Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Renting out Australian property whilst living in the UK

Renting out Australian property whilst living in the UK

Old Oct 6th 2008, 6:46 am
Just Joined

jamienewbold is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting out Australian property whilst living in the UK

My partner and I are moving back to London soon (JAN 09). We have owned and living in our Sydney unit for 1yr and have 21 yrs of a 30yr mortgage to pay off.
We want to keep it as we convinced it will only go up in value over the years.

My question is what are the tax implications of renting out our property whilst living in London? E.g - Do we pay tax on the $550 rental income p/w and if so, can we still claim deductions back on this taxable income (even though we'll be outside Oz and or only Aussie income will be the rent) and/or also carry forward any additional deductions whilst outside of Oz for when we move back in "X" amount of yrs (maybe 5-15yrs, maybe never, maybe we'll just sell it in 10 yrs)?

We will have around $500 excess to pay each wk to cover mortgage and other costs....

Cheers.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:44 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting out Australian property whilst living in the UK

Originally Posted by jamienewbold
My partner and I are moving back to London soon (JAN 09). We have owned and living in our Sydney unit for 1yr and have 21 yrs of a 30yr mortgage to pay off.
We want to keep it as we convinced it will only go up in value over the years.

My question is what are the tax implications of renting out our property whilst living in London? E.g - Do we pay tax on the $550 rental income p/w and if so, can we still claim deductions back on this taxable income (even though we'll be outside Oz and or only Aussie income will be the rent) and/or also carry forward any additional deductions whilst outside of Oz for when we move back in "X" amount of yrs (maybe 5-15yrs, maybe never, maybe we'll just sell it in 10 yrs)?

We will have around $500 excess to pay each wk to cover mortgage and other costs....

Cheers.
We are doing this and as far as I'm aware if the mortgage repayments are more than the rental income i.e. you are not making any money then you are not liable for tax at all.

Bear in mind that in order to avoid having to pay CGT if and when you do sell you would have to maintain that this is your principal residence. That means living in it once every 6 years. I am not sure how long you have to live in it for though! Hope that helps!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 4:11 am
Just Joined

jamienewbold is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renting out Australian property whilst living in the UK

Great, thanks...... This is what i was thinking/hoping for!