - Euro33K
https://www.pensionbee.com/blog/2018...ple?ast=5PG7ld

Data from the Department for Work and Pensions analysed earlier this year showed that the average UK retired couple has a weekly income of £576 or £29,952 a year,
This seems to show that the average retirees will meet the current hurdle, although clearly those below average may not.

Rusty Chainsaw Dec 11th 2018 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12607401)
As I said, you don't need to be rich, just average.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...me-19-900.html

Looks like an average for two people would be £39,800 or around Euro44K.

Other data suggests a lower average - £29,952 for a couple - Euro33K
https://www.pensionbee.com/blog/2018...ple?ast=5PG7ld

This seems to show that the average retirees will meet the current hurdle, although clearly those below average may not.

Still requires people to have a private pension - those who have only the state pension to rely on are out.

The pound will also be worth less than it is now assuming a hard Brexit, so any UK-sourced income will be worth less in Euros than it is today.

Then, as previously mentioned, there's going to be the possibility/likelihood of having to pay for health insurance.

Cape Blue Dec 11th 2018 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw (Post 12607411)
Still requires people to have a private pension - those who have only the state pension to rely on are out.

The pound will also be worth less than it is now assuming a hard Brexit, so any UK-sourced income will be worth less in Euros than it is today.

Then, as previously mentioned, there's going to be the possibility/likelihood of having to pay for health insurance.

You said:

I'm merely pointing-out that it will likely be for the average, not the rich.