British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Yes or No? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/yes-no-914616/)

Still Game Jul 5th 2018 5:02 am

Yes or No?

I'm interested in whether people are deciding not to move back to the UK based on what you feel may happen with BREXIT?

I know many people have vastly different opinions, and I'm not looking to open a huge debate/can of worms as I know this can be a heated subject - just looking to gauge via a Yes or No.

Thanks.

Floridablues Jul 5th 2018 1:22 pm

Re: Yes or No?

Moving back to the UK or into Europe is something i've been considering for the past couple of years so obviously interested to know the outcome and i guess it might influence my final decision. I'm a dual citizen coming up the pension age.

Still Game Jul 8th 2018 7:29 am

Fairly even spread 6 to 5 for the Yes camp. Will be interesting to see what the year brings,

scot47 Jul 8th 2018 9:00 am

A few years ago I had the option to take out Bulgarian citizenship. I did not. Mistake ? Maybe. Too late to reverse the decision.

Editha Jul 8th 2018 3:48 pm

I think Brexit is a disaster, but whether it affects a decision to move back to the UK rather depends on where you are moving from, what stage of your life you have reached and your other personal circumstances.

durham_lad Jul 9th 2018 1:51 pm

Brexit certainly did not influence our decision to move back in January 2017, and our son also moved back 9 months later, he told us that living here through the Brexit transition is still far preferable to where he was living in the USA. We are retired so his decision was more likely to be affected by Brexit since he had a job to find and hold onto. The job he got, within 6 weeks of arriving last year, is in Transport IT, supporting payment systems (think Oyster cards and their equivalents) in the UK and different english speaking countries around the world, so no systems in Europe other than Dublin in Ireland. They also support transport payment systems in Chicago, San Francisco, Miami, New York City, and Brisbane.

Rusty Chainsaw Jul 9th 2018 7:01 pm

I don't even want to visit the UK anymore since Brexit, let alone move back. The whole thing has left a nasty taste in my mouth.

At least our (big, fat, orange, stupid) issues here in the US have a time limit attached.

robin1234 Jul 9th 2018 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw (Post 12529962)
I don't even want to visit the UK anymore since Brexit, let alone move back. The whole thing has left a nasty taste in my mouth.

At least our (big, fat, orange, stupid) issues here in the US have a time limit attached.

Time limit? The next six and a half years could seem like an eternity, though.

durham_lad Jul 9th 2018 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw (Post 12529962)

Like about 30 years after he nominates his 2nd Supreme Court judge, not counting the many Federal Court judges he has appointed and continues to appoint (21 so far) that are changing the judicial landscape for a long time to come.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...y_Donald_Trump

Rusty Chainsaw Jul 9th 2018 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12529993)

Like about 30 years after he nominates his 2nd Supreme Court judge, not counting the many Federal Court judges he has appointed and continues to appoint (21 so far) that are changing the judicial landscape for a long time to come.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...y_Donald_Trump

This is why I'd quite like to keep my EU citizenship. I want an escape plan that doesn't involve the UK!

Richard8655 Jul 10th 2018 12:52 pm

Concerned the atmosphere in the UK has changed since Brexit. UK becoming more insular and less open to the rest of Europe is a worry. Having to rely more on spouse’s Polish passport for access to Europe.

tusitala Jul 10th 2018 5:19 pm

We are retiring to Scotland from the US and about the only positive aspect of Brexit for us is the drop in the value of the pound

On the negative side it will make travel to Europe more complicated and possibly trigger another independence vote for Scotland which will create more uncertainty for us

If Scotland did vote for independence they would probably apply to rejoin the EU but that would take years

scot47 Jul 10th 2018 5:28 pm

Robin 1234

Six and a half years ? I think Armageddon may ensue before then.

Editha Jul 10th 2018 5:35 pm

I don't think that travel to Europe as a tourist is going to be badly impacted, although travel is already more expensive than it was, and will probably remain so. The main effect of brexit is more likely to be poor economic performance by the UK economy, which will affect incomes, but also impact on public services including the NHS and social care. I've observed that one of the motivations for ex-pats returning in retirement is the safety net of the NHS, pension credit, and subsidised social care. It is worth bearing in mind that these services may be pared back as a result of brexit. For younger people, however, brexit is going to be even more negative. Most sectors of the economy will be negatively impacted and that affects career prospects. I advise young people to consider emigrating.

durham_lad Jul 10th 2018 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12530560)
Robin 1234

Six and a half years ? I think Armageddon may ensue before then.

6 years? No problem, be over in no time, WWII just flew by.