Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Worried about Pets upon Return

Worried about Pets upon Return

Old Oct 6th 2008, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

lalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nice
Default Worried about Pets upon Return

Hi There Everyone
Its Lalalalou again i am almost home' i few more weeks and i am back to the land of the living'
I have a question if anyone out there has info its greatly appreciated; My question is Do anybody know what happens when you arrive the other end with your pet' i have all paperwork done and we are almost aboard with pets, but if they happen to go into Quarantine how do it work' are the pets taken from you and you are told of the proceedures of what is going to happen and where they will be, or do we have to set up the Q proceedures before we arrive' by the time we get back into u.k pet will be 3 months to early upon arrival' is there any chance that they may pass pets through or is it a definite they go to Quarantine I know the laws are not leinent in u.k'
But we do not want to leave them in kennels in Canada and wait for the 6 months to pass' i want them to get on board the same time as us' and prefere pets go into Q in u.k?
Any info would be great so far i have had great advice and feedback and i am thankfull to all help out there
Lalalaloubell
x
Old Oct 6th 2008, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

wiltshire_1 will become famous soon enoughwiltshire_1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Worried about Pets upon Return

Sadly your pets will have to go into quarantine for the full 6 months. Is there now way you can stay for that final 3 months to save them doing quarantine. Could you leave them with someone for 3 months in Canada maybe??

You will need to have them booked into quarantine in the UK before you leave Canada. They will then advise you of the procedures upon arrival.

Hope this helps - I really would try to let them stay in Canada for the remaining 3 months tho'. Six months is a long time for them in quarantine.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 6:05 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read of the Defra link ... Canada is listed as a participant for the pet travel scheme so if you follow the procedures required your dogs may not have to do quarantine at all. Depends if they have had rabies shots etc. Anyway, the site lists all you need to know and do and also what the vet needs to do and also has forms for vet to fill in, available to print off. If you are in any doubt you can phone defra direct and speak to someone direct.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar...res/owners.htm
Old Oct 6th 2008, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

lalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nice

Thanks for the info guys
Sadly i have no one to leave the pets with' sounds strange that i know' but there are no friends here to be add thats another story???
The pet scheme suggested i leave them in Kennels here in Canada' then they will get them on board when the time is up' but i dont want to leave them behind' (because there will be no visiting from me once im in u.k)
I had read something in the Defra that under extreme curcumstances they may leave pets through' and im thinking im going to take that risk' all their paper work is done except for the 48 hours tick/tapeworm that will be signed by my vet before we leave' i am very worried???? but even more so if i leave them behind' by the time we get onto the flight' it will be 3 months short of the full 6 months'
Do that mean that they still go into Q for another full 6 months' i do have some info of Q (tele numbers in u.k from and expat friend here' she also suggested i call ahead' what should i do take the risk and plead ignorant !!!!!or better to do it the right way and prepare for the Q before we leave.
Thanks for the Help
Im desperate here with worry
Lalalaou
x
Old Oct 6th 2008, 7:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lalaloubell
Thanks for the info guys
Sadly i have no one to leave the pets with' sounds strange that i know' but there are no friends here to be add thats another story???
The pet scheme suggested i leave them in Kennels here in Canada' then they will get them on board when the time is up' but i dont want to leave them behind' (because there will be no visiting from me once im in u.k)
I had read something in the Defra that under extreme curcumstances they may leave pets through' and im thinking im going to take that risk' all their paper work is done except for the 48 hours tick/tapeworm that will be signed by my vet before we leave' i am very worried???? but even more so if i leave them behind' by the time we get onto the flight' it will be 3 months short of the full 6 months'
Do that mean that they still go into Q for another full 6 months' i do have some info of Q (tele numbers in u.k from and expat friend here' she also suggested i call ahead' what should i do take the risk and plead ignorant !!!!!or better to do it the right way and prepare for the Q before we leave.
Thanks for the Help
Im desperate here with worry
Lalalaou
x
Quite honestly I don't think you have any chance of taking your pet straight home. Providing you've got him chipped, vaccinated, tested and the papers are OK he will only have to stay in UK quarantine for the outstanding months. Therefore from the time line you've given his stay will be 3 months.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Quite honestly I don't think you have any chance of taking your pet straight home. Providing you've got him chipped, vaccinated, tested and the papers are OK he will only have to stay in UK quarantine for the outstanding months. Therefore from the time line you've given his stay will be 3 months.
Thanks Hun thats what i guessed' so i make arrangments for the Q before i leave' would you know what all this would cost at the other end rough idea' and would they put pet in Q near where your going to live' do they get picked up at airport and such' im going through the Defra now. and all paperwork microchipp and everything is done its just the bloodwork drawn after the Rabies is the prob its to early really to leave, we should be leaving in Feb all said and done so they can go straight home' but i have to leave pretty soon?
Thanks so much for the Info
Lalalou
x
Old Oct 6th 2008, 7:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Hun thats what i guessed' so i make arrangments for the Q before i leave' would you know what all this would cost at the other end rough idea' and would they put pet in Q near where your going to live' do they get picked up at airport and such' im going through the Defra now. and all paperwork microchipp and everything is done its just the bloodwork drawn after the Rabies is the prob its to early really to leave, we should be leaving in Feb all said and done so they can go straight home' but i have to leave pretty soon?
Thanks so much for the Info
Lalalou
x
I have no idea how much it will cost sorry. You do realise your pet must go into a DEFRA approved quarantine kennel...the last time I looked (several years ago) there weren't that many around. I would think the kennels will have to collect the pet from the airport...I am pretty sure you will not be allowed to take it to the kennels.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to everyone
I am on board with it now' its was the defra pets scheme that is doing the transport' its was they that suggested we leave the pets in kennels until time is up' then pets would be picked up from kennels in Canada and transported by the defra pets scheme to u.k'
The Q i have gotten the info and the Q places for them to stay in u.k and the costs.
All said and done the best way to work it is wait' until pets are ready and let the pets scheme do they work at a later date' that way we will be able to take pets straight home.
Thanks Everyone Help was greatly appreicated
Lalalalou
x
Old Oct 6th 2008, 10:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks to everyone
I am on board with it now' its was the defra pets scheme that is doing the transport' its was they that suggested we leave the pets in kennels until time is up' then pets would be picked up from kennels in Canada and transported by the defra pets scheme to u.k'
The Q i have gotten the info and the Q places for them to stay in u.k and the costs.
All said and done the best way to work it is wait' until pets are ready and let the pets scheme do they work at a later date' that way we will be able to take pets straight home.
Lalalalou
x
Use the search tab located at the top of the page to search for old threads in this forum...there's quite a few! There's loads of info about taking dogs back to the UK...prices, quarantine etc .

