Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Wridgeways removals...Our story!!!!!!!

Wridgeways removals...Our story!!!!!!!

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 3:46 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Wridgeways removals...Our story!!!!!!!

Just thought I'd let you know about our removal drama..

When we left Perth our furniture was left with Wridgeways to be shipped out to the UK. Our stuff arrived in UK around August and had to go into storage with White and Co in London until we moved into our house in Nov.

Whites delivered the furniture and as we checked over it we realised that quite a lot of the larger items were damaged. Fridge freezer/tables/cabinets/chest of drawers etc.

After emailing Wridgeways in Perth, I was told that because our container had been in storage with Whites our insurance ran out the minute it was delivered to them? They classed delivey to Whites as door to door?? We were offered insurance with Whites but I turned it down as I didn't think we'd need it whilst it was just sitting there waiting to come to our new address.

Even though some of the items had suffered damage by being incorrectly packaged (drawer handles pushed into the wood of the drawers) they will not pay out a penny!

You know I knew this when I took out the insurance that it's a complete waste of money. The insurance we paid was $600.

I will email head office in melbourne to see what they have to say but I don't think it will help
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wridgeways removals...Our story!!!!!!!

Janey, I'm so sorry for you. after all you've been through and Australia is still causing you heartache!

If it's any consolation, it happens in reverse too. Our friends moved out here a few months ago and when all their stuff was unpacked they had some major damage to lot's of things. Now the removal Company are arguing the toss and the insurance Company are doing their damndest to get out of paying.

It's all a bit of a con. They take your money (lot's of it) move your furniture and when a problem is hit they deny all knowledge.

Good luck and have a very merry, proper Christmas!
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Janey, I'm so sorry for you. after all you've been through and Australia is still causing you heartache!

If it's any consolation, it happens in reverse too. Our friends moved out here a few months ago and when all their stuff was unpacked they had some major damage to lot's of things. Now the removal Company are arguing the toss and the insurance Company are doing their damndest to get out of paying.

It's all a bit of a con. They take your money (lot's of it) move your furniture and when a problem is hit they deny all knowledge.

Good luck and have a very merry, proper Christmas!

Probably the best thing people can do is take photos of the condition of their belongings before it is packed and witnessed, prefably by the removalists themselves (if anything they may be more damn careful!) and then take photos on unpacking and any damage again is documented, harder for them to argue. Failing no action send the photos to the press.
Old Dec 24th 2004, 10:59 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

We photographed our must expensive items of furniture before moving to the States. They knew we were picky, and thus took great care with our belongings.

I hope it works out for you

-Becs
Old Dec 25th 2004, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really understand why we have to take insurance out when we pay a removal company to ship our possesions. We pay them a lot of money to do the job and part of that job is to ensure safe and careful delivery on all items. Why is it then that the customer then has to pay extra to insure the items? Doesn't this let the removal company off the hook for being as careful as they should be?

In our case we are missing one carton and we are being told to make an insurance claim but I'd like to know what's happened to it and an explanation for it not turning up.
Old Dec 25th 2004, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
I don't really understand why we have to take insurance out when we pay a removal company to ship our possesions. We pay them a lot of money to do the job and part of that job is to ensure safe and careful delivery on all items. Why is it then that the customer then has to pay extra to insure the items? Doesn't this let the removal company off the hook for being as careful as they should be?

In our case we are missing one carton and we are being told to make an insurance claim but I'd like to know what's happened to it and an explanation for it not turning up.
In some countries the Removal Companies don't have to have insurance.
Under Australian law, Removal Companies do not have to carry insurance. However, as part of some Removal companies membership qualification, members must have public liability insurance, comprehensive third part motor vehicle insurance and Fire, Flood, Collision and Overturning insurance for their own protection

If your goods have not been packed by the Removalist, they can take no responsibility for their contents in the event of any damages/breakages

If the Removalist packs it, and If you can prove that the Removalist did not use due care or skill and therefore was negligent, they will be responsible for the damage.
Old Dec 26th 2004, 12:55 pm
Linda Max

same here, our stuff landed up with White and co. Our delivery time was changed again and again. Our container had been opened by Whites, our goods shoved onto a lorry. Heaps of damage, spa pool not delivered until 10 days later. Really pissed off, as we were told that only customs could open our container, if they dident, then seal would only be broken at our house. I am about to go into battle with insurance company. Trouble is we are still renovating, and have not unpacked much, what's in store when we finally unpack the rest, and how long do we have to make a claim. Will keep in touch with you.