Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Question about London Accommodations...

Question about London Accommodations...

Old Dec 27th 2004, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

Brichheve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about London Accommodations...

Just curious, my fiance's K-1 Visa interview is January 14 in London, and he's trying to figure out where to stay that would be in nice walking distance from everywhere he needs to go.

I know I've seen places listed before, but darned if I can find the right threads. Any suggestions?

Thanks much, all!
Old Dec 27th 2004, 6:09 pm
Banned

WarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant future
Default Re: Question about London Accommodations...

Originally Posted by Brichheve
Just curious, my fiance's K-1 Visa interview is January 14 in London, and he's trying to figure out where to stay that would be in nice walking distance from everywhere he needs to go.

I know I've seen places listed before, but darned if I can find the right threads. Any suggestions?

Thanks much, all!
We just got back from our interview and stayed in The New Lindon Hotel, £35 a night, and just two tube stops from the embassy.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Smaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WarriorLife
We just got back from our interview and stayed in The New Lindon Hotel, £35 a night, and just two tube stops from the embassy.
My interview is the 13th

Would you recommend this hotel, and did you scout around for others?
Old Dec 27th 2004, 7:40 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brichheve

Thanks much, all!
We stayed at the Mostyn for 60 quid a night. The room was great with a fab shower. The Mostyn is 5 mins walk to Dr Phelan's and 10 mins walk to the embassy.

Most recommend the Bryanstan (sp?) opposite Dr Phelan's but complain about the size of the rooms.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

brownsnoutuk is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, i was just reading through your time line (it seemed youd been waiting a long time)

my fiance pointed out that the police certificate should be 3 months old maximum.

does anybody else know if this is true??? cause otherwise SMAUG needs another certificate - and because mine might be considered out of the three months, i might be in trouble aswell. i received it on October 14th, my interview is january 11th.

any ideas??
Old Dec 27th 2004, 11:07 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brownsnoutuk
hi, i was just reading through your time line (it seemed youd been waiting a long time)

my fiance pointed out that the police certificate should be 3 months old maximum.

does anybody else know if this is true??? cause otherwise SMAUG needs another certificate - and because mine might be considered out of the three months, i might be in trouble aswell. i received it on October 14th, my interview is january 11th.

any ideas??
Where did your fiance hear that? No, it doesn't need to be 3 months old as far as I know. Mine certainly wasn't.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 11:20 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smaug
My interview is the 13th

Would you recommend this hotel, and did you scout around for others?
The Bryanston and its sister hotel the Concorde are used for location and price not for atmosphere. . For one night you can put up with most anything. Now if I were going to London for a holiday, yes, there are other places I would stay.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

Smaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne
Where did your fiance hear that? No, it doesn't need to be 3 months old as far as I know. Mine certainly wasn't.
I've heard that they're good for (but don't quote me ;p) 6 months, and I've also heard a year.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 12:02 am
Stuff and Nonsense

Originally Posted by Smaug
I've heard that they're good for (but don't quote me ;p) 6 months, and I've also heard a year.
They're good for a year. Stop worrying
Old Dec 28th 2004, 9:25 am
Banned

WarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant future

I never understand 'hotel snobs'. Let's face it, the basic premise of a hotel is a place to sleep and store your luggage whilst you are away from home.

Yes, I like to splurge myself with a posh hotel during a well earned luxury vacation, but people who cannot stay 1/2 nights in a hotel without whining about the size of the room/shower and how the front door isn't coated in marble, with a grand piano in the foyet, etc etc...well you people need to get out more.

It's a gross waste of money. 2* hotels always do the job for me, as long as they are clean, comfortable and safe. The money I save from not checking into some £100 a night place, I spend on a nice meal.

Ave Kim Pueblo.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 12:20 pm
~ Mr & Mrs ~

mvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant future

We stayed at the Best Western Mostyn Hotel. This must be a fairly popular place for the 'immigration' crowd, as the friendly bellman said 'I'll bet you're back here for 1 o'clock' as we checked our bag with him, and we hadn't yet said what the purpose of our visit was! Must've overheard our yank/brit chatter
Old Dec 28th 2004, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Brichheve is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Question about London Accommodations...

Very helpful, thank you all! I'm having John look stuff up so we know where to stow him for a night!

Woo hoo! Very excited, we're almost through this stage!