Go to advanced search...in the top left hand box type in something like 'taking dogs back to the UK'...make sure you search for 'search for titles only'. Then go over to the large box on the right hand side...choose MBTTUK forum...then press the search button. Also take a look in the Wiki UK section...the Wiki tab is also at the top of this page.

Give me a shout if you need any help locating them.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:49 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Thanks to everyone
Lalalalou
x
We are in a similar situation to you, our dog is nearly 6 weeks short of being able to fly, we considered quarantine in the UK but the costs are horrendous and the kennels look spartan, so we looked into a pet minder here. You pay them and they care for your pet in their own home (let them sleep on their bed, walk and brush them etc) until the pet shipper takes them. Its expensive, about $25 a day, but still cheaper than quarantine. Another option is a kennel which treats dogs a little differently, there is one here that allows the dogs to run together in a fenced enclosure during the day, and they all sleep together in the house at night. I feel better leaving my dog here knowing he will be cared for, and then 6 weeks later I can just collect him from the airport in London
Old Oct 8th 2008, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

jamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nice

Hi we are back to the uk in 3 weeks,we have only been here 3 mths but going home oct 23 fingers crossed,we are taking our dog back with us and he will go stright into quaraintine,don't want him to but can't stay here any longer,we can visit when every we want and picked a kennal that is near wales as there are none in wales.
The company have sorted all the paper work for me and they will pick him up from the air port.
Its going to be hard to leave him but i don't trust the vets to do the pet passport over here as i was told about one lady who waited the 6 mths in canada with her cat and when she got back to the uk the cat didnt pass.so he had to go into a cattery anyway.
If you want anymore info please email me and i will give you they number
Good luck with everything
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cherry6
We are in a similar situation to you, our dog is nearly 6 weeks short of being able to fly, we considered quarantine in the UK but the costs are horrendous and the kennels look spartan, so we looked into a pet minder here. You pay them and they care for your pet in their own home (let them sleep on their bed, walk and brush them etc) until the pet shipper takes them. Its expensive, about $25 a day, but still cheaper than quarantine. Another option is a kennel which treats dogs a little differently, there is one here that allows the dogs to run together in a fenced enclosure during the day, and they all sleep together in the house at night. I feel better leaving my dog here knowing he will be cared for, and then 6 weeks later I can just collect him from the airport in London
Thanks cherry
that sound comforting for you' good luck my love happy times ahead when you meet with you pet again
Lalalala
x
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jamie677
Hi we are back to the uk in 3 weeks,we have only been here 3 mths but going home oct 23 fingers crossed,we are taking our dog back with us and he will go stright into quaraintine,don't want him to but can't stay here any longer,we can visit when every we want and picked a kennal that is near wales as there are none in wales.
The company have sorted all the paper work for me and they will pick him up from the air port.
Its going to be hard to leave him but i don't trust the vets to do the pet passport over here as i was told about one lady who waited the 6 mths in canada with her cat and when she got back to the uk the cat didnt pass.so he had to go into a cattery anyway.
If you want anymore info please email me and i will give you they number
Good luck with everything
Thanks Jamie for that info
I can not believe what you said about the Lady and her cat' mmmm
We are thinking to wait for the correct time of leaving that will take us to Jan,
i wondered if the lady had all the right paperwork done for the poor cat' after all that wait and then not to pass, how could they do that, thats a worry!!!! It sounds so stressfull trying to get the pets into u.k,it seems extreme but its the Law i guess??
i dont want to stay here either but options seem slim, with the pets.
I may e,mail you for that number when i talk it over with hubby' may i ask was it expensive?
Thanks again Hun for the Help
Good Luck
Lalalalou
x